Subject: RE: Deprecating/Amending options on RFC's

From: "Foulk, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:56:27 -1000

Thanks to all for your answers.  

I'm not certain what I'll do at this point but I wanted to see what would be
in store and how to get it done when I decide to move on it.  Your responses
were very helpful.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Elz [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 2:18 PM
To: Foulk, Scott
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: Deprecating/Amending options on RFC's 

    Date:        Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:11:23 -1000
    From:        "Foulk, Scott" <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:
<[email-masked]>

  | Can anyone on this list tell me how one goes about making changes to
  | existing RFC's?  For instance, adding options to a protocol, or finding
a
  | portion of an RFC that is not applicable due to modern technology
advances.

You submit an internet-draft containing the change.   If the change is
relatively minor, the I-D will just contain the change.  If it is major,
sometimes it is better to rewrite the whole doc (and include a section
indicating what actually changed).

Then, if there's a working group working in the general area, you ask them
to review it.   If not, you send a request to the IESG and ask them to
advance your draft (and they'll either create a working group, or send the
doc for IETF last call, or just tell you that there's no interest in
whatever
you have proposed).

Then assuming the idea isn't killed, you look for comments, update the
draft, and cycle until done.   Then the IESG gets to approve the doc
after an IETF last call, and a new RFC will (mighht) eventually be issued,
which will update, or obsolete, the earlier one.

kre