Subject: Re: Multicast Last Mile BOF report

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:53:22 +0900

>There are a number of concerns, including security, potential for
>using this for DoS, and whether there's a business model for the
>replicator.  Much of the discussion ratholed on whether there's a
>business model, and to what extent this works around existing ISP's
>business models.

	my guess is that DoS/abuse possibility is very similar to that of
	6to4 relay routers, or even worse (as multicast-last-mile creates
	state while 6to4 relay router does not).

itojun

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:40:09 +0300 (EEST)

> 	state while 6to4 relay router does not).

However, note that *IF* there's already an accepted premise of state, it
might be slightly easier to secure.  With 6to4 relay routers, the
statelessness is the thing which is simultaneously the bug and the
feature.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:39:41 +0100

[Note: the host my incoming email is on is hosed, so I can't currently
read email]

Multicast Last Mile BOF Report

The problem being tackled isn't completely clearly defined, but the
general philopshy is that multicast is not being deployed because most
potential receivers are using ISPs that don't supply multicast
service.  The proposal is that we need some form of auto-tunnelling
protocol which would allow a receiver to request unicast tunnelling of
multgicast traffic from a replicator somewhere on the
multicast-capable internet.  Such proposals have come up repeatedly
over the last ten years.

Th

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:11:28 +0200

> multicast-capable internet.  Such proposals have come up repeatedly

there is a serious contest to see how many mechanisms multicast
and v6 can develop to overcome why they are not being deployed.
they should get a clue.

randy