Subject: edu-discuss mailing list

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:56:30 -0400

Hi All,

We have established a mailing list for the discussion of the
IETF's internal education efforts, which were discussed at
the Education (edu) BOF in Vienna.  A summary of the BOF
appears below, and full minutes will be sent to the edu-discuss
mailing list.

People who are interested in tracking or participating in our
internal education efforts should subscribe to the edu-discuss
mailing list.  Subscription information can be found at:

https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-discuss

Over the next several weeks, Harald Alvestrand and I will be
working to establish the core education team, and to officially
charter this activity.

Margaret

Education (edu) BOF Summary
===========================

The session was attended by approximately 35 people, and there
was a very high level of engagement and participation.  The BOF
focused on internal educational activities within the IETF --
primarily role and process education.

Early discussions focused on our current educational activities
and ideas/suggestions for improving them.  There was a strong
sense that these activities are important, and that we should
continue and expand them as possible.  Priorities for improvement
included editor training, programs to help non-North Americans
become acclimated to the IETF, and mentoring programs for new
attendees.

The second half of the meeting focused on how to organize and
manage our internal educational efforts moving forward.

Margaret Wasserman presented a proposal for an "education team"
to run the education efforts, something between a WG and a
directorate.  In particular:

Form an education team to run this effort
     - Effort overseen by the General AD
     - General AD appoints team leader(s)
     - Leader(s) and AD choose the team from volunteers,
       refresh and expand the team as needed
     - Team membership publicly known

Community visibility and feedback
     - IETF web page for educational activities
     - Public discussion mailing list
     - Education team archives publicly available
     - Occasional (~yearly?) open meetings at IETF

During the meeting, we agreed that the team should have a written
charter, and that the charter should be included on the web site.

There was a strong consensus of those present that we should form
an education team to run these efforts, as described above.

The meeting ended with emphasis from the General AD that continuing
our existing educational activities should be the top priority of
the education team.