Subject: am i the only one...

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:27:45 -0700

... who thinks that 59 volunteers for NONCOM is pretty puny?  If you're 
truly not interested in the future of the IETF I suppose you oughtn't 
send your name in.  Otherwise, why aren't you volunteering?

Eliot

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:19:16 +0300 (EEST)

> send your name in.  Otherwise, why aren't you volunteering?

Attending teleconferences is boring as it is, attending weekly 2-hour
tellies, probably arranged in a US-centric fashion (as most things here
are) must be next to unbearable?

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 23:32:39 -0700

> are) must be next to unbearable?

It's a burdensome time commitment, no doubt.  On the other hand, don't 
dare complain about "U.S. centric" anything if you are not willing to be 
part of the process to effect change.

Eliot

---

From: Ian Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 07:54:38 +0100

> send your name in.  Otherwise, why aren't you volunteering?

Because I'm not allowed to.

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 20:14:24 +0700

Date:        Thu, 22 Aug 2002 07:54:38 +0100
    From:        Ian Cooper <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | --On Wednesday, August 21, 2002 21:27 -0700 Eliot Lear <[email-masked]> 
  | wrote:
  | 
  | > ... who thinks that 59 volunteers for NONCOM is pretty puny?  If you're
  | > truly not interested in the future of the IETF I suppose you oughtn't
  | > send your name in.  Otherwise, why aren't you volunteering?
  | 
  | Because I'm not allowed to.

nor am I.   I sent in my name on the (only one) occasion when I was
eligible.   All the other times the IETF has made it quite clear that
they don't want my participation...

kre

---

From: Donald Eastlake 3rd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:54:44 -0400 (EDT)

There is a working group currently considering nomcom procedures. Such 
comments should be posted there.

Donald

PS: I have found that telling people "don't dare complain about X" is 
not a particularly effective argument.

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Eliot Lear wrote:

> Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 23:32:39 -0700
> From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
> To: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: am i the only one...
> 
> Pekka Savola wrote:
-- 
======================================================================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd                       [email-masked]
 155 Beaver Street              +1-508-634-2066(h) +1-508-851-8280(w)
 Milford, MA 01757 USA                   [email-masked]

---

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:53:43 -0500

Thus spake "Eliot Lear" <[email-masked]>
> send your name in.  Otherwise, why aren't you volunteering?

59 out of how many elligible?  The criteria to volunteer are pretty strict, not
to mention the stuff selectees actually have to *do*.

S

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:58:44 -0400

> to mention the stuff selectees actually have to *do*.

From RFC2727, section 3:
   (4)  Members of the IETF community must have attended at least 2 of
        the last 3 IETF meetings in order to volunteer.

Count me out.  That's 2 more IETFs than I've been at ever. (And before
anybody asks - yes, I could probably make the time budget for telecons,
it's the travel budget that gets me... ;)

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer
				Virginia Tech

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:55:44 -0700 (PDT)

% --On Wednesday, August 21, 2002 21:27 -0700 Eliot Lear <[email-masked]> 
% wrote:
% 
% > ... who thinks that 59 volunteers for NONCOM is pretty puny?  If you're
% > truly not interested in the future of the IETF I suppose you oughtn't
% > send your name in.  Otherwise, why aren't you volunteering?
% 
% Because I'm not allowed to.
% 

	Or... you'd rather not serve on the Nomcom because you'd rather
	serve on the IESG or IAB... :)

-- 
--bill

---

From: Dominic Pinto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:46:56 +0100

I did check, but I'm not eligible.

There is noone to say you can't (well, not at the moment, given the very
slim amount of work around), I doubt I could justify the time or (more
importantly) the costs, even of dialing in on a cheap resellers service,
as they do mount up.

I have responded to people who complain that something isn't done, to
explain constraints and invite them to do something themselves. That
doesn't always work - they don't always do anything - but by and large
they do accept a need to put up or shut up.

-- 
Dominic Pinto
-------------
					| Barn Cottage, Hill House
Senior Associate Telesphere Limited	| Somerton Road, 
					| between Souldern & Somerton
http://www.telespherelimited.com	| Bicester, Oxon, OX25 6LS, UK	
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ph/Fax: +44 1869 346375 Cellphone/GSM Mobile: +44 780 302 8268
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Friend or Former Student of University of Newcastle upon Tyne? 
Join us: See http://www.ncl.ac.uk/alumni
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out FITCE Congress 2002 Genoa at http://www.fitce.org
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 16:34:20 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

>>to mention the stuff selectees actually have to *do*.

Over 1200 folks meet the 2 out of 3 criteria.