Subject: MLTF meeting before IGF

From: Jefsey_Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 04:38:56 +0200

The MLTF project (Multilingual Internet Technical Forum) was 
initiated two years ago. It was delayed by the debate regarding the 
IANA Language Subtags and Extensions Registries. During that time, 
meetings were held in Versailles in order to guide an 
interoperability and innovation protection strategy. Today, the RFC 
4646 has been published which matches our requirements and should 
support the IETF internationalization plane (however, its 
implementation still calls for attention).

The MLTF core can now resume its endeavour towards the 
standardisation, development, documentation, testing, and industrial 
deployment assistance that was called for by the IGF for the 
multilingualisation of the Internet and the entire digital ecosystem. 
It was introduced at the ITU/UNESCO joint meeting in Geneva, and 
discussed at the ISOC EGENI meeting in Paris. It is one of the 
substantive contributions to the Athens IGF meeting 
<http://intgovforum.org/Substantive_1st_IGF/e-mdrs-intro.pdf>http://intgovforum.org/Substantive_1st_IGF/e-mdrs-intro.pdf.

An MLTF concertation meeting will be held in Versailles on 5 October 
2006 and pursued in Athens (before the 1 November 2006 session). To 
attend the first meeting at the invitation of the Versailles Chamber 
of Commerce you must be registered for security reasons. A 
preparatory mailing list has been set-up that you can join by sending 
a mail to [email-masked]. You will find information about this meeting 
at <http://mltf.org/>http://mltf.org. Some of the key international 
technical partners of the Multilingual Internet governance will 
attend or will be represented.

Several IETF Drafts for information will be discussed concerning the 
languages e-empowerment path, the multilingualisation of the 
Internet, a united model for the multilingual, multitechnology 
digital ecosystem, the place of the Internet in this model, the 
relations with its SSDOs and the interest of the proposition of an 
IETF WG-Multilingualisation for the IETF techhnology aspects. The 
organisation of the MLTF, the preparation of a Spring 2007 meeting, 
and the economic model, analysis, development, testing, ontology 
constitution, gathering, and maintenance, deployment of a 
multilingual distributed referential system (MDRS) are all on the agenda.

The priority is to permit ISO 11179 conformant crosswalk 
interoperability with the IANA registries - once they have stabilised 
- as well as with the other Language codes, standards, and services. 
This should be achieved through the MDRS langroot.

jfc  
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 20:56:13 -0700

Note that the information below pertains to a meeting which is not sponsored
by or endorsed by the IETF.   Participants should understand that the discussion
of an Internet-Draft or a potential proposal for a later IETF working group does
not imply that the IETF IPR policies, Note Well, appeal procedures, or other
mechanisms apply to the discussion or the meeting.

There is ongoing work in the IETF in this area, in the LTRU working group
(see http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html ).  
			
				Ted Hardie

At 4:38 AM +0200 10/3/06, Jefsey_Morfin wrote:
>The MLTF project (Multilingual Internet Technical Forum) was initiated two years ago. It was delayed by the debate regarding the IANA Language Subtags and Extensions Registries. During that time, meetings were held in Versailles in order to guide an interoperability and innovation protection strategy. Today, the RFC 4646 has been published which matches our requirements and should support the IETF internationalization plane (however, its implementation still calls for attention).
>
>The MLTF core can now resume its endeavour towards the standardisation, development, documentation, testing, and industrial deployment assistance that was called for by the IGF for the multilingualisation of the Internet and the entire digital ecosystem. It was introduced at the ITU/UNESCO joint meeting in Geneva, and discussed at the ISOC EGENI meeting in Paris. It is one of the substantive contributions to the Athens IGF meeting <http://intgovforum.org/Substantive_1st_IGF/e-mdrs-intro.pdf> http://intgovforum.org/Substantive_1st_IGF/e-mdrs-intro.pdf .
>
>An MLTF concertation meeting will be held in Versailles on 5 October 2006 and pursued in Athens (before the 1 November 2006 session). To attend the first meeting at the invitation of the Versailles Chamber of Commerce you must be registered for security reasons. A preparatory mailing list has been set-up that you can join by sending a mail to [email-masked]. You will find information about this meeting at <http://mltf.org/> http://mltf.org. Some of the key international technical partners of the Multilingual Internet governance will attend or will be represented.
>
>Several IETF Drafts for information will be discussed concerning the languages e-empowerment path, the multilingualisation of the Internet, a united model for the multilingual, multitechnology digital ecosystem, the place of the Internet in this model, the relations with its SSDOs and the interest of the proposition of an IETF WG-Multilingualisation for the IETF techhnology aspects. The organisation of the MLTF, the preparation of a Spring 2007 meeting, and the economic model, analysis, development, testing, ontology constitution, gathering, and maintenance, deployment of a multilingual distributed referential system (MDRS) are all on the agenda.
>
>The priority is to permit ISO 11179 conformant crosswalk interoperability with the IANA registries - once they have stabilised - as well as with the other Language codes, standards, and services. This should be achieved through the MDRS langroot.
>
>jfc 
>

---

From: Jefsey_Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 10:39:02 +0200

Dear Ted,
thank you for this. I should have added this note myself.

>mechanisms apply to the discussion or the meeting.

Correct. This mail was sent for information.

>(see http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html ).

Interoperability with the WG-LTRU deliverables as well as with other 
standadization deliverables and processes, and with RFC 4690 
suggestions is a priority. I obtained that RFC 4646 was eventually 
shaped according to that need. Yet, it is still to be enforced by the 
IETF (I also still wait for the promised expedited IESG response to 
the RFC 4647 appeal).

jfc

> standardisation, development, documentation, testing, and 
> industrial deployment assistance that was called for by the IGF for 
> the multilingualisation of the Internet and the entire digital 
> ecosystem. It was introduced at the ITU/UNESCO joint meeting in 
> Geneva, and discussed at the ISOC EGENI meeting in Paris. It is one 
> of the substantive contributions to the Athens IGF meeting 
> <http://intgovforum.org/Substantive_1st_IGF/e-mdrs-intro.pdf> 
> http://intgovforum.org/Substantive_1st_IGF/e-mdrs-intro.pdf .
> >
> >An MLTF concertation meeting will be held in Versailles on 5 
> October 2006 and pursued in Athens (before the 1 November 2006 
> session). To attend the first meeting at the invitation of the 
> Versailles Chamber of Commerce you must be registered for security 
> reasons. A preparatory mailing list has been set-up that you can 
> join by sending a mail to [email-masked]. You will find information 
> about this meeting at <http://mltf.org/> http://mltf.org. Some of 
> the key international technical partners of the Multilingual 
> Internet governance will attend or will be represented.
> >
> >Several IETF Drafts for information will be discussed concerning 
> the languages e-empowerment path, the multilingualisation of the 
> interoperability with the IANA registries - once they have 
> stabilised - as well as with the other Language codes, standards, 
> and services. This should be achieved through the MDRS langroot.
> >
> >jfc
> >

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 01:40:27 -0700

> (see http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html ).  
If anyone discovers evidence that there is another person participating 
in the MLTF apart from Jefsey, that would be interesting..... so far, 
all the evidence I've seen seems to indicate that it's an one-man show.

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 08:07:15 -0400

--On Monday, 02 October, 2006 20:56 -0700 Ted Hardie
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Note that the information below pertains to a meeting which is
> not sponsored by or endorsed by the IETF.   Participants
> should understand that the discussion of an Internet-Draft or
> a potential proposal for a later IETF working group does not
> imply that the IETF IPR policies, Note Well, appeal
> procedures, or other mechanisms apply to the discussion or the
> meeting.
> 
> There is ongoing work in the IETF in this area, in the LTRU
> working group (see
> http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html ).  

To carry this one step further, my recollection is that the AUP
for the IETF list prohibits non-IETF meeting announcements and
other advertising.   Sergeants at arms, please take note.

     john

---

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 08:28:35 -0400

> other advertising.   Sergeants at arms, please take note.

Noted, and since there is a PR-action active against Mr. Morfin, and
since this is a clear violation of RFC 3005:

>Inappropriate postings include:
>
>    - Announcements of conferences, events, or activities that are not
>      sponsored or endorsed by the Internet Society or IETF.

.... Mr. Morfin will be banned from posting to the IETF list under the
auspices of RFC 3683.

						- Ted