Subject: Re: rfc-ed reference style [Re: Last Call: Instructions to Request for Comments (RFC) Authors to BCP]

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:24:22 -0800 (PST)

*> 
  *> However, I'd strongly suggest adding some small amount of text to 
  *> rationalize the editorial style, to avoid a thread like this occurring 
  *> when people wonder whether the style is correct or not.
  *> 

Pekka,

There is "a small amount of text" about the reference style of RFCs in
2223bis.  It says,

	"There are many styles for references, and the RFCs
	have one of their own."

I don't know that this "rationalizes" the style.  In fact, the origin
of the RFC reference style is lost in antiquity.  I once queried Jon
Postel about it, and his response was equivalent to "Get used to it!".
Anyway, the RFC reference style has been in use for a very long time,
and the RFC Editor sees no compelling reason to change it.  Others have
pointed out that this is in fact one of the legitimate styles
recognized by those who devote their lives to such issues.  Let's not
devote any more of OUR lives to this issue!

Bob Braden