Subject: Re: How IETF treats contributors

From: "Clint Chaplin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:45:12 -0700

Well, at least for 802.11, this isn't true.

There is a section to list the contributors who had contributed a significant contribution to the standards process.  This list can get quite lengthy.

Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin
Wireless Security Advisor
Wireless Standards Lead

>>> John Day <[email-masked]> 8/30/04 16:05:30 >>>
The best solution is to remove all authorship from all Internet 
standards, then there will be no problems.  This isn't suppose to be 
an ego trip. If people really think the documents are important, they 
don't need their names on them.  If they need their name on it, they 
are doing it for the wrong reasons.

You don't find authors on the output of the standards groups.  The 
most you will find is a list of the membership at the time of 
approval.

Take care,
John

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf 

________________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned for computer viruses.

________________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned for computer viruses.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:30:29 -0400 (EDT)

fwiw - the requirement from RFC 3667 is
   a. The Contribution properly acknowledges all major Contributors.  A
      major Contributor is any person who has materially or
      substantially contributed to the IETF Contribution.

I meant this to refer to people, not just document names

Scott

----
Christian sed:
  My personal practice, when writing such acknowledgement sections, is to
  write down the names of the individuals who contributed the idea, or
  contributed significant comments to a draft.