Subject: slide fonts

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Mar 2003 13:33:35 -0500

One bit of a beg to presenters from someone who has vision problems --
teeny fonts are a bad idea, but lots of people seem to be using them.

The bigger your fonts are, the more likely it is that people in the
back of the room will be able to read them, especially given the dim
projectors. If needed, just do twice as many slides instead of
shrinking your font to fit in more words.

-- 
Perry E. Metzger		[email-masked]

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:40:52 -0800

Perry,

Wednesday, March 19, 2003, 10:33:35 AM, you wrote:
PEM> The bigger your fonts are, the more likely it is that people in the
PEM> back of the room will be able to read them, especially given the dim
PEM> projectors. If needed, just do twice as many slides instead of
PEM> shrinking your font to fit in more words.

The usual rule is never go below 18pt. 24-28pt is the better choice.

Equally important is contrast.  Use only primary colors and make sure
that text always is very high contrast with its background.

Projectors produce images that are vastly inferior to the wonderful
stuff we see on our laptops and desktops.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:[email-masked]>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <http://www.brandenburg.com>
 Sunnyvale, CA  USA <tel:+1.408.246.8253>, <fax:+1.866.358.5301>

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 14:58:47 -0800

Hi -

> From: "Dave Crocker" <[email-masked]>
> To: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 9:40 AM
> Subject: Re: slide fonts
...
> that text always is very high contrast with its background.
...

Black and white is the sensible choice.  I recall one
presentation that used red to identify important points.
It will probably lose much of its impact in the hardcopy
proceedings.  :-)

Randy

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 18:06:49 -0500

> It will probably lose much of its impact in the hardcopy

I don't know anyone who has asked for hardcopy proceedings for years.

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 08:15:48 -0500

>I don't know anyone who has asked for hardcopy proceedings for years.
I remember seeing a set ordered by a coworker about 2 years ago.

-- 
/===========================================================\
|John Stracke      [email-masked]                    |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centive.com                  |
|Centive           |My opinions are my own.                 |
|===========================================================|
|When rats leave a sinking ship, where exactly do they think|
|they're going?                                             |
\===========================================================/

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 20:14:48 +0100

we just decided to stop publishing hardcopy proceedings.
A whooping 8 people ordered them from San Francisco.

             Harald

--On søndag, mars 23, 2003 14:58:47 -0800 Randy Presuhn 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> This message was passed through [email-masked], which
> is a sublist of [email-masked]. Not all messages are passed. Decisions on
> what to pass are made solely by Raffaele D'Albenzio.
>

---

From: Donald Eastlake 3rd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:35:11 -0500 (EST)

That's because the price was suddenly jacked up to a totally absurd
figure.

Thanks,
Donald
======================================================================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd                       [email-masked]
 155 Beaver Street              +1-508-634-2066(h) +1-508-851-8280(w)
 Milford, MA 01757 USA                   [email-masked]

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 20:14:48 +0100
> From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
> To: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: slide fonts
>

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:33:10 +0100

> That's because the price was suddenly jacked up to a totally absurd

Cost recovery basis.

FIRST the number of participants ordering them fell.
THEN the price went up.
Repeat until the current situation - 8 people sharing 2000 dollars of 
printer's bills.

The secretariat has proposed making the CD contain "printer ready" 
proceedings - one or more PDF files that will create printed proceedings at 
the touch of a button. Made sense to me.

                 Harald