Subject: IETF60 Network and Terminal Room Information

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:17:13 -0700

Gentlepeople,
	Attached below you will find the usage information for the network and 
terminal room for the 60th IETF meeting. Sorry for the lateness of the 
post! If you have any questions or concerns, please see us at the help 
desk in the terminal room, or send a note to 60crew at daedelus dot 
com.

	Enjoy!

	- Jim

							Network and Terminal Room Information
								IETF 60 – San Diego, Ca

Terminal Room
---------------------
The Terminal Room is located in Harbor Island III and is open 24 hours 
beginning at 4pm on Sunday August 1st and ending at 12 noon on Friday 
August 6th. A help desk is being provided and will be manned from 8:00 
AM to 8:00 PM every day.  The room itself consists of approximately 150 
seats providing wired 10/100 Ethernet access and 110v North American 
power ports.  There are also two duplex printers available.

Please note that there are 5 laptops available for general use.  They 
are located at the front of the far left row of tables as you enter the 
Terminal Room.  Please do not change settings or install programs on 
these machines without speaking to the help desk first.

When using the Ethernet connections in the Terminal Room, IPv4 
addressing is provided via DHCP. Please use Dynamic Autoconfiguration 
for IPv6. Unlike the wireless networks, IP multicast is enabled for 
this network.

Network Basics
---------------------
The IETF 60 network connects to the Internet via a DS3 (45 Megabits) 
with a backup wireless T1 (1.5M). The entire event is addressed out of 
the 130.129.0.0/16 block for IPv4 and 2001:240:5bf::/48 for IPv6. IPv4 
multicast is being provided via a GRE tunnel, and IPv6 is tunneled in 
via IPv6 over IPv4.

Wireless
------------
An 802.11b wireless network is being provided liberally in the Sheraton 
Hotel. The areas being specifically covered are the meeting rooms and 
hallways in the conference area, the lobby and bar area in the East 
(main) building and the lobby in the West building.

To use this network, associate with the beaconed SSID of “ietf60”. IPv4 
addressing is provided via DHCP, and IPv6 clients should use Dynamic 
Autoconfiguration. Due to bandwidth concerns IP multicast is not 
available on this network.

For those interested in a bit more link-layer security, a 128-bit WEP 
enabled SSID is available. It must be manually configured, as there is 
no beacon for this network, The SSID is “ietf60-wep” and the WEP key is 
“ietf60#ietf60” (Hex: 696574 6636302 369657 4663630 )

For substantially better link-layer security, we are experimenting with 
an 802.1X based mechanism.  When we are ready to have IETF participants 
join our experiment a note will be posted on the bulletin board in the 
conference area foyer and on the IETF list.

The proper operation of the wireless network requires the assistance of 
all users.  One of the most significant issues with wireless 
performance in past IETF meetings has been wireless clients 
automatically, or accidentally initiating "ad-hoc" networks that act as 
the official IETF wireless network, causing other users to associate 
with false IETF wireless networks.  Therefore, please disable your 
client's ability to create an ad-hoc network.  If you are using Windows 
XP or Mac OS X 10.3 to manage your wireless client, the instructions 
are listed below. If you are using other systems, please do what ever 
your particular wireless client management system requires to turn off 
ad-hoc networks.

Instructions for Mac OS X
   Open System Preferences -> Network -> Airport  and then un-check the 
box for "Allow this computer to create networks"

Instructions for Windows XP
   Open Properties -> wireless networks -> advanced and then select 
"access point (infrastructure) networks only" and unselect 
"automatically connect to non-preferred networks"

Printing
-----------
Two printers are located in the Terminal Room and are available to all 
IETF users. The printers themselves are HP LaserJet 4050TNs which are 
Postscript capable and have the duplex option installed. The printers 
are accessible via IPP, LPD, and Windows Printing (via samba).
•	IPP - URI ipp://lpd.ietf60.ietf.org/printer
•	cups - browsing enabled and should be discovered automatically
•	Mac - under Printer Setup Utility use "HP 4050 TNs" under shared 
printers
•	Windows XP users:
o	Open printer settings
o	Choose 'Add a printer' , then 'Next'
o	Change setting from 'Local' to 'Network' printer and choose 'Next'
o	Change the option from 'browse' to 'Connect to this printer'
o	In the 'Name field type :   \\lpd.ietf60.ietf.org\printer        and 
then choose 'Next'
o	Next an Add Printer Wizard dialogue box will appear, you need to 
select two things: In the left window (Manufacturer) select 'HP'. Then 
in the right hand window (Printers), scroll down and select 'HP 
LaserJet 4050 Series PS', then hit 'Ok'

Services
------------
The following network services are provided:
•	SMTP –  {smtp,smtp1,smtp2}.ietf60.ietf.org
SMTP relay services are provided for users on the IETF network as well 
as the Sheraton guest room network.
•	NTP - {ntp,ntp1,ntp2}.ietf60.ietf.org
Stratum 2 time service is provided via IPv4 unicast.
•	Local IETF Website mirror – www.ietf.org
We have a local complete mirror of the IETF site. If you resolve 
www.ietf.org using the onsite DNS servers, you will be directed to the 
local mirrors.

These services are being provided from both of the following servers:
130.129.16.8 (IPv4) or 2001:240:5bf:16:230:1bff:fead:4e40 (IPv6)
130.129.16.9 (IPv4) or 2001:240:5bf:16:230:1bff:fead:4e2c (IPv6)

Additionally, full recursive DNS service is being provided from 
130.129.16.26 and 130.129.16.27. Our domain name is ietf60.ietf.org.

Thanks
----------
The terminal room and IETF network are made possible by the generous 
contributions by a number of companies and by the tireless efforts of 
our volunteer team. We also want to thank Greg Sheppard and Itojun for 
the IP multicast and IPv6 tunnels. If you see any of these people in 
the halls, please be sure to thank them for all their work!

Contributors:					
Cisco Systems			
Juniper Networks		
MediaLive International		
Qualcomm			
Fluke Networks			
Priority Networks				
AirMagnet			
Red-M			
NetHere			
Netzwert AG		
Netcordia			
Infoblox	

Volunteers:
Jim Martin
Bill Jensen
Karen O’Donoghue
Geoff Horne
Chris Stradtman
Bill Burge
Chris Liljenstolpe
Helen Garey
Chris Elliott
Terry Slattery
Gerard Goubert
Ben Crosby
Jean-Pierre Letournel	
Rafael Rizo
François Marcier
Christopher Hessing
Mykhaylo Ryechkin
Scott Bloomquist

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf