Subject: Question ... what is going on in Europe with the backbone?

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 12:50:52 -0400

I'd like to understand what may be happening in Europe with the 
KPN/Quest/ebone collapse.

Its my understanding that it carried between 1/4 and 1/3 of the European 
backbone traffic but as it stands now I've seen no reports of large scale 
traffic disruptions.

 From a traffic engineering perspective what does this mean?

Is the density of the European mesh so rich that even a major backbone 
disconnection barely causes a hicup?

How have the BGP4 tables adapted?

My interest is pure curiosity.

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 21:59:07 +0100 (BST)

> KPN/Quest/ebone collapse.

Janet's UKERNA puts up tender documents wanting new suppliers to
interface to their kit in Worldcom racks.

http://www.ja.net/development/transatlantic_reprocurement/

I think another clarification might be due soon.

L.

> My interest is pure curiosity.

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><[email-masked]>