Subject: bandwidth

From: "Bill Cunningham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 21:43:53 -0400

I have a 56k v.90 and v.92 modem. 56 bps is baud per second correct, not
bits per second. Of course the phone line will only handle 52k but is the
difference between v.90 and v.92 in bits no baud?
    High speed bandwidth is coming to my area. Speeds such as 100-200 bps
will be available. This sounds like DSL to me because we already have cable
modems.

---

From: Benny Nasution <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 02:26:56 +0000

As far as I know, telephone line can support baudrate up to 2400 baud per second. So what does it mean 56 baud per second? 

Is it not too slow to transfer bitrate of 56k?

Benny

--
====================================================
Benny B. Nasution
School of Network Computing
Information Technology Faculty
Monash University
A U S T R A L I A
+61 401 230 818
+61 397 696 078
email: [email-masked]
====================================================

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:26:07 -0700 (PDT)

note that baud as in J.M.E. Baudout is a measurement of the signalling 
rate of a communications channel not the data rate. so if you have only 
two level (binary modulation) then baud is the same as bps, otherwise it 
isn't...

In all instances in the previous two messages you mean Kb/s

joelja

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   [email-masked]    
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the last
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but
  inferior lexicographer I beg to submit that it is the first.
	   	            -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"