Subject: RE: Financial state of the IETF - to be presented Wednesday

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 18:22:53 -0000

I'm having quite a hard time seeing what the problem is here, but maybe I'm
missing something... Based on Harald's analysis the  projected annual
shortfall is in the region of $350,000 per annum. Assuming ~5,000 attendees
per annum, that equates to ~$70 per year per attendee. This equates to an
increase in fees of ~$25 per meeting, i.e. ~5.5%. Are there really any
regular attendees for whom this increase would constitute a serious problem?

Mat.

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:29:42 -0800

Duh!  I meant:

A shortfall of $350,000 per annum means ~$120,000 per IETF meeting.  So, if 
1200 people attend each IETF meeting, then that means *$100* extra per 
person.  (Or, if 2400 people attend each IETF meeting, then that means 
*$50* extra per person.)

	Ross.

---

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:56:00 +1200

Hey, gang,

Come to do it in Fiji. It has direct flights to
USA/JAPAN/AUSTRALIA/NEWZEALAND/KOREA/HAWAII, 5 stars hotels with conference
room facilities... Good Internet, albeit expensive, but I'm sure the
Southern Cross Cable gang may give you some spare bandwidth for the
conference....

I think NADI/LA return is around USD600 (need to check this one).

And you may be surfing the net while drinking a pina colada and watching the
sunset.

Franck Martin

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, 17 March 2003 12:00 
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Financial state of the IETF - to be presented Wednesday
> 
> 
> Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]> schrieb/wrote:
> > What about South America and India.  I've heard that both are
> > substantially less expensive than the US/Europe/Japan for
> > vacation accomodations.  Does the same hold for convention costs?
> 
> What about holiday resorts at the beginning and the end of 
> the holiday  
> season?
> 
> Claus
> -- 
> http://www.faerber.muc.de/
>

---

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:38:28 -0800

Margaret,

> Margaret Wasserman wrote:
> [snip]

I agree with the rest of your post, however this concerns me:

> Does ISOC engage a professional fundraising firm?
> If not, maybe that should be considered.

My experience with some of these guys is that they bring only pennies on
the dollar and are received as well as telemarketers that call during
the family dinner. I'm not against the idea if this is what it takes,
but I'd be happy to live without.

Michel.