Subject: Utility of dynamic DNS

From: [email-masked] (Dan Kolis)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 18:56:14 -0500

Randy Bush <[email-masked]> suggested a URL about dynamic relocation and the
DNS at:

http://ops.ietf.org/dns/dynupd/secure-ddns-howto.html

Its very interesting and a bit over my head, perhaps. Maybe its a <>"friday"
document!

"Why Dynamic Update?
Dynamic update proposes to provide a workable solution to the seemingly
trivial operation of exchanging data between two computers with known names
both visiting a foreign network where we don't know, care or trust the
underlying address. This feature has long been available for specific
platforms, but a general OS-agnostic method has been lacking."

Especially the crypto components I find pretty complex but one thing I know
is that its *not* a "trivial operation".

Especially when you start to consider how little you might know about the
network your on. It seems like there must be loopholes all over for
intentially letting your app fail to do a thing so the story of how it
failed reveals things that have security implications.

Very interesting!

Dan

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:32:31 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Pete Resnick wrote:

> >...or that there's no need for platforms to support mobile IP.
>
> Now, there is no question that anyone who thinks it's reasonable to
> change an IP address when there exists an active connection to that
> IP address is just being loopy. This is an issue for mobile IP
> (leaving aside whether the current crop of mobile IP protocols is a
> good solution for that problem), but I don't see that as the problem
> that dynamic DNS is trying to solve.

anything that starts off by confusing roaming and mobility in the very
name cannot, by definition, be a good solution to that problem.

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>