Subject: Changed spam filtering for the IETF list

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 14:16:54 +0200

As many users have noted, spam on the IETF list has been increasing, as 
well as other "interesting" stuff (virii et al).

The IETF secretariat has now implemented a new admission control function, 
which we hope will help.
The new function is as follows:

- All list subscribers have the right to post.
- All mail sent to the list that is not obviously spam, virii or similar 
will be manually forwarded to the list within one working day (Secretariat 
time).
- Anyone sending mail that is forwarded under the rule above will be added 
to the list of people permitted to post.

A list of previous posters has been used to initialize the list of 
permitted posters, so most active IETF list contributors should not notice 
the change.
The IETF postmaster ([email-masked]) will handle any problems; this 
function is also being improved as part of this effort.

We hope that this change will increase the satisfaction of users of the 
IETF list, and contribute to a positive dialogue.

Thank you.

           Harald Tveit Alvestrand
               IETF chair