Subject: Re: Why IPv6 is a must to more detail

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:31:08 -0400

> we can denote a node of now a day's Intranet as proxy
> ip address & node's IP address in the Intranet. eg
> 202.118.48.1.10.100.141.80

Do you remember bang paths? That's what you're proposing.  Deep pain.

John Stracke
Principal Engineer
Incentive Systems, Inc.
[email-masked]

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 17:20:14 +0200

> Do you remember bang paths? That's what you're proposing.  Deep pain.

Also "poor man's routing" in DECnet Phase IV. A real nuisance, and
absolutely not a permanent solution.

There were several proposals for effectively extending IPv4 addresses
in 1992/1994 and they were all analysed in some detail: none of them
really worked, which is why we started IPv6. RFC 1752 gives an overview
of the final decision.

  Brian