Subject: National network harmonization efforts?

From: Erik Huizer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 14:14:55 +0200

My government has concluded after various complains, that with the advance 
of broadband connections some providers in the market deliver 
not-so-compatible-and-transparant services. E.g. NATs are used inside the 
network, ADSL2+ and VDSL don't fit together very well etc. This would not 
be bothersome if we had a clean and open market situation, as the consumers 
would vote with their feet and make it right. However we don't.

Thus my government has decided to ask a small committee to make an 
inventory of "may" "shoulds" and "musts" for broadband infrastructure in 
order to educate people providing the service, to inform the the consumers 
and to help the content providers. (And no, it will not be enforced with a 
conformance test center :-).

I have been asked to participate in this effort, and will do so, but I was 
wondering wether other countries have gone through the same excercise. I 
already got hold of an article describing a similar effort in Italy.

if you know of a similar effort in your country please mail me privately 
with answers and references. I will compile a summary for the IETF list.

Thanks,
Erik Huizer
University Utrecht/Twente

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 21:12:48 -0700

Erik-

Just curious: do you see draft-klensin-ip-service-terms-04.txt as a 
useful contribution to this effort?  My understanding is that the it is 
motivated to be helpful input to the task you describe.

--aaron

On Sep 8, 2004, at 5:14 AM, Erik Huizer wrote:

> My government has concluded after various complains, that with the 
> advance of broadband connections some providers in the market deliver 
> not-so-compatible-and-transparant services. E.g. NATs are used inside 
> the network, ADSL2+ and VDSL don't fit together very well etc. This 
> would not be bothersome if we had a clean and open market situation, 
> as the consumers would vote with their feet and make it right. However 
> we don't.
>
> inventory of "may" "shoulds" and "musts" for broadband infrastructure 
> in order to educate people providing the service, to inform the the 
> consumers and to help the content providers. (And no, it will not be 
> enforced with a conformance test center :-).
>
> I have been asked to participate in this effort, and will do so, but I 
> was wondering wether other countries have gone through the same 
> excercise. I already got hold of an article describing a similar 
> effort in Italy.
>
> if you know of a similar effort in your country please mail me 
> privately with answers and references. I will compile a summary for 
> the IETF list.
>
> Thanks,
> Erik Huizer