Subject: PL PMTUD BOF

From: Matt Mathis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:23:22 -0500 (EST)

Are you tired of having your favorite {VPN,tunnel,encapsulation,transition}
protocol get stalled in deployment, because the end systems just can't figure 
out the proper path MTU?

We are working on a new "Packetization Layer Path MTU Discovery Algorithm",
that might solve your problem.  There is a IETF BoF scheduled for 1630 on
Thursday to discuss the formation of a WG.

See http://www.ietf.org/ietf/03mar/plpmtud.txt - "This new algorithm does not
rely on ICMP or other messages from the network (so it is not subject to the
problems described in RFC2923).  Instead it finds the proper MTU by starting
with relatively small packets and searching up wards by probing with test
packets."

Or read the (very preliminary) draft: draft-mathis-plpmtud-00.txt

One of the agenda items for the BoF is to inventory current protocols and 
technologies that are impaired by not having a robust path MTU discovery
algorithm.

BTW, My other agenda (Pushing up the deployed MTU's in the Internet), is out
of scope for this BoF.

Thanks,
--MM--
-------------------------------------------
Matt Mathis      http://www.psc.edu/~mathis
Work:412.268.3319    Home/Cell:412.654.7529
-------------------------------------------