Subject: MP3 support for Friday afternoon

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 12:39:03 -0400

MP3 service was lost during the RRG meeting Friday after lunch. There  
were several
remote attendees, and they complained on jabber, so this was loss was  
felt.

It really doesn't matter now whether this was planned or an accident,  
but I would urge
either that meetings held on Friday afternoon have this support (even  
if it has to be
run from someone's laptop), or that meetings not be held Friday  
afternoon.

Regards
Marshall
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Lixia Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 10:04:46 -0700

On Aug 3, 2008, at 9:39 AM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> MP3 service was lost during the RRG meeting Friday after lunch.  
> There were several
> remote attendees, and they complained on jabber, so this was loss  
> was felt.
>
> It really doesn't matter now whether this was planned or an  
> accident, but I would urge either that meetings held on Friday  
> afternoon have this support (even if it has to be run from someone's  
> laptop), or that meetings not be held Friday afternoon.
>
> Regards
> Marshall

I'd second this request for paying more attention to Friday meeting  
arrangement in general. Not only the MP3 was gone in the afternoon,  
but also the hotel people turned off the meeting room microphone  
during the afternoon break.

Lixia

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:17:03 -0700

We've never intentionally delivered audio streaming to the rrg before, 
the recorder was removed at 15:30 not after lunch based on my need to 
pack my remaining equipment based on the stage that we were at in 
network teardown.

The proposed "friday afternoon experiment" and or some acknowldgement 
that rrg(typically friday) iepg (sunday morning) et al are part of the 
regular program and require the same service level (ie wireless network 
should stay up etc) do I think reflect the evolving nature of the 
meeting, but also represent mission creep. if the requirements are 
evolving from production network and services on sunday at noon till 
friday at noon towards sunday 0900 and friday a 1700 then the people 
operating those services need to know that.

Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> remote attendees, and they complained on jabber, so this was loss was felt.
> 
> either that meetings held on Friday afternoon have this support (even if 
> it has to be
> run from someone's laptop), or that meetings not be held Friday afternoon.
> 
> Regards
> Marshall

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:18:39 -0700

Lixia Zhang wrote:
>> but I would urge either that meetings held on Friday afternoon have 
>> this support (even if it has to be run from someone's laptop), or that 
>> meetings not be held Friday afternoon.
>>
>> Regards
>> Marshall
> 
> arrangement in general. Not only the MP3 was gone in the afternoon, but 
> also the hotel people turned off the meeting room microphone during the 
> afternoon break.

The schedule they were operating off of showed them striking the room 
after noon. where that communication issue lies I'm not clear but they 
were just following orders.

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 17:20:32 -0400

I think that this little bit of mission creep just snuck up on us.

This was by no means intended as a complaint, just as a
request and suggestion for operations going forward.

Regards
Marshall

On Aug 3, 2008, at 2:18 PM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

>>> afternoon have this support (even if it has to be run from  
>>> someone's laptop), or that meetings not be held Friday afternoon.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Marshall
> The schedule they were operating off of showed them striking the  
> room after noon. where that communication issue lies I'm not clear  
> but they were just following orders.
>
>
>> Lixia

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 15:13:06 -0700

> I think that this little bit of mission creep just snuck up on us.

Indeed. If meetings that occur on the perhipary continue to increase in 
relevance it might be prudent to consider how cost recovery could be 
done to support the expanded function, if they are now really part of 
the core meeting function etc.

> request and suggestion for operations going forward.

Nor did I take it as such, I did however know why the audio went away so 
hopefully that factual anecdote contributes a datapoint to the 
discussion on the future "friday experiment", non-core meetings, etc.

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 18:18:01 -0400

And, in another bit of mission creep, I would note that WG interims are
supposed to be regular WG meetings but in my experience are generally  
not
broadcast or recorded using MP3.

A kit or cookbook to enable people to do this with either
the usual OSes, or with common programs like iChat would be useful.

Regards
Marshall

On Aug 3, 2008, at 5:20 PM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

>>> I'd second this request for paying more attention to Friday  
>>> meeting arrangement in general. Not only the MP3 was gone in the  
>>> afternoon, but also the hotel people turned off the meeting room  
>>> microphone during the afternoon break.
>>

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 09:48:31 +0200

On 4 aug 2008, at 0:18, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> supposed to be regular WG meetings but in my experience are  
> generally not

> the usual OSes, or with common programs like iChat would be useful.

We had an interim meeting for multi6 in Santa Monica many moons ago,  
and I brought extra cables to plug into the PA system in order to  
broadcast and archive that session.

It's not all that hard to do if you have decent network connectivity  
and plan ahead. The hardest part is setting up a server that remote  
listeners can connect to.
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 08:27:40 -0700

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> We had an interim meeting for multi6 in Santa Monica many moons ago, and 
> I brought extra cables to plug into the PA system in order to broadcast 
> and archive that session.
> 
> It's not all that hard to do if you have decent network connectivity and 
> plan ahead. The hardest part is setting up a server that remote 

I have access to a couple of those that support shoutcast/icecast2 style 
mp3 audio streaming if someone needs access to one of them for such a 
purpose you can contact me offlist.

joel

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 13:17:41 -0400

On Aug 4, 2008, at 11:27 AM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

>> We had an interim meeting for multi6 in Santa Monica many moons  
>> ago, and I brought extra cables to plug into the PA system in order  
>> to broadcast and archive that session.
>> It's not all that hard to do if you have decent network  
>> connectivity and plan ahead. The hardest part is setting up a  
>> server that remote listeners can connect to.
>
> I have access to a couple of those that support shoutcast/icecast2  
> style mp3 audio streaming if someone needs access to one of them for  
> such a purpose you can contact me offlist.

There needs to be a cookbook. Every WG should be able to do this,  
regardless of the streaming abilities of
the members.

Marshall