Subject: Spammers answering TMDA Queries

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:49:29 -0400

The Secretariat tells me that Spammers are responding to TDMA queries 
so that their mail goes through.  They have made the suggestion that 
we clear the list of people once per year.  This would mean that a 
legitimate user of a list that uses TDMA would get a TDMA query once 
a year if they are not subscribed to any ietf.org mail list.  There 
is no TDMA query for people who are on at least one ietf.org mail list.

Here is the info that I have:

>  > Russ wants to know how many people have responded to the TMDA
>  > challenge but are not on any IETF mailing list.
>
>1025 mail addresses have "confirmed" their address.  I would bet that
>at least 20% of the confirmed are spam addresses (or autoconfirmed
>addresses)

Thoughts?

Russ 

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:14:58 -0700

>>at least 20% of the confirmed are spam addresses (or autoconfirmed

How was that 20% number guessed at?. If 200 spammers (or even 20!) 
were on the TDMA list, we should be seeing tons of spam on the lists; 
so far, we are not.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:54:46 -0700

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>RE: Spammers answering TMDA Queries</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sounds reasonable to me.<BR>
<BR>
Tdma for personal email protection is rude and unacceptable. For mailing =
lists it is entirely acceptable. Cost far outweighs benefit as the =
inconvenience to the single sender is much less than the benefit to the =
community.<BR>
<BR>
Should also consider if spf or dkim checks could cull the paypal =
spam.<BR>
<BR>
Sent from my GoodLink Wireless Handheld (www.good.com)<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;-----Original Message-----<BR>
From: &nbsp; Russ Housley [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">mailto:[email-masked]</A>]<BR>=

Sent:&nbsp;&nbsp; Tuesday, October 02, 2007 04:12 PM Pacific Standard =
Time<BR>
To:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; [email-masked]<BR>
Subject:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Spammers answering =
TMDA Queries<BR>
<BR>
The Secretariat tells me that Spammers are responding to TDMA =
queries<BR>
so that their mail goes through.&nbsp; They have made the suggestion =
that<BR>
we clear the list of people once per year.&nbsp; This would mean that =
a<BR>
legitimate user of a list that uses TDMA would get a TDMA query once<BR>
a year if they are not subscribed to any ietf.org mail list.&nbsp; =
There<BR>
is no TDMA query for people who are on at least one ietf.org mail =
list.<BR>
<BR>
Here is the info that I have:<BR>
<BR>
&gt;&nbsp; &gt; Russ wants to know how many people have responded to the =
TMDA<BR>
&gt;&nbsp; &gt; challenge but are not on any IETF mailing list.<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;1025 mail addresses have &quot;confirmed&quot; their address.&nbsp; =
I would bet that<BR>
&gt;at least 20% of the confirmed are spam addresses (or =
autoconfirmed<BR>
&gt;addresses)<BR>
<BR>
Thoughts?<BR>
<BR>
Russ<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
_______________________________________________<BR>
Ietf mailing list<BR>
[email-masked]<BR>
<A =
HREF=3D"https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf">https://www1.ietf.or=
g/mailman/listinfo/ietf</A><BR>
</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C80559.00BA2F68--

--===============1807419586==
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1807419586==--

---

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:54:46 -0700

> were on the TDMA list, we should be seeing tons of spam on the lists; 
Maybe they're just harvesting addresses?

       Mike

ns/txt; l=479; t=1191367785;
	x=1192231785; c=relaxed/simple; s=oregon;
	h=To:Content-Type:From:Subject:Content-Transfer-Encoding:MIME-Version; 
	d=cisco.com; i=[email-masked];
	z=From:=20Michael=20Thomas=20<[email-masked]>
	|Subject:=20Re=3A=20Spammers=20answering=20TMDA=20Queries
	|Sender:=20 |To:=20Paul=20Hoffman=20<[email-masked]>;
	bh=5YJDCxhTdtI4YSV5JAZena6sHVR0DP73sc88YQH6GnQ=;
	b=NTHS6/xqqTBkrwFkVQDyUXPdg3pMZXCnz8OMlaGir/BtPEjLvcVo2svhkjJI8ZdxLOi/wNM6
	ekSlIJZNujU+tcY0THH4VWW5ysfd69D5xveJdFJDWKAukWVXlfs1Jgi5;
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Spammers answering TMDA Queries

> were on the TDMA list, we should be seeing tons of spam on the lists; 
Maybe they're just harvesting addresses?

       Mike