Subject: Bad mailing list practice?

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:22:35 -0400

A public mailbox (accessible by anyone with an IMAP client) just received a 
mailman reminder about a subscription to this list. That message contained 
a clear-text password (actually several in this case). Whilst mailman does 
have an option for subscribers to turn off the password reminder I think it 
is bad practice to have that default to 'on' for new subscribers given that 
mailing lists are often piped into public archives.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: David Frascone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:45:07 -0500

Mailman passwords are always sent in the clear, and are considered to
be insecure.  I believe there was verbage about that when I got my
password.

Just my $.02 worth,

-Dave

-- 
David Frascone

    Professionals built the Titanic, amateurs built the ark.