Subject: RFC Compliance Certification Authority?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 07:19:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I'm wondering if someone can refer me to any organizations/businesses that
can provide an independent review of software for verification &
validation of RFC compliance? I've seen a couple older threads on this
mailing list that suggest they don't exist, and that only occasionally one
may find some interoperability tests available through the Working Group
that published a particular RFC. Just looking for some clarification.

Thank you,
-Len Marinis

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:40:21 +0200

> that published a particular RFC. Just looking for some clarification.

Len,

The IETF is not in the validation business, indeed. I'm not aware of
any generic answer to your question, but there are interop testing
events or certification mechanisms for some protocols, quite
independent of the IETF. You just have to find them case by case.

You can find IETF implementation reports, when they exist,
at http://www.ietf.org/IESG/implementation.html. Please
read the disclaimer at the top of that page.

    Brian Carpenter
    IETF Chair

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:12:19 +0200

[email-masked] wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I'm wondering if someone can refer me to any organizations/businesses
>  that can provide an independent review of software for verification 
> & validation of RFC compliance?

I have never seen such an activity covering the entire set of IETF RFCs.
  It should be huge if it ever existed.

> I've seen a couple older threads on this mailing list that suggest 
> they don't exist, and that only occasionally one may find some 
> interoperability tests available through the Working Group that 
> published a particular RFC. Just looking for some clarification.

Recently in the NEMO Working Group there is discussion about how to make
the "IPv6-Ready Logo" be inline with the particular RFC that describes
NEMOv6.

IPv6 Ready Logo is a program of the IPv6 Forum.  I think they try to
cover all that's IPv6.

Other times an RFC may describe a particular implementation of an
encryption algorithm for IP messages, itself being designed outside
IETF, and for which some independent validations may exist.

Yet other times a particular RFC describes what's the outputs that
should correspond to the inputs of a particular authentication algorithm
  - enough of validation per se.

Alex

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:22:12 +0200

On Oct 18, 2006, at 16:19, <[email-masked]> <jax871- 
[email-masked]> wrote:
> validation of RFC compliance?

The TAHI project provides verification for IPv6-related protocols:  
http://www.tahi.org/

Lars
-- 
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories