Subject: RE: Jim Fleming, Microsoft and the american way to go...

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:56:52 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jim Fleming [mailto:[email-masked]]
>
> (...)
>
> On October 25, 2001....Microsoft will make it possible for any person
> with a single IPv4 address to begin building the Next Generation
> Internet.
> Clearly, ICANN, the IETF, the IAB, and the IESG will not be supporting
> that evolution and the freedom of all people to communicate....America
> will...
>
> (...)

I wonder whether such comments are worth a reply... In any case, Windows
XP does indeed support the standard Internet protocols. It includes an
IPv4 stack, and an IPv6 stack that is targeted at software developers,
to help them port their Windows applications to IPv6 and test them; we
expect to upgrade this stack in future releases as specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/ipv6/. The IPv6 stack does include transition
tools such as 6to4 or ISATAP, which have been developed by the NGTRANS
working group of the IETF. Misrepresenting these tools for some kind of
alternative Internet is sheer lunacy.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:59:06 -0500

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/select/1098/int.html
"POSTEL: It's perfectly appropriate to be upset. I thought of it in a
slightly different way--like a space that we were exploring and, in the
early days, we figured out this consistent path through the space: IP, TCP,
and so on. What's been happening over the last few years is that the IETF is
filling the rest of the space with every alternative approach, not
necessarily any better. Every possible alternative is now being written
down. And it's not useful."