Subject: Some interesting Policy work coming from our colleagues at IEEE-USA

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 20:35:46 -0500

The IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers - the
professional body for electrical engineers, and the standards body
for ethernet) released a policy statement, about 2 weeks ago, that
includes some pretty strong statements, including:

"Policy makers must ensure that Ethernet networks over fiber
infrastructures capable of gigabit speeds complemented by broadband
wireless technologies be fully considered and fairly evaluated for a
prominent role in accelerating advanced broadband deployment in the U.S."

The statement goes on to talk about economic conditions, impacts on
existing carriers, recommendations re. government policy, etc. - with
particular attention to the dangers of monopoly abuse by incumbents, and
approaches to avoiding such abuse.

The full statement is on-line at
http://www.ieeeusa.org/FORUM/POSITIONS/broadband.html

---
The chair of the group that drafted the policy statement was Alan McAdams,
a professor of economics at Cornell, who, at one time was he Senior Staff
Economist to the President's Council of Economic Advisors (under Nixon).
The group included a pretty good cross section of technical and management
talent from the telecom. industry, plus a few policy wonks.

Some additional remarks from McAdams are on-line at
http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Feb03/McAdams.AFN.ws.html

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:[email-masked]> or <mailto:[email-masked]>
  <http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<