Subject: Draft-klensin-process-july14-01.txt.

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:36:30 -0600

John Klensin and I wrote a draft on lightweight process experiments,
and would like to get other people's feedback before requesting last
call for publication as a BCP.

The abstract is

   In the last two years, the IETF has initiated a number of
   interrelated efforts to improve or fine-tune its standards process
   and its internal procedures using the procedures intended for
   development of protocol specifications.  None of these efforts has
   had an observable impact on the quality or timeliness of IETF
   outputs, and, based on the proposed charter milestones now under
   discussion, approval to try to improve things is still between six
   and eighteen months away. This document proposes a radically
   different approach to the system of making changes to IETF process,
   one that relies heavily on a "propose and carry out an experiment,
   evaluate the experiment, and then establish permanent procedures
   based on operational experience" model rather than the ones that
have
   been attempted previously.

The announcement is at
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf-announce/Current/msg29188.html.

The draft itself is at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-process-july14-01.txt.

Please follow up on the Solutions mailing list. The URL for this
mailing list, including subscription information, is
http://eikenes.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/solutions.

Thanks,

Spencer, for John and Spencer