Subject: List of standards

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:29:57 +0200

Why is the list of internet standards so hard to find?

It seems to me this list deserves top ranking on the first page at 
www.ietf.org, but that's certainly not the case. (Try to find it and 
see what I mean.)

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:04:30 +0100

At 16:29 17/08/04 +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
>www.ietf.org, but that's certainly not the case. (Try to find it and see 
>what I mean.)

See:  http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/std/std1.txt

But I agree it's not obvious unless you know that STD 1 is the list of 
standards.

#g

------------
Graham Klyne
For email:
http://www.ninebynine.org/#Contact

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:23:02 -0700

> www.ietf.org, but that's certainly not the case. (Try to find it and see 

It deserves top ranking on search engines; knowing that the IETF is a 
place to look for Internet standards is as obscure as knowing that 
they're a subset of something called "RFCs".

FWIW, Google gave the IETF as the top-ranked item of a search of 
"Internet standards", but the RFC Editor site, as well as other lists of 
STDs, is in the top 10 replies there.

Joe

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:29:30 +0200

On 19 aug 2004, at 23:23, Joe Touch wrote:

>> www.ietf.org

> It deserves top ranking on search engines;

So are you saying that we should put our trust into the undisclosed 
algorithms that try to recover relevance from random documents 
throughout the web for profit rather than the person managing the IETF 
website?

> knowing that the IETF is a place to look for Internet standards is as 
> obscure as knowing that they're a subset of something called "RFCs".

Neither of those is as obscure as the location of the actual list of 
internet standards. But who cares. Either someone will fix the problem 
and the world will a slightly better place, although probably not to a 
statistically significant degree, the problem won't be fixed and at 
least the link is in the mailing list archives, or someone will provide 
a good reason for the missing link and we'll all learn something. None 
of those possibilities are improved by discussing the matter further 
without the benefit of new facts.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:27:34 -0700

>Why is the list of internet standards so hard to find?

I dunno. I tend to look for the most recent one in 
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc-index.txt. The most recent one I find is 
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3700.txt.

Or, alternatively, I have a script that auto-generates the list for me.

     ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/fred/rfc-index/rfc.html
     ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/fred/rfc-index/std.html