Subject: First Timers

From: "Rohit Gupta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 12:23:51 +0530

Hi,

We will be attending the 57th IETF meeting to be held in Vienna and this will be ours first IETF Meeting. Is there any dress code which is followed out there?

I went  though the Tao of IETF from the ietf.org site and just was interested in others experiences.

Rohit

 
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from Indiatimes at  http://email.indiatimes.com
Buy The Best In BOOKS at http://www.bestsellers.indiatimes.com
Bid for Air Tickets @ Re.1 on Air Sahara Flights. Just log on to http://airsahara.indiatimes.com and Bid Now !

---

From: "Ole J. Jacobsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 03:08:33 -0700 (PDT)

Rohit,

The IETF prides itself on formality. You should be prepared to wear only
the finest and most conservative business suits. For social events such
as the opening reception, we generally expect to greet each other in
tuxedos.

See for example https://www.execstyle.com/fashion.asp

OK, I'm kidding!

This will be my 50th IETF, and I can count on one hand the number of
people times the number of events where I have actually seen a suit.

"Casual and comfortable" is a phrase that describes us well. We favor the
practical over the formal. Don't be surprised to see people sitting on
the floor or hanging out the side of a building if such a location
improves 802.11 reception.

Welcome to the club!

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, Rohit Gupta wrote:

> Hi,
>
>
> We will be attending the 57th IETF meeting to be held in Vienna and this
> will be ours first IETF Meeting. Is there any dress code which is
> followed out there?
>
>

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 08:41:59 -0400

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 12:23:51PM +0530, Rohit Gupta allegedly wrote:
> We will be attending the 57th IETF meeting to be held in Vienna and
> this will be ours first IETF Meeting. Is there any dress code which is
> followed out there?

Most people wear shoes.

---

From: shogunx <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 13:19:36 -0400 (EDT)

Rohit,

I arrived with two backpacks, a laptop, and a sleeping bag and camped in
the hotel during my first IETF.

Enjoy!
Scott

> Bid for Air Tickets @ Re.1 on Air Sahara Flights. Just log on to http://airsahara.indiatimes.com and Bid Now !

sleekfreak pirate broadcast
world tour 2002-3
live from the pirate hideout
http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81

---

From: Richard Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 09:19:05 -0700

Rohit:

Don't believe a word Ole says.  I have seen him at many of his 50 IETF
meetings and most of the time his T-Shirt has been recently washed.

Truly, for the meetings and opening Sunday night "feed," wear whatever you
feel comfortable in.  As noted by others, T-Shirts, shorts and sandals are
common, but at list one distinguished attendee has never been seen in less
than a 3-piece suit (really).

HOWEVER, consider that the meetings will be in Vienna and although it is
summer, Vienna is still a little on the conservative side (no political
comment intended).  So, if you plan on going around town, I'd suggest a
sport-shirt (short sleeved would be fine) and long pants.  Depending on
where you want to eat dinner, you might need a jacket - but of course, your
choice of restaurants is strictly up to you.

Richard

On 7/5/03 3:08 AM, "Ole J. Jacobsen" <[email-masked]> wrote:

...

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 10:36:44 -0700

> will be ours first IETF Meeting. Is there any dress code which is followed
> out there?

yes, clothes are pretty universally expected to be worn.

randy

---

From: Ulrich Kiermayr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 20:28:48 +0200

Hi,

> comment intended).  

Since when? (Ok - I was out of town last week, so it might have changed 
during that time)

> So, if you plan on going around town, I'd suggest a
> sport-shirt (short sleeved would be fine) and long pants.  

Hmmmm, considering the mild 35°C we had in June, this dresscode might 
cause ou some problems. - Note that air-conditioning is not too common 
in AT.
Seriously, as long as you do not walk around without any clothes, 
everything is ok. :-)

> Depending on

I live here - I go out regularly - i never was required to wear a jacket 
  to diner. But maybe there are places here I still do not know ....

lG uk
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ulrich Kiermayr         Zentraler Informatikdienst der Universitaet Wien
Network Security              Universitaetsstrasse 7, 1010 Wien, Austria
------------------------------------------------------------------------
eMail:   [email-masked]          Tel: (+43 1) 4277 / 14104
Hotline: [email-masked]             Fax: (+43 1) 4277 /  9140
------------------------------------------------------------------------
GPG Key fingerprint = BF0D 5749 4DC1 ED74 AB67  7180 105F 491D A8D7 64D8

---

From: Dominic Pinto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 21:52:07 +0100

> > interested in others experiences.

Hey, what's with this 'out there', X-Files, or maybe US-centric, stuff?

---

From: Simon Spero <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 21:25:04 -0400

> Most people wear shoes.

No shirt, no shoes, denial of service.

Simon
p.s.
If you must remove your shirt and tie, make sure you have a t-shirt on 
underneath it.

---

From: shogunx <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 01:47:10 -0400 (EDT)

> No shirt, no shoes, denial of service.

unless you feel more comfortable without shoes, in which case, please wash
your feet.

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 23:19:33 -0400

A
>I live here - I go out regularly - i never was required to wear a 
>jacket  to diner. But maybe there are places here I still do not know ....

what about the Vienna Rathaus? after all it is a spactular venue.. I was 
thinking of pulling out the suit and bowtie or that one if for no reason 
other than to honor our gracious hosts..

>l

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
  <http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

---

From: "Tomson Eric \(Yahoo.fr\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 00:44:10 +0200

Hey, ShogunX, is that part of your anatomy on
http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81/images/data.jpg?
:))

=>-----Original Message-----
=>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
=>Behalf Of shogunx
=>
(...)
=>
=>sleekfreak pirate broadcast
=>world tour 2002-3
=>live from the pirate hideout
=>http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81

---

From: shogunx <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 22:56:12 -0400 (EDT)

Ahh.  Almost like radio free europe.  My apologies to all associated for
both my being unable to attend this IETF, and for the unfortunate display
of my social commentary on current commercial operating systems to the
entire IETF.  the link in question reads:  "NEW section for Windows users.
Click here!"  posted in response to repeated requests to port my software
applications to proprietary operating systems.

I look forward to seeing everyone in Minneapolis.

Scott

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 09:20:04 -0400

Richard Perlman wrote:

>>practical over the formal.
>>
Ah, but wearing clean clothes at IETF is practical; it's so inconvenient 
when somebody walks by, gets a whiff, passes out, and trips over your 
power cord.

-- 
/==========================================\
|John Stracke      [email-masked]   |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centive.com |
|Centive           |My opinions are my own.|
|==========================================|
|"Who died and made you king?" "My father."|
\==========================================/

---

From: Michael Koehler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 00:37:49 +0200

i read about that before: draft-001-jabberanal-proposal-001.txt