Subject: RE: The IETF 66 Attendees Alias

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 15:07:46 -0700

At 10:08 AM -0700 7/12/06, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

>  How about this:
>
>  Use the same mailing list. The secretariat marks important messages 
> as important via the header flag customarily used for this purpose.
>
>  Set the mailing list to strip out important/urgent flag on messages 
> from anyone else.
>
>  This means that my existing email config still works and I don't 
> have to mess with it which would be rather painful given that I 
> have email pagers and other stuff connected through it.

The 'Importance' header may be useful in your environment, but in 
many others it is useless.  I'd much prefer segregation of traffic by 
'List-ID' rather than 'Importance'.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
>From new transmitters came the old stupidities.
             --Bertolt Brecht

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 02:06:18 -0400

On Wednesday, July 12, 2006 03:07:46 PM -0700 Randall Gellens 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> The 'Importance' header may be useful in your environment, but in many
> others it is useless.  I'd much prefer segregation of traffic by

Also, there is something to be said for cutting down on bandwidth usage by 
not even transmitting the "discussion" messages to people who haven't 
subscribed to that list.

Of course, I expect Phill to be firmly in the camp that says there's so 
much bandwidth to go around these days that we needn't worry about being 
wasteful.  Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised.

-- Jeff