Subject: Re: IETF60: time needed for check-in at San Diego? (fwd)

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 22:18:26 -0400 (EDT)

[I sent this last Tuesday and again this afternon from a
non-subscribed address, but it looks like the moderator didn't approve
it.  Sorry if you're seeing multiple copies.]

---------- Forwarded message ----------

> Clearly it seems that this is irrelevant (in general) to US people,
> they don't mind what they government do, good or bad, but negative
> for the rest of the world. So the rest of the world should also
> consider offering the same pain and wait time to the US nationals ?
> I'm not asking for it, but the question is an exercise for US
> nationals to understand our situation, and consider taking some
> actions.

Brazil already does this to US citizens, defending the action by
referring the the ancient diplomatic principle of reciprocity.  On the
other hand, there's something to be said for countries not lowering
themselves to the level of the US and instead treating visitors as
they want their own citizens to be treated when traveling abroad.

Beyond that, I'm not sure enough US citizens travel abroad for
reciprocity to be effective: only about 21% of US citizens hold
passports, and many of those probably got them for single trips --
reciprocal measures won't be seen by that many people.

Perhaps a more practical course of action is to refuse to attend
meetings in the US and put pressure on meeting organizers to avoiding
scheduling meetings in the US.  I hear Vancouver is lovely in July.

-- Sam

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Clint Chaplin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 21:07:52 -0700

Vancouver is lovely any time of the year.  Been there in January, June, and November.

Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin
Wireless Security Advisor
Wireless Standards Lead
>>> Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]> 08/01/04 19:49 PM >>>

---------- Forwarded message ----------

-- Sam

________________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned for computer viruses.