Subject: Re: Cerf and Kahn win the Turing Award

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:19:59 -0500 (EST)

Katie Hafner has a pretty good story on it in today's NYT, too:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/16/technology/16internet.html

Congratulations to Vint and Bob! I know they've both collected a lot of
honours already, but I hope this one from their CS peers will rank very highly
with them!

	Noel

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:57:47 -0800

Yes. Kudos to both of them.

At 10:19 AM 02/16/05 -0500, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>This message was passed through [email-masked], which 
>is a sublist of [email-masked]. Not all messages are passed. Decisions on 
>what to pass are made solely by IETF_CENSORED ML Administrator 
>([email-masked]).

---

From: "Jeffrey Race" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:24:27 +0700

>Yes. Kudos to both of them.

Another datapoint, from Yesterday's Spam-L:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Date:    Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:11:45 +0000
From:    Steve Linford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: MEDIA, LEGAL: (Send-safe) - Spammers outwit blacklist strategy
On 15 Feb 2005, at 17:10, /dev/rob0 wrote:

> It looks criminal to me.
>
> And yet ... send-safe.com is still online ... paypal.com is accepting
> payments for them ... nothing is done. (No, I'm not surprised.)
>
> Sure, the send-safe bastard is safe in Russia, but both MCI and Paypal
> are operating in the USA.

MCI, right up to Vint Cerf, are insisting that Send Safe is just 
ordinary software with no illegal features, and that it "could" be used 
for spamming only in the way a crowbar could be used for breaking and 
entering, or an innocent tobacco pipe could used for smoking dope. Our 
reply to these analogies is that if you sell pipes specifically 
designed for use with marijuana, with features only for marijuana use, 
and the pipe is designed to contact the pusher and download the 
marijuana into it's bowl, and designed to hijack innocent people 
(proxies) to pass the marijuana smoke through before inhaling to 
implicate them, while anonymising the smoker from the police by 
rotating the smoker's name, and even comes packaged with lists of 
innocent people pre-infected to be used for this purpose, you can bet 
you're going to jail.

I reminded Vint Cerf of his "spam is bad for the net" quote displayed 
on the CAUCE site, and asked for his help in getting the MCI spamware 
issue solved. He said he'd look into it, but got back to me saying the 
1st Amendment made MCI not terminate spamware vendors no matter how 
illegal... so I gave him a link to the LINX BCP document and quoted the 
LINX text to him, he replied that the LINX BCP document was "probably 
illegal" in the USA (and hence MCI was ignoring it). Basically, MCI is 
trying every excuse under the sun to keep Send Safe and the many spam 
gangs they're servicing.

MCI says Send Safe is not the MCI customer, their customer 'MTI' is an 
"ISP" who is in turn reselling to Send Safe and it's therefore out of 
their control. They know perfectly well (and are lying to the press 
that they don't) that ROKSO-listed MTI is Rusty Campbell's 
(DesktopServer) spamware outfit, not an ISP by any stretch of 
imagination, and that ISPs don't normally have only 6 IPs, and that the 
Send Safe website is directly on the end of the MCI line, one IP away 
from Rusty's router.

John St. Clair and the rest of the 'abuse' droids at MCI have known 
perfectly well for over a year that MTI's sole business is spamming and 
that the sole things hosted on Rusty Campbell's web server at 
65.210.168.34 are 25 web sites, which are:

1	0-BULKEMAIL.COM.
2	ADOGWITHOUTWARNING.COM.
3	AMAZING-BULK-EMAIL.COM.
4	AMAZINGBULKEMAIL.COM.
5	BULK-EMAIL-WORLDWIDE.COM.
6	BULKEMAILREVIEW.COM.
7	BULKEMAILREVIEWS.COM.
8	DESKTOP-SERVER.COM.
9	DESKTOPSERVER.BIZ.
10	DESKTOPSERVER.COM.
11	DESKTOPSERVERPRO.COM.
12	DESKTOPSERVERSALES.COM.
13	DESKTOPSERVERSHOP.COM.
14	EASYBIZ.COM.
15	EMAILBROADCASTER.COM.
16	EMAILEMAILEMAIL.COM.
17	EMAILTOOLS.COM.
18	MONEYFUN.COM.
19	MTICD.COM.
20	MTIDEALER.COM.
21	MTIHELP.COM.
22	MTILAB.NET.
23	MTISOFTWARE.COM.
24	SEND-SAFE.COM.
25	THEINTERNETBIZ.COM.

MCI says these are all normal customers of the "ISP" Rusty Campbell who 
just happens to be the author of DesktopServer and to MCI it's all good 
paying business and nobody's going to stop them, least of all those 
darn anti-spammers.

Amazingly, in 2003 we had kicked Send-safe.com off 4 Chinese 
"bullet-proof hosts" before they found safe haven at MCI in the US. MCI 
makes even the worst Chinese network look clean.

   Steve Linford
   The Spamhaus Project
   http://www.spamhaus.org

-- 
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.7 - Release Date: 2/10/2005