Subject: BEST Best Practices of the IETF

From: "Christopher Allen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:55:58 -0800

I'm working on a companion to draft-ietf-problem-issue-statement-00.txt,
which
instead of focusing on the problems of the IETF, celebrates and attempts to
preserve what is positive and is working about the IETF.  We need to ensure
that as we attempt to identify problems that we also identify which things
we wish to keep.

I was asked to start on this document at the IESG Open Plenary in San
Francisco
Wednesday night, and I'd like to create at least a solid outline of a
document
by Friday morning's Problem Statement WG session at 9am. So if you can
please
email me a short email answering at least one of these questions, it would
help
me very much. A short paragraph on just one is all I ask!

   * What is "Best" about the IETF?

   * What do I get out of the IETF that is the most valuable to me?

   * What "ideals" does the IETF attempt to exemplify that I'd like not to
be
lost?

   * What excites me about participating in the IETF?

   * What makes IETF better then other standards organizations?

   * What part of the IETF "process" do I feel is the key to why the IETF
works?

   * What one "story" from my experience with the IETF exemplifies what is
best
about the IETF?

Please email me at [email-masked] with your answers,
and I
will send the summary to the [email-masked] discussion list
for further discussion.

Thank you!

-- Christopher Allen

------------------------------------------------------------------------
.. Christopher Allen                              Alacrity Management ..
.. <[email-masked]>        1563 Solano Ave. #353 ..
.. o510/649-4030  f510/649-4034                    Berkeley, CA 94707 ..