Subject: Re: IETF Meetings - High Registration Fees

From: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 08:17:04 -0800 (PST)

BTW, slightly better than just not showing up is watching the 
multicast feed.

In fact, the more people who choose to participate this way
will indeed serve to make a justification to make this better,
i.e. real-time feedback from the network, etc.

And before anyone starts whining about not having multicast access,
the alternative is to send out unicast streams.  And of course this
creates an immense cost in terms of additional bandwidth needed out 
of the hotel.

-Kevin

---

From: Ian Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 09:03:58 -0800

> creates an immense cost in terms of additional bandwidth needed out

Point taken, but as an individual contributor I don't think I'm going to 
have much luck talking to SBC/PacBell... and I don't think individual 
contributors on the end of 56k dialup are going to be able to get much 
either.

---

From: Dennis Fazio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:24:59 -0600

> creates an immense cost in terms of additional bandwidth needed out

Well, you do have about 200Mbits/sec connected to the Hilton at the moment 
which should support a substantial number of mostly audio content feeds, 
but that's not likely to be available every meeting depending on sponsor. 
Besides, I believe you just need to send out a few streams to distribution 
reflectors elsewhere.
--
Dennis Fazio
HeatSeeker Technology Partners