Subject: Muttered at the IESG Open Mike...

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 20:32:11 -0800 (PST)

The speaker in front of me said "charge people a small fee for
Internet-Drafts", and someone muttered "charge them by the
page".

It's incredibly unrealistic, but don't you really want to charge
more for Internet-Drafts on dumb ideas?

Spencer

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your desktop!
http://platinum.yahoo.com

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 06:41:53 +0200 (EET)

> more for Internet-Drafts on dumb ideas?

Or I-D's which have spelling/grammar mistakes or fail ID-nits?

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:11:13 -0800

adaptation of an idea that came up for controlling mike time....

give everyone who shows up at an IETF meeting one token, good for 6 months.
require 10 tokens to submit an internet-draft.
allow people to give tokens to others - anyone who can convince 10 people 
that something is worth posting should do it.
encourage people to give their expiring tokens to people they think make 
sense, so that known-good people can post at any time
anyone who gets an RFC published gets 10 tokens; anyone who gets a 
standards-track document published gets 20.

for fixing the financial problems, auction off 100 extra tokens per IETF.

of course this is a typical example of a technical solution to a social 
problem :-)

                 Harald

--On 19. mars 2003 20:32 -0800 Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> This message was passed through [email-masked], which
> is a sublist of [email-masked]. Not all messages are passed. Decisions on
> what to pass are made solely by Raffaele D'Albenzio.
>
>

---

From: Michael Hammer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:32:33 -0500

That would mean that only those with deep pockets could buy at auction and 
therefore be able to submit any drafts, assuming every starts at 
zero.  Everyone else could go home.  Seems to run counter to the whole IETF 
spirit.

You might as well be trading airline miles for IETF tokens.  Hmmm... so 
marketing types could now write all the drafts? :)

Mike

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 14:37:59 -0500

> standards-track document published gets 20.

Suddenly there's even more pressure to put everybody in the WG on the 
list of authors.  :-)

-- 
/=================================================================\
|John Stracke      [email-masked]                          |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centive.com                        |
|Centive           |My opinions are my own.                       |
|=================================================================|
|"We can't duplicate the bug." "Have you tried the Xerox machine?"|
\=================================================================/

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:11:04 -0800

>require 10 tokens to submit an internet-draft.

the point of posting the draft is to have the discussion you're proposing. 
What happens in some quarters, as you know, is that someone who has an idea 
goes around and grabs ten names as a "show of support", and lists them all 
as authors whether they have read the draft or not. I have found my name on 
drafts I didn't even know existed. What is to stop folks from claiming the 
tokens of these folks?

I don't think you want to restrict the influx of internet drafts, at least 
not drafts related to working groups; that inhibits discussion. One of the 
really nice things about the IETF is the ability to post internet drafts at 
will and kick ideas around. Taking them to informational or experimental 
RFC, or doing a four-week last call, I could see such a procedure.