Subject: Re: [idn] Moving Towards UTF8 vs ASCII(ACE) Forever

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:55:22 -0500

Edmon Chung wrote:

>If we collectively decide that it is NEVER going to happen and we
>will stay with ACE FOREVER, then, we should stop here and live happily 
ever
>after with ACE.  But if the general direction or consensus is to move
>towards UTF8 eventually, then, we should start the work now.

That does not follow.  A UTF-8 transition would take a very long time 
(your idea about "plugins" is nonsense; there is no plugin architecture 
that can solve this problem for every app--probably not even for any app), 
so we need a good ACE solution for at least the next 5-10 years.  Starting 
on a UTF-8 plan would consume resources that could better go into making 
the ACE solution work.

/========================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer     |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.|
|========================================================|
|"Music is not a noun, it's a verb." --John Perry Barlow |
\========================================================/

---

From: "Edmon Chung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:09:45 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
> on a UTF-8 plan would consume resources that could better go into making

This is not true.  A plugin could be "non-nonsensibly" created to intercept
all domain requests and responses and doing the encode and decode for ACE
accordingly.  This is all we need to make ACE work.  Leaking issues will be
left out both for administrators to see and diagnose as well as to incent
them to upgrade later to UTF8 compliant programs.

Edmon