Subject: ICANN now Paying for the GAC

From: Gordon Cook <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:10:32 -0400

Hasn't it been said that ICANN should be there to keep governments 
from taking over the Internet?  So ICANN created the GACC 
http://www.icann.org/committees/gac/ which is the committee where 
governments get to tell ICANN what they want it to do.  (Tony 
Rutkowskii had a field day roasting ICANN when  it did that.)  The 
Australian Government allegedly paid for the GACs expenses from 1999 
onward.  But now ICANN has decided to reimburse one of its 
governments (the australian) for the cost  of maintaining the very 
group that ICANN was allegedly created to protect the internet from.

Thus we have http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-13aug02.htm

There ICANN informs the rest of us.

Resolved [EC02.8] that the President is authorized to provide 
reimbursement to the Australian Government for its actual costs of 
providing chair and secretariat services to the GAC, in a total 
amount not to exceed US$75,000, for the period ending 15 November 
2002, after which alternative arrangements by the GAC to provide 
these functions can be implemented.

Want to find out what the GAC wants ICANN to do?  Lots of luck.  Only 
governments allowed to attend THOSE meetings.

"the value of trust" (TM)  - oh but wait, that's Verisign's trademark.

What was it Stef said about Stuart Lynn and company heading for the cliffs?

-- 
========================================================
The COOK Report on Internet, 431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA (609)
882-2572 (phone & fax) [email-masked]  Subscription info & 
prices at   http://cookreport.com/subscriptions.shtml    Summary of 
content for 10 years at http://cookreport.com/past_issues.shtml 
Here Comes Asset Based Telecom
A 178 page  - Aug Oct issue available at http://cookreport.com/11.05-6.shtml
========================================================