Subject: Request for volunteers: IETF list sergeant-at-arms

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:22:50 +0200

Hi folks,

as we are nearing the time when we have a completed Administrative 
Restructuring considerations document available to put before the IETF, we 
have to make ready to manage the discussion to consensus.

We (IESG/IAB) have recommended using the IETF list ([email-masked]) as the 
veichle for discussion - this is an issue that affects the IETF as a whole, 
so it seems appropriate to put discussion in a place that has traditionally 
been dedicated to IETF-wide issues.

However, this brings up a small issue: Traditionally, the IETF chair has 
been the moderator (with a rather light hand) of the IETF list. In this 
discussion, the IETF chair is an active participant in the work and the 
discussion; it seems inappropriate to ask the IETF chair to also decide 
whether or not posts are off-topic and/or abusive.

Luckily, the IETF list charter (RFC 3005) has a solution:

   The IETF Chair, the IETF Executive Director, or a sergeant-at-arms
   appointed by the Chair is empowered to restrict posting by a person,
   or of a thread, when the content is inappropriate and represents a
   pattern of abuse.

So - I'm hereby asking for volunteers for the job - which is a thankless 
one, but will not go unthanked!

You should:

- Be a regular reader of the IETF list (at least a few times a week)
- Be willing to monitor and moderate the list according to the rules in the 
IETF list charter (RFC 3005), rather than your personal opinion
- Be willing to commit to doing the job for at least 3 months
- Have a thick skin :-)

(Taking a vacation in the next 3 months does not disqualify - we can always 
find ways to deal with a crisis...)

Anyone who is willing to do this job - send me a note (privately), and I 
will pick one (or more, if I have a convincing argument that this is 
appropriate).

Thanks in advance!

                               Harald Alvestrand

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf