Subject: RE: offlist Re: Two things bothering me (was Re: Jim Fleming's po sting privilleges have been revoked)

From: Lillian Komlossy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:51:36 -0400

Notes and comments below.

Lillian Komlossy || Site Manager || http://www.dmnews.com ||
http://www.imarketingnews.com || 212 925-7300 ext. 232 ||
mailto:[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: grenville armitage [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 2:33 PM
To: Lillian Komlossy
Subject: offlist Re: Two things bothering me (was Re: Jim Fleming's
posting privilleges have been revoked)

>>Some of us give thanks for our freedoms by continuing
>>to defend our rights, including the right to engage in
>>discussion of, and defense of, curtailing the posting
>>activities of long-time trolls.

-->comment: defending your rights can be done with respect - I don't see a
lot of that going on here lately.

>>If you haven't been around the IETF long enough to know
>>Jim Fleming, please don't belittle those of us who have
>>actually had enough of him.

-->comment: My remarks were meant to be constructive and not intended to
belittle any one. I'm sure you did not mean to be patronise or belittle me
either when you 'classified' me as someone who has not been around the IETF
long enough? Without knowing anything about me except my name and gender of
course? I, as many other Americans, have just recently been reminded of what
is really important. If your remarks are constructive, calm and not
delivered from a high horse then you offered the respect you wish to be
treated with. I hope I did this in my original letter.

>>"Why can't we all just get along" ?  Because getting along
>>sometimes involve repairing fences. And fences are rarely
>>un-controversial.

-->comment: True but again you can do it different ways. And again, you do
it with a cliche - if I wanted to be offended by that, feeling 'belittled' I
could. I never said 'Why can't we all just get along?'

I have been enjoying and learning from many threads and debates on this list
and most of those threads were all written in a respectful, witty, and
constructive way. And they are achieving a lot more than just 'mending
fences'. 

I suggest again - respectfully - to drop this thread and move on to more
constructive issues. This will give everyone the best idea of what this list
is all about and what the topic is. 

God Bless All,
Lillian

gja

Lillian Komlossy wrote:
> 
> 1. You have revoked his privileges but have not stopped this controversial
> and inflammatory e-mail thread about him. Draw your own conclusions why
this
> is wrong.
> 
> 2. I am looking out my office window onto a place where two towers stood,
> breathing smoldering rubble for over a Month and some of you are
complaining
> that you are inconvenienced. Folks all this is minor, not worth getting
into
> it. Jim's privileges were restricted for a period of time, let it be,
leave
> it alone - let everyone (including Jim) draw their own conclusions about
it.
> Respect this by not mentioning it. There is a lot of work to do, you're
all
> here, give thanks and get back to work.
> 
> God Bless All,
> 
> Lillian
> 
> Lillian Komlossy || Site Manager || http://www.dmnews.com ||
> http://www.imarketingnews.com || 212 925-7300 ext. 232 ||
> mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: grenville armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:50:59 -0700

Lillian,

I took the ietf list off the cc line of my response to you.
It is poor ettiquette, and not a little hypocritical, to put
*back* on the ietf list a discussion thread whose very existence
you just complained about.

I apologise to the entire list for Lillian's behavior.

gja