Subject: TONIGHT: Project JXTA Engineering Meeting - Continental 8/9 - 7pm PST

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:53:54 -0800

Tonight, the Project JXTA <http://www.jxta.org> Board of Directors 
invites you to attend a Project JXTA Engineering Meeting to be held at 
*Hilton San Francisco <http://www.sanfrancisco.hilton.com>*, 333 
O'Farrell Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 from 7pm to 10pm PST in room 
Continental 8/9.  This meeting has been scheduled coincide with IETF 56(*)

The purpose of this meeting is to provide a forum for face to face 
technical discussions related to the future of the JXTA Peer-to-Peer 
Protocols and the Project JXTA Reference Implementations.  Over the last 
year we have made significant progress in stablizing the JXTA Reference 
Implementations and improving the performance.  The J2SE Reference 
Implementation is now in a state upon which real world applications can 
be deployed with a signficant amount of confidence in the robustness of 
the environment.  During the course of this work many ideas for 
improvement have been put forward and much experience has been gained.  
It is hoped that this meeting we be the beginning of a new round of 
active discussion within the Project JXTA engineering community over the 
next steps to be taken.

This meeting will not replace discussion on the mailing lists 
<http://www.jxta.org/project/www/maillist.html>.  In fact, it is hoped 
that with network access available in the meeting space that we will be 
able to involve interested community members who are unable to attend in 
person.  All presentations will be posted to the JXTA.ORG web site prior 
to the meeting via a link from the home page.

The forum of the meeting will be a series of short presentations on a 
set of related topics by one or more experts drawn from the community 
and the Sun engineering team.  After each set of presentations the floor 
will be opened for questions and discussion.  After the meeting the 
discussions will be continued on the [email-masked] mailing list.

Proposed topics for include:

    * Review: Where are we now? (J2SE, J2ME, C, ...)
    * Formalizing the JXTA Protocol Specification Process
    * Security implementations
    * Alternative Peer Group implementations to demonstrate the
      flexibility of the JXTA architecture.  (One size does not fit all
      needs.)
    * Quality of Service extensions
    * Simplifying the Application level JXTA API to ease adoption.
       (perhaps by wrapping JXTA with the BSD Sockets API and/or Java
      Sockets API.)
    * JXTA Peer Groups without Rendezvous Peers
    * JXTA and Web Services
    * JXTA and IPv6
    * Performance enhancements

Please contact Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]> if you have questions.

We hope you will join us.

 - The Project JXTA Board

(*) This meeting is not an IETF event.  The meeting is being held in 
conjunction with IETF 56 <http://www.ietf.org/meetings/IETF-56.html> to 
provide an opportunity for cross-participation between the Project JXTA 
and IETF communities.