Subject: network development History

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 16:32:43 +0200

Past week shown that lack of understanding of the past and anachronisms 
could harm the today debate. I would suggest we consider an History effort. 
The very participants commonly writing their own mutually cross-checked 
memoirs. A part from a pure historical aspect the rationale is::

1. we need cooperation here. Inappropriate comments down consider their 
authors until corrected. Something logic permits in technical areas, but 
impossible in historical areas. Helping  avoiding them is making ourselves 
a good service.

2. this is an unique opportunity for the historic science: historians could 
be happy to help us and to  monitor such an effort, developing new methods 
for our time and for the nets.

3. we deal with decisions having a long technical + usage cycle. Only 
History can deliver the experience we need to understand and to repeat 
successes and to avoid errors.

4. we share different cultures and visions of the network. Helping them to 
be better known and understood by others can only help a more constructive 
and less emotional debate.

5. in many areas of the networks (WIPO, ICANN, alt(sic)roots, ccTLDs, GAC, 
DNS, e-economy, protocols, etc.) history plays an important role as 
legitimacy, jurisprudence, usage, etc. we need comprehensive pictures, 
archives, comments by the concerned people;  etc. to follow on them.

We could call and support a commonly accepted historians effort to build a 
chronological tree from 1960 to now, where participants could attach and 
cross-check recollections, provide archives and document the then 
prevailing environments.
jfc

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 10:08:28 -0700

> could harm the today debate. I would suggest we consider an History 

FYI, there is an Internet History mailing list at:

	http://www.postel.org/internet-history/

Joe