Subject: path-decoupled signaling (pads) BOF

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 16:22:09 +0100

We have added a mailing list for this BOF and updated the agenda.

Path-decoupled signaling BOF (pads)

Thursday, March 20 at 1530-1730
==============================

CHAIRS:  Sven Van den Bosch, [email-masked]
         Marcus Brunner, [email-masked]

Mailing list:
[email-masked]
To subscribe - [email-masked]
Archive - http://psg.com/lists/pads

Description

The Next Steps in Signaling (NSIS) WG is developing a next-generation
general purpose signaling protocol for state installation along the data
path. NSIS is currently focusing on an interpretation of 'along the data
path' as 'visiting the same routers as the data flow'. This is denoted as
path-coupled signaling. For a number of applications, it would be useful to
have a somewhat broader interpretation of 'along the data path', e.g.
'visiting the same AS's as the data flow'. This is denoted as
path-decoupled signaling.

The purpose of the BOF session is to survey and discuss the path-decoupled
signaling case. The first part of the discussion should bring forward
arguments for path-decoupled signaling and describe use cases for
path-decoupled signaling, potentially limiting the scope of the signalling,
e.g. to a single AS.
The second part deals with the expected  impact path-decoupled signaling
would have on the NSIS protocol.

Proposed Agenda

Introduction, Chair
Use cases for path-decoupled signaling, Olov Schelen
([email-masked]), Cedric Aoun ([email-masked])
Impact on nsis, TBD
Discussion and round-up

Drafts related to the discussion:
draft-schelen-nsis-opopsig-01
draft-geib-sig-guarandif-00.txt
draft-ietf-nsis-fw-02.txt
draft-declercq-vsn-arch-00.txt