Subject: please REJECT tls-authz until it is patent-free!

From: Chris MacGregor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 09:56:13 -0700

Hello,

As a software engineering professional, I have experienced first-hand 
the harm done by patents on software.

I ask that you please REJECT any proposed standard (including those 
vying merely for "experimental" or "informational" status) which is 
encumbered by patents.  (If the patent is made available for free use by 
anyone, with no restrictions, registration, payment, or further 
licensing, then that is fine - it is effectively the same, for this 
purpose, as if the technique was not patented.)

There is no benefit to consumers, users, corporations, the software 
industry or art, or in fact anyone except the patent holder, when a 
standard is made to include patented techniques which must be licensed.  
It is the responsibility of a respected standards organization to resist 
pressure from those who seek to subvert the standardization processes 
for their own financial gain at the expense of EVERYONE else.

Therefore, please DO NOT allow the patent-encumbered TLS-authz extension 
to become even an experimental or informational standard - please REJECT 
it outright, unless and until it is made completely free (in all senses).

Thank you,
    Chris MacGregor
    Senior Software Engineer
    [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf