Subject: RE: IETF66 - Recommendations for travel from airport to hotels?

From: "Nelson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 11:07:57 -0400

> Aerobus shuttle bus service runs from the downtown bus 
> terminal (514-842-2281) with several stops before taking
> the highway. Fares are lower than taxis: $12 to or from
> Trudeau.

And from the bus terminal to the hotel?  Presumably taxi or city bus?
Any other alternatives?

Are they any shuttle busses from the airport that make stops at the
downtown hotels?

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Yangwoo Ko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 01:32:22 +0900

Why not just googling?

I entered aerobus and montreal at Google, and found
the following link.

http://www.admtl.com/passenger_services.aspx?id=48

If this is correct, the aerobus takes us to "a few"
points in downtown from which we can take free shuttle
to "hotels".

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 00:15:42 +0100

Airport shuttles:
Unfortunately the Delta doesn't seem to qualify for a free shuttle.  The
nearest is probably the Queen Elizabeth (900 boulevard Rene-levesque
Ouest) which is about 0.25 mile from the Delta..

Alternatives include riding to the central bus station and taking the
metro (Orange Line, direction Cote Vertu) three stops from the metro
station at Berri-UQAM (under the bus station) to Square Victoria - this
station has an exit either in or right in front of the Delta. (Place
D'Armes will be better for the hotels closer to the Palais des Congres)

Shuttles run approx every 25-35 minutes and are scheduled to take about
40 minutes.

BTW for the seriously lazy, the Palais des Congres is on top of the
Place D'Armes metro stop which is one stop back towards the central bus
station from Square Victoria

There are regional commuter trains out to Dorval but the service is
seriously sparse at the weekend and just as bad outside of early morning
inbound and evening rush hour outbound.  Forget it.

Fares:
Airport shuttle - one way 13 CAD, return 22.75 CAD
Metro: per trip any distance (I assume): 2.50 CAD single trip, 11.50 CAD
for a six trip card, one day and three day tourist passes available.
Tickets sold at stations or on buses (on buses exact change only)

Handy links:
Airport shuttle bus: http://www.autobus.qc.ca/anglais/aeroportuaire_an.html
Useful handily zoomable map of the centre of Montreal (probably the best
online city map I have ever seen!):
http://www.stcum.qc.ca/English/info/centre-ville2006.pdf
The whole city map is much bigger but equally good:
http://www.stcum.qc.ca/English/info/reseau2006.pdf
Metro map: http://www.stcum.qc.ca/English/metro/a-mapmet.htm - click on
any station for local info including a large scale map with station
entrance/exit points marked.
Bus/metro fares: http://www.stcum.qc.ca/English/info/a-tarif.htm
Montreal transport home page: http://www.stcum.qc.ca/English/a-somm.htm

Regards,
Elwyn

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 23:52:01 +0100

Fares:

Handy links:

Regards,
Elwyn

Yangwoo Ko wrote:
>>> Aerobus shuttle bus service runs from the downtown bus terminal 
>>> (514-842-2281) with several stops before taking

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 08:08:24 +0100

Minor clarification in case your ethics are troubling you...

> Ouest) which is about 0.25 mile from the Delta..
This doesn't involve taking a second 'free' shuttle as the main, 
paid-for, shuttle stops here on the way to the central bus station.
> Airport shuttle bus: 
> http://www.autobus.qc.ca/anglais/aeroportuaire_an.html

---

From: Matt Mathis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 15:24:18 -0400 (EDT)

I'm thinking I'll wear an IETF T-shirt, and plan to loiter near the taxi stand
for a few moments.  Given O(1000) people arriving Sunday, I bet it will take
no more than a few minutes to fill a cab.

Thanks,
--MM--

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 22:29:16 -0400

> paid-for, shuttle stops here on the way to the central bus station.

After spending nearly an entire day in airport lounges and in the air  
I may not have been operating at peak efficiency, but I must say that  
the ground transportation situation at the Montreal airport is about  
as bad as it gets. There are no clues to be had for the traveller who  
didn't plan ahead in great detail, so I ended up taking a cab, which  
is so popular that you have to wait in line for one.

Good thing some British pounds I had laying around go a long way  
towards purchasing Canadian dollars (that have the same queen on  
them). There is a fixed airport - city rate of $35.

If and when the IETF finally returns to Holland everyone can enjoy  
the advantages of having a train station with regular and cheap  
connections in all directions right under the arrivals hall.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 14:28:28 -0400

I took a cab. fixed price, $35 Canadian, gets you there no muss no fuss.

On Jul 7, 2006, at 10:29 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> After spending nearly an entire day in airport lounges and in the  
> air I may not have been operating at peak efficiency, but I must  
> say that the ground transportation situation at the Montreal  
> airport is about as bad as it gets. There are no clues to be had  
> for the traveller who didn't plan ahead in great detail, so I ended  
> up taking a cab, which is so popular that you have to wait in line  
> for one.
>