Subject: DNS multiverse prefixes

From: "Richard J. Sexton Ph.D. J.D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:21:39 -0400 (EDT)

At 03:54 PM 7/26/02 -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>In message <027501c234da$430e9820$011aa8c0@eagleswings>, "Tony Hain" writes:
>>Do you believe there is a difference between virus infected mail and a
>>thread that is focused on multiple dns roots?
>>
>Virus-infected email is much less harmful than (the existence of)
>multiple roots -- at least I can defend myself against the former.

It's very easy for people on the outside of a community to poo poo
other peoples work when they aren't a part of if or have made no
real effort to try to use it or only understand it from a theoretical
perspective and perhaps don't understand all the prior art.

And it's fair to say there are  problems with multiple roots. But, with
utter chaos and no overall organizarion whatsoever the problems have been
constrained to a mere easilty repared handfull  and people use them day
in day out, and have for about 7 years now. And frankly, the chaos gets
less each day.

But, saying "there's problems" is like giving up on TCP/IP because
of a flaky UART. So, you can either endorse a political solution
like ICANN or think about ways to fix it in software and work towards
an HONEST consensus view about what to do with all this stuff.

Or you could just recycle Vixie's old "Alt will destroy usenet"
postings to save yourself some typing.

--

 /"\  ASCII RIBBON      / [email-masked] [email-masked]
 \ /  CAMPAIGN AGAINST / http://open-rsc.org http://cr.yp.to/dnsroot.html
  X   HTML MAIL       / http://chrono.faq http://watch.gallery http://mbz.org
 / \  AND POSTINGS   / http://font.gallery http://dnso.com http://watch.prices