Subject: Re: DNS multiverse prefixes

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 08:44:16 -0600 (MDT)

I almost succumbed to the temptation to point out that notion of
naming roots proves that the alternate root kooks are kooks, but
stopped at the edge of that cliff.

Responding to the IPv8/alternic kooks and trolls only feeds them.
They have no interest in making anything work, but they need to feed
on the attention of people doing work.  I don't understand their
metabolisms, but they somehow survive on attention.

I do have a question for the sane people who failed to resist temptation.
Some of their responses implied that the alternate root nonsense is
doing more harm than MicroStupid viruses.  Is that true and if so,
how?  I thought the IPv8/alternic nonsense had been largely forgotten
except by the kooks themselves.  Why isn't the best way to dispose of
the alternate root silliness to ignore it?

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:52:34 -0400

> doing more harm than MicroStupid viruses.

I thought the question was about the *discussion* of the alternate root
nonsense, which probably consumes more bandwidth than the alternate roots 
themselves.  I interpreted the answers as being written with tounge-in-cheek.

I personally don't think the alternate roots cause much harm - that is, 
as long as essentially nobody uses them.

Keith

---

From: Einar Stefferud <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 01:43:12 -0700

Thank you for your opinion, based on your non-use of the ORSC root.

If you were a user, your opinion might carry even more weight.

I find that I only have trouble with DNS when I am somehow restricted from
accessing the ORSC roots, so I spend some effort maintaining access.

it is my choice to do so, and I do not care how many people choose to 
live in the lesser ICANNic Internet;-)...

Enjoy;-)...\Stef