Subject: Suggestion for IETF Critical Infrastructrei WG.

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 09:40:56 -0700

I also have a suggestion for a WG and while I don't think its a Security
Area WG model, it is one that would use some Security WG's work-product.
That is a Critical Infrastructure WG. One specific to BCP's and Operating
Guidelines for CI and its protection.

The Charter would enable the CI WG to use components of any and all IETF
WG's and external Standards bodies and their works to create
common-and -open models for the practices of protecting the Critical
Infrastructure.

Any commentary?

Todd Glassey

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:03:54 -0400

> Any commentary?

I'll give you the standard answer. Take a look at
draft-narten-successful-bof-01.txt and start building up support the
old fashioned way. I.e., write a clear problem statement, get other
people who agree with you to collaborate, set up a mailing list, etc.

Thomas

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 21:24:37 +0200

> Any commentary?

For me it sounds like a proposal to reinvent the IAB as WG.
Some draft-iab-whatever and resulting RFCs like 4690 are
quite interesting, examples:

draft-iab-auth-mech-05
draft-iab-dns-choices-03
draft-iab-dos-05
draft-iab-messaging-report-01

That they tolerated the simultaneous SHOULD NOT vs. SHOULD
"experiments" with critical e-mail was a counter-example.

Frank

---

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 12:45:21 -0700

So then Frank -  this is an opportunity to not only correct that, but also
to create a CI nexus which would be a good thing for the IETF to focus on I
think.

At least from a Business Development venue, it seems to offer a whole
possibility of a new CI Area in the IETF as well.  That would mean a new AD
and a new seat for the IESG as well as probably a bunch of WG's  which would
popup to address standardization of many things that governments of the
World are frantically trying to accomplish now.

t