Subject: Re: rfc-ed reference style [Re: Last Call: Instructions to Request for Comments (RFC) Authors to BCP]

From: "Dr. Jeffrey Race" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 07:43:23 +0700

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 00:06:37 +0200 (EET), Pekka Savola wrote:

>I have a problem of writing the author list as "Eastlake, D., and E.  
>Panitz", rather than "Eastlake, D., and Panitz, E."

"Eastlake, D., and E. Panitz" is standard footnote form

Jeffrey Race

---

From: "Ole J. Jacobsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:57:05 -0800 (PST)

Yep, weird as it seems, it's a standard reference form, one of several.
Have never figured out the logic, but then again neither is the (US)
convention of placing all punctuation inside quotation marks:

We call that a "quick but secure hack," said Hugh Daniel.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:44:06 +0000 (GMT)

> Yep, weird as it seems, it's a standard reference form, one of several.

built in integrity check; if the last author is elided, you notice.

> convention of placing all punctuation inside quotation marks:

typographical convention for kerning? Seems a lot odder if you're used
to punctuation marks that aren't raised.

L.

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><[email-masked]>