Subject: RE: It's war, folks --- SSSCA formally introduced

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:27:37 -0500

>The Constitution 
>guarantees the right to make excerpts from a copyrighted work to comment 
>on it;

Clarification (since someone pointed it out): this isn't just my opinion; 
this is what the Supreme Court has ruled.

/================================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer             |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.        |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.        |
|================================================================|
|He wondered if Elli was going to buy that explanation. His taste|
|for heavily-armed girlfriends did have its drawbacks.           |
\================================================================/

---

From: james woodyatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:13:18 -0800

everyone--

Come on, folks.  It's time to get our oop in a group.

Read section 3.  The text of S. 2048 is here:

	http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/hollings.s2048.032102.html

If the CBDTPA passes (not terribly likely, but the possibility exists), 
then the FCC (the U.S. regulatory commission for radio and wired 
telecomm industries) will  be empowered to determine (among other 
things) whether the IETF has reached agreement on a "security system 
standard" for use in the Internet, and whether that standard meets the 
requirements of the act.

The CBDTPA envisions an Internet composed of hosts and routers that have 
a great deal of network-layer knowledge about "illegitimate" uses of 
copyrighted application-layer data flows.  This would be a major break 
from the Internet architecture.

Speaking only on behalf of myself, I'd like to see the IESG be proactive 
about it all, by quickly approving an informational RFC that basically 
tells the U.S. Senate that, if they don't like how the Internet works, 
then they can form their own engineering task force and require American 
Industry to build one that works the way they think it should.

In other words, I think it might help the U.S. Senate to know that they 
won't have to wait a year for the FCC to make a "negative determination" 
according to Section 3.(c), i.e. they can go directly to requiring the 
vendors and users of "digital media devices" in the United States to 
adopt Internet standards of its own making rather than those of the IETF.

Let's see how well Congress likes the taste of *that* medicine...

--
j h woodyatt <[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:52:27 -0500

> Let's see how well Congress likes the taste of *that* medicine...

Oh, they'll love it.  You'll get a protocol designed by lobbyists for lobbyists.

Let's not find out.
-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer
				Virginia Tech

---

From: William Allen Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:18:52 -0500

> Oh, they'll love it.  You'll get a protocol designed by lobbyists for lobbyists.

It exists: remember that protocol suite: ISO OSI?

-- 
William Allen Simpson
    Key fingerprint =  17 40 5E 67 15 6F 31 26  DD 0D B9 9B 6A 15 2C 32