Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-unicode-escapes (ASCII Escaping of Unicode Characters) to BCP

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 08:47:15 +0000

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 02:44:02PM -0400,
 The IESG <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 24 lines which said:

> The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider 
> the following document:
> 
> - 'ASCII Escaping of Unicode Characters '
>    <draft-klensin-unicode-escapes-06.txt> as a BCP

For those unfamiliar with the issues, do note that the document has a
small applicability realm. Most IETF protocols can handle Unicode in
one of its main encodings such as UTF-8. And discussing Unicode in
texts intended for human consumption is already done with the U+nnnn
standard notation.

What this document covers is the needs of some protocols / formats who
cannot handle a standard Unicode encoding. They are not many. A
typical example is RFC 4646 for its registry. (4646bis, under work,
will no longer need it.)

So, no need for lengthy flames :-) This is a proposal to handle the
last few non-fully-Unicode corners of the Internet world.

As so, I support this document, I find it useful, I've reviewed it and 
and I find it reaches a reasonable balance between being too normative
(forcing one and only one ASCII escape method) and being not enough
normative (just documenting different methods, without giving
indications to protocol / format authors about the best choices).

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Frank Ellermann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 14:13:37 +0200

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> A typical example is RFC 4646 for its registry. (4646bis, under
> work, will no longer need it.)

s/will/might/ until the Chairs dare claim "rough consensus"...

> So, no need for lengthy flames :-)

...I kept it short ;-)  For another example see the EAI DSN draft.

> I support this document, I find it useful, I've reviewed it and 
> and I find it reaches a reasonable balance
[...]

+1

 Frank