Subject: rejection of patents and standards

From: [email-masked] (Karl Berry)
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 16:47:08 -0500

I ask you to reject
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/tls/draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07.txt
from the experimental track, as it was rejected on the official track.
A standard that can only be implemented with permission of and payment
to a software patent holder is no standard at all.

As you know so well, software patents have no place in public standards.

Thank you for the chance to comment, and all your efforts!

Karl Berry (programmer)

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 11:28:42 -0400

Hate to say it, but the Subject says it all:

If you reject *any* standard that infringes on *any* patent, you will be
rejecting *standards*.

PLEASE talk to a real lawyer before playing one.  Just about everything
dealing with communications and computing has *some* encumbrance.

Since it is expired, it is safe to talk about this example:

You invent a really great voice coding algorithm.  It is a huge improvement
to, but based on, PCM.  Guess what - that violates the original PCM patent.

Substitute PCM for most any basic technology, and you will most likely be
disappointed to see someone has a lock on it.

Is this a good thing?  Probably not.

Is it right?  Probably not.

Does it promote new technologies?  May or may not.

Is it the law?  Most definitely, now world-wide given the U.S. is now more
harmonized with the rest of the world.

As we say in the IETF when someone raises an objection: Please write text.

If you do not like the encumbered technology in the Housely draft, please
submit a draft that you are willing to indemnify to us is not encumbered.

If one cannot do something positive, please figure out a way to do something
positive.  Leaving us without a protocol to do this function is not
positive.

Thanks.

> Thank you for the chance to comment, and all your efforts!

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.