Subject: Please reject proprietary standards.

From: "Ismael Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:34:23 CDT

Best IETF,

In response to the recent TLS submission, I would like to ask you sincerely to reject at all levels any standard which relies on proprietary or otherwise commercially-based technologies.  Thank you very much for your consideration.

Best regards,

Ismael Fal
[email-masked]
http://ismaeljones.tusojos.com/

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Obtén el correo electrónico que estabas buscando, GRATIS !.
Ejemplos: [email-masked], [email-masked],
[email-masked], [email-masked]
Tu e-mail será: fácil de recordar, profesional y te representará.
Ingresa a www.tusojos.com y subscríbete hoy mismo.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 21:33:05 +0200

--On 19. oktober 2007 17:34 -0500 Ismael Jones <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> Best IETF,
>
> In response to the recent TLS submission, I would like to ask you
> sincerely to reject at all levels any standard which relies on
> proprietary or otherwise commercially-based technologies.  Thank you very
> much for your consideration.

Dear letter-sender,

I am happy to invite you to sign up to the IETF list (or the IETF's IPR WG 
list) in order to discuss these matters.

It should be entertaining to read your detailed definition of 
"commercially-based technologies", since this is a term I have not heard 
before, and where my intuitive understanding of the term HAS to be wrong, 
since it would argue against standardization of such non-IETF technologies 
as Ethernet, electrical sockets, the CD record and the threads of screws. 
Just to mention a few examples of non-IETF standards; I'll let 
identification of relevant IETF standards that are "commercially-based" 
wait until I hear your definition of the term.

Regards,

            Harald Alvestrand, chair of the IETF IPR WG