Subject: ACAP - rfc2244

From: Rick Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 09:20:28 -0700 (PDT)

does anyone know of any server/service that uses ACAP as in rfc2244, i've
seen the cmu pages about it -- just wondering if anyone here knows of any
source available servers, and if or why the protocol never got widely
adopted.

thanks,

-rick

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 16:57:42 -0700

At 9:20 AM -0700 5/17/02, Rick Wesson wrote:

>  source available servers,

The only source-available servers that I know of are those from CMU,
but I believe there are a few commercial servers.

>   and if or why the protocol never got widely adopted.

Adoption has been fairly limited, and mostly in the email area.  Part
of that may be chicken-and-egg, and part may be that other protocols
got more mindshare, and were seen as being close enough that they
could be kludged into doing the job.  Also, ACAP has three features
that, taken together, make it difficult to do a fast server: contexts
(searches that remain active and result in asynchronous notification
when the results change), access control lists on items, and
hierarchy.  People who've built servers say it would be much easier
if only two of them were required, but the spec makes all three
mandatory.  There has been some talk of an updated ACAP that relaxes
this.

Also, there are some potential deployments of ACAP that I've heard of
which are pretty interesting.