Subject: Re: Printing Internet Drafts

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:38:09 -0400

Ting,

Assuming you use MS Word, here are a few steps to perfectly printed I-Ds:

1. Save the I-D from your browser to your hard drive as a .txt file (not HTML).
2. Start MS Word and open the draft in Word.
3. Use Print Preview to see how it will print (scroll down a few pages to
check it out).  Usually, it'll look just fine, but sometimes the pages
overflow and you get two pages to be printed for every one in the
document.  In that case, use the ruler on the left of the print preview
window to increase the page length until the I-D pages fit.
4. Print to your hearts content.

Occasionally, a draft will use lots of white page between pages rather than
form feeds.  These are notoriously difficult to print correctly, and if I
really need hardcopy I will usually use global replace to replace the white
space with a page separator.

Cheers,
Andy

-----

At 10/23/2001 11:44 AM -0700, [email-masked] wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a question on how to print Internet Draft with the right pagination
>on Windows machine.
>
>Take the document below as an example,
>
><http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-msword-template-06.txt>http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-msword-template-06.txt
>
>
>If I print this document from Internet Explorer or notepad, the page
>breaks occur at the wrong place.
>
>If I type "type draft-hain-msword-template-06.txt > LPT1" in the cmd
>window. The page breaks appears at the right place, but the font has changed.
>
>Do you have any suggestion on how to print the draft with right pagination
>on Windows machines?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Ting

---

From: "Ole J. Jacobsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:34:28 -0700 (PDT)

In the Good Old Days ... it used to be possible to put any laser printer
into "Diablo mode" where it would basically behave much like a line
printer and grok <ctrl>-L correctly as a form feed. It would also form
feed every 66 lines or so in any case, so the block of blank lines at
the bottom would work like magic.

I am not sure how to do this anymore, nor do I know if it is supported by
so-called modern laser printers, but it sure would be nice if a group this
large and this wise could come up with a simple hack to fix this forever.

(On all platforms, that is...)

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen 
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal
Office of the CTO, Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972
GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 22:31:02 -0400

> (On all platforms, that is...)

Unix platforms usually have 'enscript', which will, when not slicing, dicing,
and making julienne fries, will cause your document to appear in 12-pt Courier
with reasonable pagination.

And why would you need anything other than Word on a Microsoft-based
platform, or need to print it in a format other than what Word supports?

I admit not knowing enough about any other "major" platforms to make
suggestions (IBM's VM has a 'PRINT' command that DTRT, as does MVS).

/Valdis

This message has been virus-checked but not troll-checked before sending.

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 12:51:49 +0100 (BST)

> with reasonable pagination.

never heard of it before. What's wrong with a2ps, which gives 2up
etc. while obeying ^L? psbook etc are also useful.

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 06:19:29 -0700

At 06:34 PM 10/23/2001, Ole J. Jacobsen wrote:
>but it sure would be nice if a group this

do away with pre-formatted pagination.  rely on section numbers for references.

d/

----------
Dave Crocker  <mailto:[email-masked]>
Brandenburg InternetWorking  <http://www.brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:05:00 -0400

> do away with pre-formatted pagination.

that can significantly degrade presentation, particularly when figures
or tables are involved.

Keith

---

From: Matt Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:24:38 -0500

> do away with pre-formatted pagination.  rely on section numbers for

Then you would keep tables and ascii-art diagrams from
being split ... how?

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 12:08:38 -0700 (PDT)

I have some fan fold-paper and an impact printer I can send you... ;)

joelja

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joel Jaeggli				       [email-masked]
Academic User Services			     [email-masked]
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 18:36:56 -0400

> I have some fan fold-paper and an impact printer I can send you... ;)

well, if every Windows user would just get an impact printer and
fan fold paper, they wouldn't be whining to us about not being able 
to print :)

Keith