Subject: anti-climatic odometer sighting

From: "Michael Richardson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:33:35 -0500

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

So, I noticed that RFC4003 was issued.
Wow, so we passed the 4000 mark.
I went to find out what rfc4000 was.
Aha... not yet issued.

That's kind of anti-climatic. Oh well.
Maybe 4096 will be more fun :-)

- -- 
] Michael Richardson          Xelerance Corporation, Ottawa, ON |  firewalls  [
] mcr @ xelerance.com           Now doing IPsec training, see   |net architect[
] http://www.sandelman.ca/mcr/    www.xelerance.com/training/   |device driver[
] panic("Just another Debian GNU/Linux using, kernel hacking, security guy"); [

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Greg Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:23:03 +1100

Hi Michael,

> Maybe 4096 will be more fun :-)

indeed:

10^3

Our first real milestone.

Greg

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:16:50 -0800

>>>>> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:33:35 -0500, "Michael Richardson" <[email-masked]> said:

Michael> So, I noticed that RFC4003 was issued.
Michael> Wow, so we passed the 4000 mark.
Michael> I went to find out what rfc4000 was.
Michael> Aha... not yet issued.

Michael> That's kind of anti-climatic. Oh well.
Michael> Maybe 4096 will be more fun :-)

I think you'd find that it's always reserved for listing purposes and
not for standards themselves.  Thus:

#  rfcfind -n 3.00
3000 Internet Official Protocol Standards. J. Reynolds, R. Braden, S.
     Ginoza, L. Shiota. November 2001. (Format: TXT=115207 bytes)
     (Obsoletes RFC2900) (Obsoleted by RFC3300) (Status: STANDARD)

3100 Not Issued.

3200 Not Issued.

3300 Internet Official Protocol Standards. J. Reynolds, R. Braden, S.
     Ginoza, A. De La Cruz. November 2002. (Format: TXT=127805 bytes)
     (Obsoletes RFC3000) (Obsoleted by RFC3600) (Status: STANDARD)

3400 Not Issued.

3500 Not Issued.

3600 Internet Official Protocol Standards. J. Reynolds, Ed., S.
     Ginoza, Ed.. November 2003. (Format: TXT=134338 bytes) (Obsoletes
     RFC3300) (Obsoleted by RFC3700) (Also STD0001) (Status: STANDARD)

3700 Internet Official Protocol Standards. J. Reynolds, Ed., S.
     Ginoza, Ed.. July 2004. (Format: TXT=148273 bytes) (Obsoletes
     RFC3600) (Also STD0001) (Status: STANDARD)

So if you want to look for something new in the 4000+ range, look at
4001 as being special.

-- 
Wes Hardaker
Sparta

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:34:18 -0800

>So if you want to look for something new in the 4000+ range, look at

It's not really a secret, so I'll spoil the ending: it's a MIB.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: "Randy.Dunlap" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:11:14 -0800

> not for standards themselves.  Thus:

Can anyone point me to this nice tool?  I googled for it and
found (only)  http://netnews.to/rfc/ , which isn't there....

-- 
~Randy