Subject: Re: 802.11b access in Tokyo and Kyoto with IP mobility

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 04:45:50 +0900

In message <[email-masked]>, Fred Bake
r writes:
>For the record, I'm sitting at this instant in Tokyo Station, and am on my 
>way from Narita to Yokohama. I am sitting in the green car, and I accessed 
>the appropriate web page.
>
>I have wonderful 802.11 connectivity, and I have an IP address. Whether 
>that means I can use the Internet is another question. On the parts of the 
>track where the connectivity is there, we see ping round trip delays 
>varying from 380 ms to over four seconds. There are fairly large parts of 
>the track where the NTT DoCoMo 3G data connectivity appears to simply not 
>be there - especially when in concrete tubes and ditches, but also on 
>places with open track.
>
>So I think here the term "seamless", when applied to connectivity, doesn't 
>really apply.
>
>
No, not seamless, but I managed to download a lot of email on the train.

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
		http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" book)