Subject: Re: BLOCK: Abstract of proposed Internet Draft for Best Current Practice

From: "Dr. Jeffrey Race" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 22:22:27 +0700

See inline comments

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:34:46 +0700, Gary Feldman <[email-masked]>
wrote: [snip]
>
>Also, is there any reason to introduce new language instead of using
>existing language?  ISP is already accepted for Internet Service 
Provider;
>SP isn't 

I want to encompass both webhosting firm and ISP.   I agree it is
clumsy to introduce a new acronym.   Please offer a suggestion here.

>The term "abuse" is already well-known to describe the
>entire class of problems; calling it "pollution" is at best an annoying
>distraction.

Here I have a particular psychological point in mind.   I want to 
build on the success in suppressing physical pollution, by moving
to the "polluter pays" principle from the present "victim pays".
If I use "polluter" the audience may more easily make the mental
connection.

Jeffrey Race

---

From: Gary F <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 20:56:47 -0800 (PST)

>On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:34:46 +0700, Gary Feldman <[email-masked]>
...
>clumsy to introduce a new acronym.   Please offer a suggestion here.

Personally, I would use ISP as a catchall.  Even though I recently used
it in a more narrow sense on the spam-l list, I think it works well
enough for "provider of any general internet services" when the context
is clear.

Alternatively, spell it out.  Abbreviating a two word term is overly
aggressive abbreviation, in my opinion.  Bytes on that scale are cheap.

>Here I have a particular psychological point in mind.   I want to 

I understand that point, and I think it works well in that article you
wrote and recently cited (I think in the port 25 thread).  I'm less
sure about putting it into a BCP/RFC document, at least at this point
in time.  Besides, "abuse" carries its own appropriate psychological
baggage, especially where I believe we both are (Massachusetts), with
regard to other current events that dominated the news media over the
last year.

I often feel the desire to want to convince the world to change
terminology, so I respect your motives here, but I find that fighting
such battles to be an inefficient use of energy - at least for me.

Gary

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Tax Center - forms, calculators, tips, more
http://taxes.yahoo.com/