Subject: no multicast of IETF plenaries

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:05:38 -0400

from http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf57.html:

> NEWS:
> 
>       07-15-2003 - We're not going to broadcast the two plenary
>      sessions in the evening wednesday and thursday. They are in
>      different rooms for our equipment, and moving it is too hard.
>      Currently we plan on recording the two plenaries and they should
>      be accessible later.

I'm sorry to learn this.  The multicast access is actually turning out
to be quite useful for me this time around, and the plenaries are
important parts of the meeting.  I hate to miss them.  Watching the
recorded meetings isn't the same because there's no way to provide
real-time feedback.  

(fwiw, in my experience Jabber isn't a very good mechanism for keeping
track of what's going on, but it has worked quite well for making the
occasional remotely-originated comment.)

despite the inability to multicast the plenaries, I'm very appreciative
to the multicast team for allowing me to participate in some of the WG
meetings from Tennessee.

Keith

---

From: "Jeffrey I. Schiller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:06:38 -0400

I too would appreciate the plenaries being multicasted.

			-Jeff

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:41:58 -0700

>I too would appreciate the plenaries being multicasted.

Me too :-)  (But failing that, please try to make the recorded video 
available promptly.)

         Ross.

---

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:03:18 +1000

> Me too :-)  (But failing that, please try to make the recorded video 

Why not pipe the audio to the location with the mixing desk and feed, so its at
worst 0.5 plenaries? it will actually be more, the audio is far more significant
than the video in this respect.

Having done some meeting multicasting in conference centers and having seen this
one, which is fully wired for simultaneous translation, I can't believe there
isn't 75-Ohm audio cabling between all halls via patch panels...

cheers
	-George

-- 
George Michaelson       |  APNIC
Email: [email-masked]    |  PO Box 2131 Milton QLD 4064
Phone: +61 7 3367 0490  |  Australia
  Fax: +61 7 3367 0482  |  http://www.apnic.net

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 01:44:44 -0700 (PDT)

Basically we were unable to use the same rooms for the plenary the we use 
for the regular sessions. For us it's just to much to move the ch1 
equipment in two hours. It is possible the the equipment I,m using will be 
able to source mpeg-1 but not the other sources from the plenary . if it 
works I'll update the webpage at least two hours before the plenary.

joelja

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   [email-masked]    
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the last
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but
  inferior lexicographer I beg to submit that it is the first.
	   	            -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"