Subject: RE: How IETF treats contributors

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:18:17 -0700

>     9. Acknowledgements
> 
>        Variations on the idea of using a DNS record to check the
> legitimacy
>        of an email address have occurred multiple times. The earliest
> known
>        work is [Vixie]; others include [RMX], [SPF] and [CallerID].
> 
>        The current document borrows heavily from each of the above,
and
>        incorporates ideas proposed by many members of the MARID
working
>       group.  The contributions of each of the above are gratefully
>       acknowledged.

Ted,

My personal practice, when writing such acknowledgement sections, is to
write down the names of the individuals who contributed the idea, or
contributed significant comments to a draft.

It is true that if one follows references such as [RMX] one eventually
find the list of authors of the proposal, but they are still at least
one level of indirection away. The MARID draft could just as well say
something like "The earliest work was submitted to the IETF by Paul
Vixie [Vixie]; others include ..." ASCII bits are cheap.

-- Christian Huitema

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:10:42 -0700 (PDT)

> Vixie [Vixie]; others include ..." ASCII bits are cheap.

This would be a very reasonable thing to do IMO.

				Ned