Subject: Re: MARID back from the grave?

From: kw2578 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:41:50 +0200 (EET)

Graham,

You are right. WG dtafts have a  more official standing iin the IETF, they will, most likely, become an RFC. Individual drafts have no assurance, and most do not. 

John

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:18:57 -0500

> Graham,
> 
> You are right. WG dtafts have a more official standing iin the IETF,
> they will, most likely, become an RFC. 

I hope not.  When a WG agrees to consider a draft it should not be taken
as an assurance that the draft will be published as an RFC.  Too many
WGs work far beyond their chartered deadlines because they haven't 
finished all of their working drafts - often because those drafts turned
out to be bad ideas or not sufficiently well-understood or robust to 
warrant standardization (or sometimes, even publication).

Keith