Subject: legal issue of RFC3619

From: Bill Su <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:06:11 +0800

Hi,

We are implementing an Ethernet protection ring. Then we found there is 
an information RFC3619.
It is submitted by Extreme network and its IPR is protected by the 
company too. We also found there are
some patents filed by Extreme. In addition to EAPS, we also found there 
is MRP from Foundry, EPSR from
Allied Telesyn, ERP from Siemens. They are all like the same. Isn't it 
legal violation? We tried to contact
Extreme before. But there is no concrete response on the licensing 
process. Any comment is welcome.
Thanks.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 07:12:36 +0200

Bill,

The IETF stays strictly out of such discussions. It is entirely
up to each implementor to decide whether or not the claimed IPR is
valid and to make arrangements with the IPR owners if so.

Please see RFC 3979 for more details, and see
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_disclosure.cgi
for all current disclosures to the IETF.

Sorry but this is something your company has to resolve
for itself.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter
IETF Chair

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:36:52 +0200

Note that RFC 3619 is a document published for the information of the 
Internet community, via the RFC Editor, and not as part of the IETF 
standards process; I don't believe that the IETF makes any requirement 
on patent disclosure on such documents.

That said, it is nice that Extreme has disclosed the existence of its 
IPR appliction, and it would be nice if the others would do so too. More 
information that is useful for the Internet community.

                         Harald

Bill Su wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are implementing an Ethernet protection ring. Then we found there 
> is an information RFC3619.
> some patents filed by Extreme. In addition to EAPS, we also found 
> there is MRP from Foundry, EPSR from

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:29:44 +0200

> on patent disclosure on such documents.

Well, any I-D that contains the required boilerplate reference to
BCP 79 has subjected itself to the disclosure requirement.

    Brian