Subject: IETF59 Huge Noise on 11b Channels

From: Woohyong Choi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 15:34:31 +0900

We've experienced huge noise in all 11b channels seriously damaging
services in Emerald and Crystal rooms right before the afternoon
refreshments break.

We have no good clue on what might have made such noises, but noise
has almost disappeared in the rooms around the break time when people
moved out of rooms.

It could have been a malfunctioning client or even a jamming device?

Hence, we'd like to ask all of you to check if your wireless card is
working properly and if possible reset your wireless adaptors.

Regards,
Woohyong Choi / IETF59 NOC Team

---

From: Masafumi OE <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:18:51 +0900

Dear 802.11g users at IETF59,

Radio signals from 11g clients are creating jamming noises for 
11b clients and APs because 11b nodes catch 11g signals with 
OFDM modulation as noises.

11g clients with ad-hoc and no protection mode are making serious 
impacts to our wireless network.  For that reason, we cound't 
provide stable wireless network in Emerald and Crystal rooms.

PLEASE DISABLE AD-HOC MODE for stable wireless network operation.

Thank you for your cooporation.

--
Masafumi OE, wireless team@IETF59.

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 03:34:31PM +0900,

-- 
Masafumi Oe, Astronomical Data Analysis Center, NAOJ.