Subject: Regulation of information services

From: Michael Hammer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 13:04:11 -0400

Is there a good point of contact (preferably in the Washington., D.C. area) 
that I could refer this question to?

Related technology:  I understand that there is an engineering group 
working on the remote sensing of events and reporting across the Web that 
would include home security services.

Issue:  I currently have home security service from ADT that uses dial-up 
and would probably change to such a data service if offered.  I was 
recently notified that Fairfax County, VA passed an ordinance requiring 
anyone with such a service to register with the police (The fee is a 
minimal $10).

Their problem is they often get false alarm calls to non 911 police 
services.  My problem is that they say they will refuse to respond to such 
calls unless I am registered.  Furthermore, the fines for "false alarms" 
escalate to $500 for any calls beyond 2 per year, with fines for 
non-registered user being substantially higher.  Just as bad, they seem to 
be establishing two classes of police service, with slower response times 
for people using alarm systems.  (The police told me that a neighbor 
calling that results in police not finding any break-in is not considered a 
false alarm.)

Given that I pay as much or more to county property taxes, this doesn't 
seem right and possibly unconstitutional.  It may also, were I to do this 
over the Internet, set precedent to regulate other Internet services.

I am considering just cancelling the service to avoid the possible 
fines.  Am I over-reacting here?

Mike

---

From: Michael Hammer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 14:28:50 -0400

Thanks, that sounds like a more appropriate forum.  End of discussion here.

Mike

At 01:31 PM 8/5/2002 -0400, Richard Shockey wrote:
>At 01:04 PM 8/5/2002 -0400, Michael Hammer wrote:
>>Is there a good point of contact (preferably in the Washington., D.C. 
>>area) that I could refer this question to?
>>
>Subscribe to and post this message to the Cybertelecom list .. where DC 
>policy wonks and IP/telecom geeks meet to scream at each other about US 
>telecom, FCC and other related topics ...
>
>http://www.cybertelecom.org/cybert.htm
>
>
>
>
>>services.  My problem is that they say they will refuse to respond to 
>>such calls unless I am registered.  Furthermore, the fines for "false 
>>alarms" escalate to $500 for any calls beyond 2 per year, with fines for 
>>non-registered user being substantially higher.  Just as bad, they seem 
>>to be establishing two classes of police service, with slower response 
>>times for people using alarm systems.  (The police told me that a 
>>neighbor calling that results in police not finding any break-in is not 
>>considered a false alarm.)
>>
>Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
>NeuStar Inc.
>46000 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 10    Sterling, VA  20166
>Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
><mailto:[email-masked]> or <mailto:[email-masked]>
><http://shockey.us > ; <http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 13:31:20 -0400

>calling that results in police not finding any break-in is not considered
>a false alarm.)
>