Subject: IETF59 Hotel's Wireless Network

From: Woohyong Choi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 19:28:26 +0900

As IETF59 NOC do not have any control over hotel's facilities,
all we could do was just to ask, and what hotel says is ...

Hotel's wireless will be free of charge until 3PM on Friday.

We regret that we could not arrange better terms for you.

Regards,
Woohyong Choi / IETF59 NOC Team

P.S. After I announced that SMTP access to smtp.ietf59.or.kr
is available from hotel's network, I realized later today
that updating of one access list has been neglected. It should
work now until we shutdown our servers tomorrow afternoon.

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:51:31 +0900

> Hotel's wireless will be free of charge until 3PM on Friday.

Then, why don't you shutdown IETF WLAN service today?

Hotel one is good enough.

> We regret that we could not arrange better terms for you.

We do appreciate your effort.

Usually, free network access (Hotel one or not) was shutdown
at noon of Friday, which was inconvenient for some foreigners,
for example for those having Saturday flights.

						Masataka Ohta

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:11:55 +0900

> Hotel one is good enough.

Ohta-san: given what I saw as part of the NOC team at IETF55, I very
much doubt that the hotel's WiFi could handle 1000+ users in one
ballroom, that is still very much the bleeding edge for 802.11.

Woohyong: thank you and the team very much for a very good IETF
network.

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:41:09 +0900

>>Then, why don't you shutdown IETF WLAN service today?

I mean today at midnight or so.

> ballroom, that is still very much the bleeding edge for 802.11.

1000+?

I've heard that only about 1/4 of participants, which is a
lot less than 4000, are from US and none of them will be in
a ballroom tomorrow.

And I expect the number should even decrease tomorrow.

> Woohyong: thank you and the team very much for a very good IETF

I fully agree with you here, except that I also thank you. :-)

						Masataka Ohta

---

From: Woohyong Choi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 22:42:25 +0900

> I mean today at midnight or so.

It's basically because we wanted to provide what we have
promised for.

Hotel's access points for banquet area have been shutdown
to minimize interferences, and they are scheduled to
brought back up at around noon tomorrow afternoon before
we shutdown IETF59 network.

> lot less than 4000, are from US and none of them will be in

For the record, max concurrent 11b users were 525 during the
second afternoon session on Monday while there were max of
46 11a users during the last night's plenary(11b users topped
around 360 during the time). Number of unique nodes that
appeared so far is 1295.

These are quick facts made available from IETF59 NOC's lead
wireless geek, Masafumi OE from the WIDE project.  He is going
to make more information available later.

Regards,