Subject: basic refs

From: Pedro Fortuny <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 08:18:48 +0000

Getting started with the IPv6 protocol (and new to this list :)
Any basic references (no need to be exhaustive at all) (I mean, six
or seven rfc's would be more than ok).

Thx.
-- 
Pedro Fortuny Ayuso ---------------------->      pfortuny.sdf-eu.org
Colegio Mayor Peñafiel, Universidad de Valladolid
C/ Estudios 6, 47005 Valladolid, Spain -->        www.cmpenafiel.org
[email-masked]                         Tfn. Nr. 34  983  298277

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 17:38:01 +0200

> or seven rfc's would be more than ok).

A good start would be:

Internet Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6) Specification  (RFC 2460) (85890 
bytes)
IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture  (RFC 3513) (53920 bytes)
An IPv6 Aggregatable Global Unicast Address Format  (RFC 2374) (25068 
bytes)
IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration  (RFC 2462) (61210 bytes)
Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Ethernet Networks  (RFC 2464) (12725 
bytes)
Neighbor Discovery for IP Version 6 (IPv6)  (RFC 2461) (222516 bytes)

You should also read:

http://ispcolumn.isoc.org/2003-01/Waiting.html
http://ispcolumn.isoc.org/2003-01/WaitingResp.html

Note that due to the fact that IPv6 has been in development for a very 
long time, you're likely to find a lot of obsolete information when 
searching for IPv6 info on the web. Be suspect of anything that isn't 
from this century and any discussion of pTLAs/sTLAs, A6 or 24 bit flow 
label fields and to a lesser degree site local addresses. Also, IPv6 
implementations tend to be fairly basic. Don't expect to see much IPv6 
over PPP or DHCPv6, for instance.