Subject: IETF PGP Key Signing Party - RESCHEDULED

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:37:43 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings...  As has become traditional, we will be holding a PGP key
signing party at the IETF meeting next week in Vienna.  Ted Ts'o will
be unable to attend this IETF meeting, so I have agreed to organize
the session in his place.

Please note that because the IETF has rooms booked in the conference
center only until 22:00 each day, our usual Wednesday-night time slot
after the plenary was not available.  Instead, we will be holding the
event at the beginning of the dinner break on MONDAY, at 17:30.  Due
to the late change, the Secretariat has not yet told me what room we'll
be using; when I find out, I'll send an update and post the time on
the message board.

The rest of this text was generously donated by Ted Ts'o, modulo
some changes relating to the details.  The procedure we will use is
the following:

o People who wish to participate should email an ASCII extract of
  their PGP public key to <[email-masked]> by noon on Monday, July
  14, 2003.  Please include a subject line of "IETF PGP KEY", and
  please DO NOT MIME-ENCRYPT your e-mail.  Send it to me as plain
  text, and do NOT base-64 encode things.  (I will be running the
  entire mail folder file through GPG, and PGP-keys that are base-64
  encoded will get ignored unless I take manual action to fix things.
  I will try do the manual fixup, but I make no guarantees about
  catching all of them.)

  The method of generating the ASCII extract under Unix is:

	pgp -kxa my_email_address mykey.asc		(pgp 2.6.2)
	pgpk -xa my_email_address > mykey.asc		(pgp 5.x)
	gpg --export -a my_email_address > mykey.asc	(gpg)

  If you're using Windows or Macintosh, hopefully it will be Intuitively
  Obvious (tm) using the GUI interface how to generate an ASCII armored
  key that begins "-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----".

o By 4pm on Monday, you will be able to fetch the complete key ring
  from any of the following locations with all of the keys that were
  submitted:

        /afs/grand.central.org/project/ietf-pgp/ietf57.pgp
        http://grand.central.org/dl/ietf-pgp/ietf57.pgp
        ftp://grand.central.org/pub/ietf-pgp/ietf57.pgp

o At 5:30pm, come prepared with the PGP Key fingerprint of your PGP
  public key; we will have handouts with all of the key fingerprints of
  the keys that people have mailed in.

o In turn, readers at the front of the room will recite people's keys;
  as your key fingerprint is read, stand up, and at the end of reading
  of your PGP key fingerprint, acknowledge that the fingerprint as read
  was correct.

o Later that evening, or perhaps when you get home, you can sign the
  keys corresponding to the fingerprints which you were able to verify
  on the handout; note that it is advisable that you only sign keys of
  people when you have personal knowledge that the person who stood up
  during the reading of his/her fingerprint really is the person which
  he/she claimed to be.

o Submit the keys you have signed to the PGP keyservers.  A good one to
  use is the one at MIT: simply send mail containing the ascii armored
  version of your PGP public key to <[email-masked]>.

Note that you don't have to have a laptop with you; if you don't have
any locally trusted computing resources during the key signing party,
you can make notes on the handout, and then take the handout home and
sign the keys later.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <[email-masked]>
   Sr. Research Systems Programmer
   School of Computer Science - Research Computing Facility
   Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA

---

From: Ulrich Kiermayr <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:28:38 +0200

> be using; when I find out, I'll send an update and post the time on

Hmmmm, that was not very helpful, since majordomo sent out the mail @

Received: from asgard.ietf.org (asgard.ietf.org [132.151.6.40])
	by mailbox.univie.ac.at (8.12.2/8.12.2) with ESMTP id h6EH5xoQ072474
	for <[email-masked]>; Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:06:17 +0200

was this just with my email address, or a server problem (i did get 
other mails from the ml during that time)?

lG uk
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ulrich Kiermayr         Zentraler Informatikdienst der Universitaet Wien
Network Security              Universitaetsstrasse 7, 1010 Wien, Austria
------------------------------------------------------------------------
eMail:   [email-masked]          Tel: (+43 1) 4277 / 14104
Hotline: [email-masked]             Fax: (+43 1) 4277 /  9140
------------------------------------------------------------------------
GPG Key fingerprint = BF0D 5749 4DC1 ED74 AB67  7180 105F 491D A8D7 64D8

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:58:14 +0200 (CEST)

> other mails from the ml during that time)?

It's unclear whether it was a server problem or a moderation problem. I'm
not subscribed to this list, so it's possible my message was held for some
time.  I talked to folks from the IETF Secretariat on Sunday, and they did
not remember seeing my message in the moderation queue.  However, Marcia
Beaulieu was kind enough to arrange for the message to be sent to the IETF
announcement list on Sunday afternoon, and to post a notice on the agenda
board, which I had hoped would be sufficient.

My apologies to anyone who was excluded due to the problems with the
announcement.