Subject: 802.11b access in Tokyo and Kyoto with IP mobility

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 17:30:08 +0859 ()

Dear IETF participants;

MIS (Mobile Internet Services, Inc., http://www.miserv.net (in English,
http://www.miserv.net/miserv-new/english_new/) and Miako Net Project
(http://www.miako.net) are pleased to announce to jointly offer IETF
participants free Mobile IPv4 access with 802.11b wireless LAN in
Tokyo with more than 200 base stations and Kyoto with more than 100
base stations (sorry, none in Yokohama).

A clickable map for the service areas in Tokyo is located at:

	http://www.miserv.net/miserv-new/renew/service/serv03area.html

A map for the service areas in Kyoto is located at:

	http://www.sccj.com/miako/area.files/miako_map_v5.01.png

With mobile IP, you can move from one access point to another without
losing the connection, of course.

I will deliver those of you who are interested in our service account
information valid in July, 2002.

However, MIS considers it essential social responsibility of wireless
ISPs to cryptographically secure communication between our access points
and terminals of identified users.

So, MIS users are required to

	1) download and install software for cryptographically secure
	communication with packet-wise MD5/AES protection

	2) identify yourself to MIS/Miako

For the identification, contact me or some other person of MIS or Miako
Project personally with proper identification (e.g. IETF badge). On
Sunday, I'll be in a terminal room between 16:00 and 17:00 and reception
between 17:00~18:00. Or, I can mail the account information by e-mail
to authorized mail addresses, if you can fill the attached application
form.

The authorized mail addresses are mail addresses identity of which is
reliably recognized. All the mail addresses appears in some RFC or
unexpired Internet Draft are considered authorized. You can suggest me
other ways to authorize mail addresses (no, I'm not using PGP).

We are happy to issue multiple account for a single application, if
the applicant is responsible for the use of all the account.

Driver software for UNIX (NetBSD 1.5.2 (not tested), NetBSD 1.5ZA20020115,
FreeBSD 4.4R (not tested a lot)) can be found at:

	ftp://chacha.hpcl.titech.ac.jp/misclient-20020705.tar.gz

Driver software for Windows 2000/XP can be found at:

	http://www.miserv.net/miserv-new/english_new/driver/driver.html

or

	ftp://chacha.hpcl.titech.ac.jp/Genuine208_2KXP_E.exe

The driver should work with most PCMCIA WLAN cards (but not with WLAN
interface internal to PCs). A official list of cards, applicability
of which is verified, is available at:

	http://www.miserv.net/miserv-new/renew/service/setup/setup1.html

Enjoy.

							Masataka Ohta

--
Application Form for MIS/Miako Account
(mailto:[email-masked])

Name:

Home (not IP but Postal) Address:

Country:

Email (optional):

Number of Accounts You can be Responsible for (default: 1):

Authorized Mail Address:

Name and page # of an RFC or an Internet Draft where the Authorized Mail
Address can be found:

Comments or Special Requirements:

--

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 19:57:50 +0900

For the record, I'm sitting at this instant in Tokyo Station, and am on my 
way from Narita to Yokohama. I am sitting in the green car, and I accessed 
the appropriate web page.

I have wonderful 802.11 connectivity, and I have an IP address. Whether 
that means I can use the Internet is another question. On the parts of the 
track where the connectivity is there, we see ping round trip delays 
varying from 380 ms to over four seconds. There are fairly large parts of 
the track where the NTT DoCoMo 3G data connectivity appears to simply not 
be there - especially when in concrete tubes and ditches, but also on 
places with open track.

So I think here the term "seamless", when applied to connectivity, doesn't 
really apply.

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 07:43:39 +0859 ()

Fred;

> the appropriate web page.

Note that that is an experimental service of JR, itojun mentioned,
and has nothing to do with MIS service, I mentioned, subject line
of which you copied.

Anyway,

> be there - especially when in concrete tubes and ditches, but also on 

As you know, JR uses not IP mobility but telephone network mobility.

So, it is a problem of a plain old telephone system so called 3G. :-)

> So I think here the term "seamless", when applied to connectivity, doesn't 

Direct WLAN service, today, has much less service area.

However, in the future, inexpensive base stations of WLAN are
essential to cover small holes of connectivity.

							Masataka Ohta

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 14:32:16 +0900

At 07:43 AM 7/14/2002 +0859, Masataka Ohta wrote:
>it is a problem of a plain old telephone system so called 3G.

the point is well taken, and is what we decided on the train as well.

---

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 20:58:00 -0400

I tried it as well, and was getting 80-100% packet loss to just about
everywhere beyond the first-hop router.

Not usable.

--On Saturday, July 13, 2002 7:57 PM +0900 Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> For the record, I'm sitting at this instant in Tokyo Station, and am on
> my way from Narita to Yokohama. I am sitting in the green car, and I
> accessed the appropriate web page.
>
> that means I can use the Internet is another question. On the parts of
> the track where the connectivity is there, we see ping round trip delays
> So I think here the term "seamless", when applied to connectivity,
> doesn't really apply.

---

From: Phil Karn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 03:41:55 -0700

>the appropriate web page.

So, was it worth the extra 2,340 yen? :-)

We bought 2nd class tickets in car 7, but were still able to
occasionally hear the 802 base station. By all accounts, though, the
3G connectivity wasn't great.

Phil

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:14:24 -0700 (PDT)

crank your mtu size down. that frequently works in challenging rf 
environments.

joelja

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   [email-masked]    
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the last
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but
  inferior lexicographer I beg to submit that it is the first.
	   	            -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"