Subject: RE: about 802.1x

From: TOMSON ERIC <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:38:28 +0200

I'm not sure, but I guess there will be no 802.1Q VLAN tagging, while there will be 802.1p prioritization tagging.
I mean, those frames would not use the VLAN tagging fields, while they would use the priority fields.
Could somebody confirm?

E.T.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]

hi

  In 7.4 of  IEEE Std 802.1x-2001, why to say " EAPOL frames transmitted by a PAE 

  shall not be VLAN  tagged, but may optionally be priority tagged"?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:08:50 -0700

I think that is what the quoted passage means.  I would guess that it is 
stated because the EAPOL frames are meant to be "host to switch" 
communication, and therefore, tagging is not needed.

Regards,

Justin

On Thursday, October 18, 2001, at 06:38 AM, TOMSON ERIC wrote:

> I'm not sure, but I guess there will be no 802.1Q VLAN tagging, while 
> there will be 802.1p prioritization tagging.
---
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        |
Director of Technology                 |   If you're not confused,
Nexsi Systems Corp.                    |   You're not paying attention
1959 Concourse Drive                   |
San Jose, CA  95131                    |
*--------------------------------------*-------------------------------*