Subject: Category given by ID authors

From: "Jiwoong Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:10:25 +0900

Minor topic. If you are busy, MAY disregard this posting.

I thought the maturity level "Informational" is given by the RFC editor, at
the moment of its publishing.

 ---
     IRTF Routing Research Group                        F. Kastenholz,
     Internet Draft                                               (ed)
     Document <draft-irtf-routing-reqs-groupa-      Unisphere Networks
     00.txt>                                                April 2002
     Category: Informational

                     Requirements For a Next Generation
                     Routing and Addressing Architecture
                  < draft-irtf-routing-reqs-groupa-00.txt>
 ---

Since RFC 2026 reads,

4.2.2  Informational

   An "Informational" specification is published for the general
   information of the Internet community, and does not represent an
   ...
   Specifications .....may be published as
   Informational RFCs, with the permission of the owner and the
   concurrence of the RFC Editor
 ---

Jiwoong

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 23:34:12 -0400

> the moment of its publishing.

The authors are allowed, and even suggested, to assign a category, to assist
the RFC editor.  For instance, standards-track documents have requirements
regarding the maturity levels of normative references to other documents,
but informational documents require no checking for such things.

>                   < draft-irtf-routing-reqs-groupa-00.txt>

Informational is quite correct, as this is a list of requirements
that the architecture must meet - there are no actual protocol specifications
in this document.  It says "must support X, Y, and Z", but does not say
what on-the-wire bits are used to do so, nor what methods and algorithms
are used to implement it.
-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer
				Virginia Tech