Subject: Printing Internet Drafts

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:44:47 -0700

Hi, 

I have a question on how to print Internet Draft with the right pagination
on Windows machine. 

Take the document below as an example, 

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-msword-template-06.txt

If I print this document from Internet Explorer or notepad, the page breaks
occur at the wrong place. 

If I type "type draft-hain-msword-template-06.txt > LPT1" in the cmd window.
The page breaks appears at the right place, but the font has changed. 

Do you have any suggestion on how to print the draft with right pagination
on Windows machines?

Thanks. 

Ting

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:09:31 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> I have a question on how to print Internet Draft with the right 
> pagination on Windows machine.
> 
> If I print this document from Internet Explorer or notepad, the page 
> breaks occur at the wrong place.

Neither interprets CTL-L as page break.

You can replace "^L" with "\page" and save as "*.rtf", and reopen in 
Word. However, see below. Even the CTL-L's aren't guaranteed correct.

> If I type "type draft-hain-msword-template-06.txt > LPT1" in the cmd 
> window. The page breaks appears at the right place, but the font has 
> changed.
> 
> Do you have any suggestion on how to print the draft with right 
> pagination on Windows machines?

FWIW, ID's don't necessarily have the 'right' pagination on any OS. 
Pagination is enforced for RFCs only, AFAICT.

Joe

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:36:37 -0400

> I have a question on how to print Internet Draft with the right pagination on
> Windows machine.

there are two sub-classes of this problem:

1. internet-drafts with correct pagination won't print correctly on Windows 
   because Windows doesn't support printing ASCII documents.

   if you install DOS printing support for your printer, you might be able 
   to get such documents to print by opening a DOS window and typing

   COPY draft-xxx-yyy-NN.txt PRN

   I don't know whether this works in recent versions of Windows because 
   I don't use Windows.  

   Out of sympathy for Windows users, I set up the RFCs in PDF web page

   http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/RFC-PDF/

   I suppose I could do something similar for Internet-Drafts.

   Of course the best solution is to use operating systems that support
   open standards like ASCII.
   
2. internet-drafts with incorrect pagination

   many people produce internet drafts with incorrect pagination or no
   pagination.  these documents don't print correctly on *any* system.

Keith

---

From: Kevin Farley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 14:22:09 -0700 (PDT)

For what its worth, and maybe its just that I haven't mucked around
with the standard templates for MS Word, but I print ID's and RFC's
through MS Word by adjusting page setup.

If you open the plain text ID text document and set the page setup to
0.9" top margin and 0.8" bottom margin, it should be fine. You can
verify this by switching the view to Print Layout from the View menu.

For an RFC document, use 0.9" top and 0.9" bottom as they are
apparently different.

At least this works for me, Office 2K on Win 2K. YMMV.

-Kevin

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Make a great connection at Yahoo! Personals.
http://personals.yahoo.com