Subject: RE: Scenario C or Scenario O ?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:53:05 +0100

Disclaimer:  I haven't read all of the Scenario O and Scenario C
proposals. 
( Yes, I am sitting two rows away from my screen. )

On the subject of a new incorporated entity ( Scenario C ) versus an
already incorporated entity ( Scenario O ), the arguments in my mind
stack up thus:

Scenario C:
Some risk ( e.g. of obtaining tax-free status );
Some delay ( may not be critical );
Extra cost - lawyer, accountant, clerical people, etc. needed;
More focus on IETF administration ?
New relationship needed with ISOC, as well as with the IETF.

Scenario O:
Less risk ( e.g. temporary cover if the administrative entity person
should "fold" );
Less delay;
Economies of scale - lawyer, accountant, clerical people, etc. already
employed by ISOC ( admittedly more may be needed );
Diluted focus ? ( I don't quite buy this, if the entity is set up
specifically to handle IETF admin and nothing else. )
No external relationship with ISOC needed.   ISOC / IETF relationship
already well established.

No doubt there are more pros and cons, if anyone wants to do a proper
SWAT analysis.

On what I've seen and thought so far, I prefer Scenario O.

	Regards,

	Graham Travers

	International Standards Manager
	BT Group

	e-mail:   [email-masked]
	tel:        +44(0) 1359 235086
	mobile:  +44(0) 7808 502536
          HWB279, PO Box 200,London, N18 1ZF, UK

BT Group plc
Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ
Registered in England and Wales no. 4190816 This electronic message
contains information from BT Group plc which may be privileged or
confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received
this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone or email
(to the numbers or address above) immediately. Activity and use of the
BT Group plc E-mail system is monitored to secure its effective
operation and for other lawful business purposes. Communications using
this system will also be monitored and may be recorded to secure
effective operation and for other lawful business purposes. 

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf