Subject: CDT Calls on Internet Activists to Urge Support for Feingold Amendments to Anti-Terrorism Bills Date: 10 Oct 2001 19:22:27 -0400

From: William Allen Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 00:11:31 -0400

More....  I haven't seen the proposed amendments yet.  But this is a
broader call than just our Internet Engineering groups.

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 17:31:05 -0400
From: Ari Schwartz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: CDT Calls on Internet Activists to Urge Support for Feingold
Amendments to Anti-Terrorism Bills
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: Ari Schwartz <[email-masked]>

CDT has sent out a message to Internet activists across the country asking
them to urge their Senators to support Senator Russell Feingold's (D-WI)
amendments to the Senate Anti-Terrorism Bill.

Sen. Feingold is planning to offer amendments Thursday morning that will
address some of the privacy concerns raised by the pending bills, by
requiring government surveillance to be more focused and subject to
meaningful judicial controls.

The message sent to CDT's lists of activists; is available below; and is
posted on the CDT site.

-----

Dear Activist:

Things are moving very fast on Capitol Hill.  Legislation to expand
government surveillance will be considered by the Senate (and maybe the
House) on Thursday, October 11.

In the Senate, Sen. Russ Feingold is planning to offer amendments Thursday
morning that will address some of the privacy concerns raised by the pending
bills, by requiring government surveillance to be more focused and subject
to meaningful judicial controls.  CDT supports the Feingold amendments.

You can make a difference. Call your Senators in Washington right away and
let them know that you think civil liberties should be part of the balance
as we move forward to protect our country from terrorism.  Urge them to
support the Feingold privacy amendments

BACKGROUND

Following the horrendous attacks of September 11, it is clear that US anti-
terrorism efforts need to be improved.  Unfortunately, there has been little
time to develop a response that is effective and does not unnecessarily
infringe civil liberties.  Legislation moving quickly through Congress
involves some fundamental changes in the surveillance laws.  Most of the
changes are not limited to terrorism cases, but concern all crimes and all
intelligence investigations.

Among other things, the bills would:

* Allow FBI to seize any and all stored records (medical records,
educational records, stored e-mail) in intelligence cases without a search
warrant.

* Allow computer system operators to authorize government surveillance
without a court order (the computer trespasser provision).

* Authorize roving taps in intelligence cases without clear guidelines,
allowing government to monitor pay phones, library computers, cell phones
without first determining who is using the device.

* Allow secret searches (searches without notice at the time of the search)
in all criminal cases.

* Extend government surveillance under minimal standards to broad categories
of Internet data  - all "routing, addressing and signaling information" (the
"pen register" provision).

For full background the current civil liberties issues with the bill, please
see CDT's latest policy post --
  http://www.cdt.org/publications/pp_7.10.shtml

Also, the New York Times on October 10 explained the current situation in
the Senate and Sen Feingold's concerns--
  http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/10/national/10RIGH.html

WHAT YOU CAN DO--MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD

1. Call your your Senators

    - Sen. XXX at (202) 224-3121

Tell the person who answers the phone that you hope your Senator will
support the Feingold privacy amendment to the terrorism bill, so that it
adequately protects civil liberties when giving the government new
surveillance powers.

Use these words if you feel tongue-tied:

Staffer: Hello, Sen. XXX's office.

You: Hello.  I'm a constituent calling to urge the Senator to support the
Feingold privacy amendments to the anti-terrorism bill. Government needs to
fight terrorism, but the bill fails to protect privacy.  I'm concerned about
the provisions on Internet surveillance and roving wiretaps.  I support the
Feingold amendments setting clear limits on government surveillance.

Staffer: I'll tell the Senator.  Thanks, bye!

2. Let CDT know how it went! Go to
    http://www.cdt.org/action/feedback.cgi?membid=wijr, and use
    the feedback form to tell us what happened. Or you can send an email
    back to me at [email-masked].

3. Lastly, please forward this message to other individuals interested in
    protecting privacy and free expression on the Internet . They can find
information about their Senators at http://www.cdt.org/action/. But they
need to act right away.

PLEASE NOTE:  We are asking you to call your Representatives in Washington
because studies have shown that this is the most effective way to make a
difference over a short period of time.  By the time the office reads your
email or letter it will probably be too late and a call into the district
office does not have the same impact when the Senator is in Washington.

--
To subscribe to CDT's Activist Network, sign up at:
   http://www.cdt.org/join/

If you ever wish to remove yourself from the list, unsubscribe at:
   http://www.cdt.org/action/unsubscribe.shtml

If you just want to change your address, you should unsubscribe
yourself and then sign up again or contact: [email-masked]

---

----------------------------------
CDT Update Subscription Information

E-mail questions, comments, or requests to subscribe or unsubscribe
to [email-masked] or call (202) 637-9800.

Detailed information about online civil liberties issues may be found
at http://www.cdt.org/

-----------------------------------
Ari Schwartz
Center for Democracy and Technology
1634 Eye Street NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20006
202 637 9800
fax 202 637 0968
[email-masked]
http://www.cdt.org
-----------------------------------

---

From: John Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:05:16 -0400

FYI, the text of the Feingold amendments is at:

   http://www.cdt.org/security/011011s1510feingold.pdf

and a fact sheet circulated by the Senator's office is at:

   http://www.cdt.org/security/011011feingoldfactsheet.shtml

John Morris
CDT

At 12:11 AM -0400 10/11/01, William Allen Simpson wrote:
>-
>This message was passed through [email-masked], which
>is a sublist of [email-masked]. Not all messages are passed.
>Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Raffaele D'Albenzio.

----------------------------------------
John B. Morris, Jr.
Director, Internet Standards, Technology
    & Policy Project
Center for Democracy and Technology
1634 I Street NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20006
(202) 637-9800
(202) 637-0968 fax
[email-masked]
http://www.cdt.org
----------------------------------------