Subject: Re: WG Review: IPv6 over IEEE 802.15.4 (lowpan)

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 20:39:37 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, The IESG wrote:
> The required work includes items in the following (incomplete) list:
>
>     * IP adaptation/Packet Formats and interoperability
>     * Addressing schemes and address management
>     * Network management
>     * Routing in dynamically adaptive topologies
>     * Security, including set-up and maintenance
>     * Application programming interface
>     * Discovery (of devices, of services, etc)
>     * Implementation considerations
>
> Whereas at least some of the above items are within the purview of the
> IETF, at this point it is not clear that all of them are. Accordingly,
> the LoWPAN working group will address a reduced, more focused set of
> objectives.
>
> Scope of lowpan:
[...]
> Produce "Transmission of IPv6 Packets over IEEE 802.15.4 WPAN Networks"
> (draft-ietf-lowpan-ipv6-over-802.15.4-xx.txt) to define the basic packet
> formats and sub-IP adaptation  layer for transmission of IPv6 packets
> over IEEE 802.15.4. This includes framing, adaptation, header
> compression, address generation and a simple but sufficient mechanism
> for ad hoc routing based on AODV.

Is IPv4 packet encapsulation specifically out of scope?  Spell this 
out.  Do IEEE and the other communities agree with this approach? 
(Not that I would disagree -- just hoping that someone else doesn't go 
on to invent the v4 adaptation if the IETF doesn't do it..)

Where was the determination made that adhoc routing and AODV in 
particular is the best fit in these scenarios?  How is that relevant 
to the IPv6-over-layer2 adaptation?  Would AODV be extended to route 
based on layer2 addressing?  This seems to go out of scope of the main 
v6 over Lowpan spec.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:11:57 -0600

This may be a mindstoppingly stupid comment, but "LowPAN" isn't 
exactly a commonly-used term in my end of the swamp, and it wasn't 
defined on the WG Review announcement ("go read the drafts", I 
guess?). If you charter the WG, it would be lovely to define it on the 
WG home page...

Spencer