Subject: IETF56 Network Status - 2003-03-18 17:30 PST

From: Brett Thorson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:50:11 -0500

<Knock On Wood>
At this point in time, we are not seeing any issues with the network.
</Knock on wood>

We have heard that some computers are seeing the wireless network disappear at 
times.  These reports seem to come from Windows users, but we don't have 
enough data to classify this problem yet.  If you do see an issue with 
wireless, would it be possible to ask the person next to you what they are 
seeing, and comparing status and information.

Sending this data (along with time, location, and other debugging info) to 
[email-masked] would help us to collect more information, and make changes 
if necessary.

We made one last change to the DHCP server so when you come back from 
Starbucks (or other networks) your computer should obtain a DHCP address 
faster.

The SunRays located along the wall in the Terminal room are open for anybody 
to use.  If it has a SmartCard in it, feel free to start using it.  If there 
is no SmartCard, you can either choose to use it as is, or to ask the 
helpdesk for one.  When you remove the SmartCard from the SunRay, your 
session will be swapped to disk.  Come back, insert card, and your session 
will be swapped back to any SunRay in the terminal room.  These machines will 
obviously work without SmartCards, but you would then lose the session save 
feature.

Once again, I'd like to thank those attendees who have offered their help, and 
the NOC staff (look for the green sticker) who have done a fabulous job.

Cheers!

--Brett Thorson