Subject: Re: bandwidth

From: "Bill Cunningham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 00:39:35 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
To: "Bill Cunningham" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2002 10:25 PM
Subject: Re: bandwidth

> no it is bits per second. The analog rate of these circuits is on the
order of 3000-4000 baud (hertz). One gets a number of bits per hertz using
heavy coding and sometimes compression.
>
> you surely must have meant something other than 100-200 bps (bits per
second) in your second paragraph :-)
> maybe 100-200Kb/s? DSL produces anywhere from 128 kbps to 6 Mb/s
(typically asymmetric), and VDSL is potentially capable of 56 Mb/s over
sufficiently short distances
> vint cerf
Yes Vinton your're right I meant kbps. oops. Verizon services the area I
live in and 100-200 kbps must be DSL service.