Subject: Re: Functional differentiation and administrative restructuring

From: [email-masked] (scott bradner)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 07:23:10 -0400 (EDT)

John sez:
> But, as far as I can tell, the "separate organization" model
> bets the entire survival of the IETF against a "nothing will go
> wrong" assumption. 

so far the people who are pushing for the "separate organization" model
have not come up with anything other than 'it would feel better' or
'the future may be different' as reasons

it seems to me that 
	1/ John is right - this is a 'bet the IETF' move
	2/ I'd need see some quite solid reasons to want to take the bet
	   so far I have not

Scott

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 15:01:04 +0200

> 	2/ I'd need see some quite solid reasons to want to take the bet

I'd call it a bet-the-IETF move either way.

if we move now to a separate support organization closely linked with ISOC, 
we bet the IETF that we can successfully establish and run this, and that 
the picture we present will cause people to continue to support us.

if we move to a support activity within ISOC, we bet that we our current 
confluence of interests will continue, that there will be no important 
conflicts between standards work and other ISOC work, and that ISOC will do 
the job well for the foreseeable future.
And that the picture of ISOC+IETF convinces people to continue to support 
us, of course.

One bet may be safer than the other. But neither is (IMHO) a sure thing.