Subject: in-addr.arpa missing

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:00:42 +0200

i received 81.160.221.53 via dhcp.  but

Host 53.221.160.81.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

randy

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:58:11 +0200

>Host 53.221.160.81.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
If you think that is strange I got 81.160.251.0 just now (!) but I am not
sure it isn't pocketpc 200x thumbing its nose at me :-)

       Cheers Leif

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:09:58 +0200

> If you think that is strange I got 81.160.251.0 just now

given the netmask, that is a perfectly legitimate interface
address

randy

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:07:42 +0200

>given the netmask, that is a perfectly legitimate interface
True but I'm not getting any traffic through though...

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:20:00 +0300 (EEST)

> given the netmask, that is a perfectly legitimate interface

Be glad it didn't give you 81.260.250.255 because some filter out all 
addresses that end up with .255 :-)

Even in ISP backbones.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 02:27:14 -0700 (PDT)

> sure it isn't pocketpc 200x thumbing its nose at me :-)

It's a big subnet.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   [email-masked]    
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the last
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but
  inferior lexicographer I beg to submit that it is the first.
	   	            -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 02:29:23 -0700 (PDT)

> True but I'm not getting any traffic through though...

some borken os's don't like ip address that end in 0 or 255...

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:45:36 +0200

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

For what it is worth, the wavesec network has a reverse map. 

Put:

option oe-key code 159 = string;
option oe-gateway code 160 = ip-address;
send oe-key = "16896 4 1 <some-base64>";

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers, 
	domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name, oe-gateway;
require subnet-mask, routers, domain-name-servers, oe-gateway;

in your dhclient.conf, and you'll get an IP on the other network,
which has reverse. see www.wavesec.org. I don't know yet how to do
this for OS/X, or the LookOut OS.

We offered to help the hosts do the reverse map for the rest, but
it wasn't possible to get the right people there on Saturday/Sunday.

]                   At IETF57 in Wien, Austria                  |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked] http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
] printk("Just another Debian GNU/Linux using, kernel hacking, security guy");[

---

From: Roland Bless <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:34:17 +0200

> Host 53.221.160.81.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

:-(

Yes, I got the same result first. However, after enabling
my dhcp client to send my hostname, I obviously got a dynDNS
entry and reverse lookup works now.