Subject: Korean cell phones

From: "Ole J. Jacobsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:34:07 -0700 (PDT)

In response to my comments at the plenary, the situation in Korea is a bit
more complex than "they have their own incompatible system". In summary:

- GSM is very limited, if at all existent (I found one network listed as
  "planned for Sept  2003")

- Some pages claim "not compatible with your US handset" -- i.e. no
  CDMA roaming

- Many pages offer rentals

- Some providers appear to offer roaming using your GSM SIM card in a
  Korean CDMA handset (unless I got that all wrong)

Google for "Korean Cell Phones" or "Roaming in Korea" for more info.

Otherwise, I am pretty sure you can get a phone and a prepaid service for
something reasonable, but I will know more when I visit there in 30 days.

Since Samsung is the sponsor, why not just include a phone for each
attendee in the registration packet in stead of a T-shirt? :-)

Cheers,

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:42:34 +0200

> - Some pages claim "not compatible with your US handset" -- i.e. no

Ole,

I remember from the last time I worked on Korean CDMA systems they had 
a different frequency (1700 MHz?).

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:56:07 -0400

> - GSM is very limited, if at all existent (I found one network listed 

I was in Seoul a few weeks ago and my tri-band GSM handset couldn't 
find any network. There may be GSM coverage somewhere, but it certainly 
doesn't make itself easy to find.

>   Korean CDMA handset (unless I got that all wrong)

There are some details here:

   http://www.ktfroaming.com/

KT seem to have a large pile of agreements in place with GSM operators. 
Microcell send me a flyer not long ago which said that you could rent a 
CDMA handset at the airport suitable for use with one of their SIMs for 
$1.50 per day (Canadian dollars).

Joe