

publishes.<br><br>
The RFC series just happens to be the current (and historical) channel
for getting internet standards published.&nbsp; If the IAB decided to go
another direction (e.g. new organization for hire) it's unclear the RFC
name would follow the internet standards to the new
organization.<br><br>
The document should be re-written to take the above into
account.<br><br>
The RFC series is and always has been wider than just what the IETF (IAB,
IESG, IRTF etc) has in mind.&nbsp; It's independence from those bodies
has been key to avoid some pretty large misteps in the past and has been
key to getting the broader community involved.&nbsp; It's hubris (and
somewhat of a landgrab) to declare after all this time that &quot;<br>
<pre>Consistent with the rest of the streams, there needs to be a
&nbsp;&nbsp; community consensus document to define that [independent
submission] process.&nbsp; The IAB will
&nbsp;&nbsp; establish a community forum for defining a community
consensus based
&nbsp;&nbsp; document to define the approval process for this
stream.&nbsp; The IAB
&nbsp;&nbsp; will be responsible for gauging consensus on that document,
as well
&nbsp;&nbsp; as providing the forum for any needed future revisions of
the
&nbsp;&nbsp; document.&quot;

</pre>I believe the RFC editor continues to be well equipped to handle
independent submissions and to set their own process consistent with  the
best interests of the community.&nbsp; <br><br>
E.g. the IAB should keep its hands off the independent submission process
at least with this &quot;channel&quot;<br><br>
Mike<br><br>
<br>
At 11:35 AM 5/30/2006, Eliot Lear wrote:<br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite="">Sam,<br><br>
&gt; However there needs to be a way for a member of this<br>
&gt; community--whatever it is--to make a proposal, to get enough
support,<br>
&gt; and to have that proposal be adopted.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I.E. it is fine if the IAB of whomever can do a lot of things on
their<br>
&gt; own.&nbsp; However the community needs the ability to either guide
the IAB<br>
&gt; or override the IAB if there is disagreement.<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br><br>
I disagree.&nbsp; Just as I expect you to use your judgment on the IESG
I<br>
expect the IAB to use their judgment.&nbsp; Community oversight comes in
the<br>
form of the NOMCOM.&nbsp; If you believe that oversight is not
effective,<br>
then let's discuss that instead.<br><br>
Eliot<br><br>
_______________________________________________<br>
Ietf mailing list<br>
[email-masked]<br>
<a href="https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf" eudora="autourl">
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf</a></blockquote></body>
<br>
</html>

--=====================_1101884926==.ALT--

--===============0114024198==
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

--===============0114024198==--