Subject: Japan Traditional Craft Center

From: Craig Partridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:55:38 -0400

I went to the Japan Traditional Craft Center yesterday and since several
folks asked me about it, I'm sending a note to the list.

It is in Ikebukuro (right above the station).  For information on hours
and location see:

    http://www.kougei.or.jp/english/center.html

It sells various traditional craft items (where a traditional craft is one
that has been around at least 100 years).  Most of what it sells are
ceramics, fabric, and woodwork.  Very little metal work (which surprised
me, as one of the most beautiful things at the Kyoto handicraft center
is the metal work, see:

    http://www.oes.edu/US/academics/foreign-language/DIGDIAR2/JUNE23~1.HTM
).

Prices vary widely, from tens of dollars to tens of thousands.  Overall,
a fun visit.  If you catch the (Tokoyo) express train to Shibuya and then
change to JR line to Ikebukuro the store is only about 45 minutes away.

Craig

E-mail: [email-masked] or [email-masked]

---

From: Carl Malamud <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 01:50:16 -0700 (PDT)

> folks asked me about it, I'm sending a note to the list.

For those of you staying past the IETF (or wishing to escape during the
IETF), you might consider the town of Kamakura, which is a short train
ride south from Yokohama.  Kamakura is the ancient capital of Japan and
features many temples a short walk from the train station.  It's a nice
change from the big city atmosphere of Yokohama and Tokyo.

This Sunday, there is a festival at the Groyo Jinja Shrine:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~QM9T-KNDU/goryo.htm

(Of course, if you're here this weekend, the Yokohama fireworks are
truly spectacular.)
 
Kamakura also features a really nice beach and some good restaurants
on the shore.  During typhoons and windy weather, the bay is packed
with surfers taking advantage of the big waves.

Feel free to send me mail if you'd like suggestions.  I lived briefly
in Kamakura.  Of course, any of our hosts are surely better informed
than I am and can also give you pointers.

Regards,

Carl Malamud
http://trusted.resource.org/