Subject: Re: TCP/IP

From: "Chris Evans" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 17:24:28 -0700

Dudes, thanks for the book reference. i go to Borders fora copy
myself.

Is it OSI 8 mounth that that eats the osi7 layer buritto, like the
ones you get down in Jose's Burrito Shack.  foot of HMmmmmm good!

---- Original Message ----
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: TCP/IP 
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 10:38:13 -0400

>On Mon, 27 May 2002 09:38:12 EDT, Bill Cunningham 
><[email-masked]>  said:
>> Win98 is what I use mostly I also have linux. Your right I'd like 
>to enter
>
>For Linux, you have the source - go poke around in 
>/usr/src/linux/drivers/net
>which contains the bottom half of the stack (the device drivers).  
>The
>top half, which does protocol support, is under /usr/src/linux/net/*.
>
>Please note that from userspace, you want to be using the provided 
>syscalls,
>as you will most certainly generate an error if you go calling 
>kernel code
>without a firm understanding of what you're trying to do and why.
>
>I'd certainly stay *FAR* away from any system's TCP stack internals 
>until
>I had read *and understood* at least the first volume or two of 
>Comer's books,
>and for Unix/Linux, Steven's "Unix Network Programming".  If you 
>don't
>recognize those 2 references, you're not ready. ;)
>
>I think you're getting confused by terminology - although many 
>programs
>have their function entry points on a "stack", which is vulnerable to
>tweaking by buffer overflows and other malware, the entire networking
>subsystem is *also* referred to as a "stack" (which makes sense once 
>you
>understand the basics of the OSI 7-layer burrito^H^H^H^H^Hmodel).  
>As such,
>the networking code doesn't really *HAVE* a distinct entry point - 
>it's being
>called many ways for different things - from userspace via the 
>syscall
>interface (to open/bind/send/receive/close a connection), to/from 
>device
>drivers to receive packets and queue packets for transmission, hooks 
>into
>the system timing services for callbacks to maintain retransmit 
>timers,
>and so on.
>
>-- 
>				Valdis Kletnieks
>				Computer Systems Senior Engineer
>				Virginia Tech
>
>