Subject: Complaint on personal attack by John Brown

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:07:24 -0400 (EDT)

The following message by John Brown includes an inappropriate personal
attack in violation of the following sections of the ISOC Code of Conduct:  
http://www.isoc.org/members/codeconduct.shtml

7  Only offer or claim to offer opinions or services that lie within the 
   member's actual knowledge or competence.

8  In the case of financial or material conflict between personal and 
   professional interests, or between two professional interests, declare 
   this conflict to all interested parties and if appropriate in public.

9  Respect the generally accepted norms of Internet etiquette for human 
   communications, especially by avoiding communications that are false or 
   are likely to be considered as discourteous, objectionable, malicious, 
   unwanted, or causing unjustified loss of prestige. Avoid fraudulent or 
   deceptive statements. 

11 Treat all users and colleagues fairly and on equal terms.

And the message violates the following sections of the IETF Guidelines for 
Conduct RFC 3184:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3184.txt?number=3184

1. IETF participants extend respect and courtesy to their colleagues
      at all times.

      IETF participants come from diverse origins and backgrounds and
      are equipped with multiple capabilities and ideals.  Regardless of
      these individual differences, participants treat their colleagues
      with respect as persons--especially when it is difficult to agree
      with them.  Seeing from another's point of view is often
      revealing, even when it fails to be compelling.
      English is the de facto language of the IETF, but it is not the
      native language of many IETF participants.  Native English
      speakers attempt to speak clearly and a bit slowly and to limit
      the use of slang in order to accommodate the needs of all
      listeners.

   2. IETF participants develop and test ideas impartially, without
      finding fault with the colleague proposing the idea.

      We dispute ideas by using reasoned argument, rather than through
      intimidation or ad hominem attack.  Or, said in a somewhat more
      IETF-like way:

            "Reduce the heat and increase the light"

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:01:31 -0600
From: John Brown CT <[email-masked]>
To: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Cc: Joe Shen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dnsop] Re: Root Anycast (fwd)

[...]

I realize that many on this list don't reply to the troll food that Dean 
leaves around, but I felt it important to reply as someone thats NOT in
any shape fashion or form, ISC or its staff.   I am somone that has done 
the engineering work to make a different letter work better via Anycast.
Which letter, well that doesn't matter.

[...]

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf