Subject: RE: How IETF treats contributors

From: "Nick Carter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:03:12 -0500

The problem being discussed is not a matter of disliking or liking spam,
but rather the problem of solving it.  On that note, I agree with Dean
Anderson.  Everyone hates SPAM, but that is not in question.  I think
credit should be given to the individual that properly documented the
solution and not just to someone that noted an idea.  You could contest
it saying it was an excrescence of Vixie's work, but the details do not
exist in Vixie's work.  As noted with Dean, Vixies work is implausible
and therefore credit should not be given. All work submitted should be
punctilio and of protocol.  

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Thomas Gal
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 7:12 PM
To: 'John Day'; 'Hadmut Danisch'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: How IETF treats contributors

I agree with: 

"This isn't suppose to be an ego trip. If people really think the
documents
are important, they don't need their names on them.  If they need their
name
on it, they are doing it for the wrong reasons."

	Not to mention the spirit of removing authorship. In reality I
feel
like this amounts to removing the title or something else that is so
obviuosly a part of a document. Certainly there is no shame in being
proud
of your work, and nobody can help but feel a little miffed when
something
they did may have been overlooked. Seems fairly possible however that
the
people who are most interested in this subject probably know what really
maters, and one way or another EVERYONE on the IETF list now knows. The
solutions to these kinds of problems have always been in your hands, and
YOU
are empowered when you choose not to care....or at least let something
get
under your skin.

	Isn't the point here that EVERYONE hates spam?

-Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
John
Day
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 4:06 PM
To: Hadmut Danisch; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: How IETF treats contributors

The best solution is to remove all authorship from all Internet
standards,
then there will be no problems.  This isn't suppose to be an ego trip.
If
people really think the documents are important, they don't need their
names
on them.  If they need their name on it, they are doing it for the wrong
reasons.

You don't find authors on the output of the standards groups.  The most
you
will find is a list of the membership at the time of approval.

Take care,
John

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Aug 2004 17:17:19 +0000

[email-masked] ("Nick Carter") writes:

> ... You could contest it saying it was an excrescence of Vixie's work,
> but the details do not exist in Vixie's work.  As noted with Dean, Vixies
> work is implausible and therefore credit should not be given. All work
> submitted should be punctilio and of protocol.

of the three of us (you, me, dean) i have a pretty clear idea who i'd trust
the most to advise anybody about what can or cannot be done in SMTP or DNS.

however, i'm quite interested in feedback as to the plausibility of miller's
idea, which i expressed at <http://sa.vix.com/~vixie/mailfrom.txt>.  thanks!
-- 
Paul Vixie