Subject: Spam

From: "Bill Cunningham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 22:51:18 -0400

I still think a protocol implementation may be the answer. Maybe in smtp. If
someone chooses for no spam maybe a single bit in the packet could render
mail servers to not add the e-mail address to a spam list.

---

From: "James Seng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:08:25 +0800

Everything looks like a nail when you have a hammer.

-James Seng

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 23:29:19 -0400

> mail servers to not add the e-mail address to a spam list.

Yeah.  It could.  That's assuming that spammers were running servers that would
check that bit.

This is a non-starter for the same reasons an "adult" bit for IPv6 addresses is
a non-starter (hint - what if I don't want pr0n or investments in fraudulent
fund transfers in Nigeria, or personal field engineering changes on my anatomy,
but I don't mind mail about new software for my operating system?)

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer
				Virginia Tech