Subject: Proceeding CDs

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 18:35:15 -0400

The IAOC is preparing the 2007 budget and would like feedback on whether
or not to continue producing the IETF meeting CDs of the Proceedings.

It has been suggested as a way of employing limited Secretariat labor
more productively that the IAOC discontinue production of the Proceedings
on CDs and, instead, make the files available collectively on the web site
for each meeting in a zip file for downloading.  

Is there strong rationale for maintaining production of the CDs?

Ray Pelletier
IAD

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 18:54:55 +0200

> Is there strong rationale for maintaining production of the CDs?

No opinion - but on a related issue:  Some slide shows are very
interesting, and the HTML output of Powerpoint is *_MUCH_* better
than huge PDFs.

Frank

---

From: shogunx <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 13:01:23 -0400 (EDT)

> for each meeting in a zip file for downloading.

If you do so, make sure there is at least a tar.gz also.

> Is there strong rationale for maintaining production of the CDs?

sleekfreak pirate broadcast
http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81/

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 13:13:10 -0400

Does anyone know of
any libraries that attempt to acquire / archive a complete set of  
IETF proceedings ?

They might not read this list and should be contacted directly in my  
opinion.

Regards
Marshall

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 10:57:33 -0700

> Is there strong rationale for maintaining production of the CDs?

No.
IMO, free online retrieval of IETF proceedings is sufficient.
Spend the time and money on something more important.

My 2 cents on data format:

If I really wanted to have a CD of the proceedings,
then I would want to retrieve a .iso file from the archive.

(Moving from the Print Era to the Electronic Age is hard...
I just recycled my collection of paper IETF proceedings a year ago.
I bet some of you still have every one!)

> IAD

Andy

---

From: "Michael C. StJohns" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:13:51 -0400

>then I would want to retrieve a .iso file from the archive.

Actually, I *like* this option a lot.

I don't see any reason to continue to produce the CDs, but I do see a 
need for a permanent archival form and having an ISO I could download 
and burn (or mount for that matter) makes a lot of sense.

Mike

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 22:56:51 +0000

> Is there strong rationale for maintaining production of the CDs?

	 i've been told that it is often useful to have a token of 
	the money that was spent. and for some, the hardcopy proceedings
	filled the bill nicely.  The CD, while not quite the same impact
	for mgmt, does provide a tangible token of participation.
	Remove that, and the question might be asked? "What do we get for
	our money?"  more often.

--bill

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 22:56:51 +0000

--bill

---

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 16:39:05 -0700

> 	Remove that, and the question might be asked? "What do we get for

Are you suggesting that proceeding CD's are actually a valid answer
to this question, or that people should merely be convinced to ask
this question less frequently by any means available other than
actually providing answers?

-- 
ISC Training!  October 16-20, 2006, in the San Francisco Bay Area,
covering topics from DNS to DDNS & DHCP.  Email [email-masked].
-- 
David W. Hankins	"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer		you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.	-- Jack T. Hankins
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 10:15:01 +0200

> 	Remove that, and the question might be asked? "What do we get for

the T-shirt, of course :-)

Lars
-- 
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 22:24:32 -0700

To be honest, if the corporate sponsor doesn't know the answer to  
that level of question, they fundamentally don't get it. I have left  
companies over that level of disconnectedness before, and they in  
each case (note the plural) have departed from the industry not far  
behind.

---

From: "Tom.Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:07:04 +0200

CDs of Proceedings always seemed like an excellent idea but:
 - sometimes they never arrived
 - I cannot ever recall them arriving in good time, that is closer to the time
of the meeting they relate to than to that of the next meeting.

Tom Petch