Subject: ssl jabber?

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:02:10 +0200

It would be nice to be able to speak ssl to the conference server...

      Cheers Leif

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 02:54:39 -0500

> It would be nice to be able to speak ssl to the conference server...

True. Server-to-server TLS is part of the XMPP specs (where XMPP is an
IETF adaptation of the Jabber protocol), but existing implementations
have not yet been updated to reflect the more robust security of the
XMPP specifications. Expect implementations and deployments in the
coming months (perhaps by the time of the Minneapolis meeting).

Peter

---

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:32:37 +1000

Could somebody re-post a pointer to the canonical 'IETF jabber' howto please?

the various archived documents seem to be a twisty maze. the archives for
sessions I found were for March, nothing current.

-George

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 04:40:44 -0500

> Could somebody re-post a pointer to the canonical 'IETF jabber' howto please?

http://www.jabber.org/ietf/chat.php

I've just updated it to reflect the fact that hosting for the text
conferencing service is in Vienna this time.

Peter

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:04:12 +0200

> the various archived documents seem to be a twisty maze. the archives
> for sessions I found were for March, nothing current.

briefly: login to your jabber as usual

you will find conference rooms at ietf.jabber.at

try the "hallway" room first...

/mtr

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:42:15 +0200

we had some server instability this afternoon... looks like it's
resolved now!

/mtr

---

From: Alan Barrett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:06:26 +0200

> http://www.jabber.org/ietf/chat.php

Two questions:

1) Are there any open-source text-based clients that actually work?
   I prefer not to have to use a graphical environment to view text, and
   I couldn't get sjabber to work.

2) Jabber, Inc. (jabber.com) are spammers, and I would not want to
   support them in any way.  It appears that "Jabber" is a trademark
   owned by the spammers, and this bothers me.  Does jabber.org have a
   position on spam?

--apb (Alan Barrett)

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:23:37 -0500

>    I couldn't get sjabber to work.

There is no really good text-based client. You might try Jarl, a client
written in Perl that contains a CLI mode. Other options are IMcom and
JabberX. Work is definitely needed in this area.

>    owned by the spammers, and this bothers me.  Does jabber.org have a

The Jabber Software Foundation (JSF), which provides a central hub at 
jabber.org for Jabber developers and the network of Jabber servers and 
users, is 100% opposed to spam and has worked hard to ensure that spam 
is extremely difficult (it's always dangerous to say impossible) over 
Jabber/XMPP. The "Jabber" trademark is indeed owned by Jabber, Inc. but 
is currently being transferred to the JSF (it was purchased from its 
previous owner, Oquirrh Technologies, by the parent company of Jabber, 
Inc. in order to prevent potential liabilities early in the development 
of the open-source Jabber developer community, which predated Jabber, 
Inc.); that transfer is not yet complete, but work is proceeding. The 
JSF is a non-profit membership organization but has several sponsoring 
companies, one of which is Jabber, Inc.; while we have no control over 
our sponsors, as executive director of the JSF I will work to persuade 
any sponsoring company that sends unsoliticed bulk email to cease and 
desist.

Feel free to contact me via email or jabber at <[email-masked]> if
you would like to discuss this further.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
Jabber Software Foundation
http://www.jabber.org/people/stpeter.php