Subject: why optical developments since 2001 are bad news for Carriers

From: Gordon Cook <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:29:21 -0500

I have written some material that I think will be of interest to list 
members.  While layer three is great there is a whole new world 
building out there at layer one and two with cheap user rolled 
optical nets. This new world will I believe affect IP and IP routing 
in important ways. 

Optical Revolution Increases Obsolescence of Legacy Carrier Networks

Highly Efficient Layer One and Two Optical Networks Will Spell End of 
the Road for ATT, Sprint & MCI in Their Current Form

  Intelligent Acquisition Could Lead to Quick Write Offs of Obsolete Equipment
  & Result in Modernization of "Telco" Infrastructure

An examination of the infrastructure of the leading optical research 
networks (SURFnet 6, CA*Net4, and TransLight) shows that we may well 
be headed towards optical networks owned, built, and operated by 
enterprises and other large entities that are sources of, and/or, 
sinks for data, with the public Internet and carrier backbone 
networks merely acting as inter-connecting vehicles for private bit 
carriage.

  We examine the emergence of new enterprise-owned and -operated 
networks. These will be composed of hybrid networks that, for certain 
Quality of Service and security-mandated applications set up 
lightpaths, when needed, and then tear them down. Best-effort Layer 3 
IP services for email and web browsing will utilize a separate 
allocation of bandwidth elsewhere within the optical spectrum of 
physical glass. This new enterprise-owned optical network is likely 
to be one that could switch lightpaths back and forth on an as-needed 
basis sending payloads over dedicated lightpaths where appropriate 
and needed, while best-effort routing continues to function on its 
own over intranet or Internet routes, thus filling in the gaps 
between highly mission-critical and business-as-usual applications. 
For independent verification of our basic conclusions see Dark fiber: 
Businesses see the light.
http://news.com.com/Dark+fiber+Businesses+see+the+light/2100-1037_3-5557910.html?tag=nefd.lede

For complete Introduction and Executive Summary and Table of contents see
http://cookreport.com/14.01.shtml

-- 
=============================================================
The COOK Report on Internet Protocol, 431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA
609 882-2572 (PSTN) 415 651-4147 (Lingo) [email-masked] Subscription
info: http://cookreport.com/subscriptions.shtml New report: Optical 
Research Net-
works and an Enterprise Networks Revolution at: 
http://cookreport.com/14.01.shtml 
=============================================================

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf