Subject: Deprecating/Amending options on RFC's

From: "Foulk, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:11:23 -1000

Can anyone on this list tell me how one goes about making changes to
existing RFC's?  For instance, adding options to a protocol, or finding a
portion of an RFC that is not applicable due to modern technology advances.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Foulk
Spirent Communications
3465 Waialae Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96816

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:18:11 +0900

Date:        Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:11:23 -1000
    From:        "Foulk, Scott" <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | Can anyone on this list tell me how one goes about making changes to
  | existing RFC's?  For instance, adding options to a protocol, or finding a
  | portion of an RFC that is not applicable due to modern technology advances.

You submit an internet-draft containing the change.   If the change is
relatively minor, the I-D will just contain the change.  If it is major,
sometimes it is better to rewrite the whole doc (and include a section
indicating what actually changed).

Then, if there's a working group working in the general area, you ask them
to review it.   If not, you send a request to the IESG and ask them to
advance your draft (and they'll either create a working group, or send the
doc for IETF last call, or just tell you that there's no interest in whatever
you have proposed).

Then assuming the idea isn't killed, you look for comments, update the
draft, and cycle until done.   Then the IESG gets to approve the doc
after an IETF last call, and a new RFC will (mighht) eventually be issued,
which will update, or obsolete, the earlier one.

kre