Subject: RE: Last Call: SMTP Service Extension for Content Negotiation toP roposed Standard

From: "COLES, RICHARD J. (JSC-EV) (LM)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 11:39:12 -0500

Sorry for the misquote.

Sometimes it's hard to tell who said what in these multi-response messages.
Even editing the msg does not always help.

I just wanted to be sure that everyone knew how important FAX is to NASA
(and, I suppose, to other agencies of the Federal government).

Tnx/RJC

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 11:24 AM
To: COLES, RICHARD J. (JSC-EV) (LM)
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Last Call: SMTP Service Extension for Content Negotiation
toProposed Standard

> Ned "sed":

> > ...fax is dead technology, who cares???

> FAX is NOT dead at NASA.

Actually, I never said anything of the kind, nor did I agree with any such
statement. Robert Elz said this. My response was merely that even if you
believe this is true the current proposal may still be of importance since
it
has utility outside of the FAX space.

				Ned

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 11:18:16 -0700

>(and, I suppose, to other agencies of the Federal government).

Right.  Folks often do not realize that even Telex is still a critical 
infrastructure service, for portions of the world.  My guess is that we are 
looking at 10-20 years before fax is truly relegated to a minor 
role.  Fully replacing well-established infrastructures takes a very long 
time, no matter how quickly a new one emerges.

One reason for doing fax over the Internet is for cheaper and faster fax 
service, but another is to integrate the fax and email communities, as much 
as is reasonable.  (Personally I have a third goal, which is to provide 
email with a target service level that is more demanding that Internet mail 
has provided until now and is known to be useful for business; with fax we 
get that, and we do not need to debate the philosophy of business 
communications.)

d/

----------
Dave Crocker  <mailto:[email-masked]>
Brandenburg InternetWorking  <http://www.brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.850.1850