Subject: Re: Last Call: IETF and ITU-T Collaboration Guidelines to Informational

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 13:36:22 -0500

>No matter who claims what about the ITU or IETF, if you want to know for 
>sure, you can refer to the respective organization's published and/or 
>working documents.

(a) The publicly available working documents may not be up-to-date.

(b) Most of the ITU's publicly available documents are not free.

/===========================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer        |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.   |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|===========================================================|
|We must be devious, cunning, inventive... too bad we're us.|
\===========================================================/

---

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 16:52:08 -0500

>They are up to date for ITU-T members.
>
>They are available to ITU-T members.

In the message I was responding to, you wrote:

>>>If I stand up (physically or virtually) in an IETF 
>>>meeting and say "the ITU-T is doing such and such", you can either 
believe 
>>>me or double check with the ITU.

My point was that I *cannot* double check.  You just confirmed it.

You're right that I still can't double-check someone authorized to speak 
for the ITU; but, if the ITU is careful about whom it authorizes, then 
such people may wind up building a reputation for 
trustworthiness--"they're probably right, or the ITU leadership 
wouldn't've authorized them".  And, if they get it wrong, then there's a 
known person to tie to the rails when the train wreck happens.

/==============================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer           |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.      |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.      |
|==============================================================|
|No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife in the shoulderblades|
|will cramp his style.                                         |
\==============================================================/