Subject: Re: Disappointing to not have plenary slides online for remote participants...

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 13:11:54 -0400

Some of the slides came to me just in time.  I should have posted the 
ones that were available on time.  I'll do better next time.

Russ

At 12:55 PM 7/31/2008, Dan York wrote:
>Being a remote participant (for the first time) at this IETF 72
>meeting, I have to say that my main disappointment was that some or
>all of the slides for the two plenary sessions were not available at
>the time of the plenary.
>
>In the Wednesday Plenary, only two of the 4 IPv6 presentations were
>available. The ARIN presentation, in particular, had a number of
>charts that made it rather useless to be listening to the audio as we
>had no clue what was being discussed.  The two missing presentations
>were later uploaded, but they were not available when they were being
>discussed.
>
>In the Thursday Plenary, *none* of the presentations were available
>outside of the one-slide agenda and the Note Well. This left those of
>us listening to the audio (and in the Jabber room) without much
>context for what was being said.
>
>I applaud the efforts the IETF makes to allow for remote
>participation.  At IETF 72, the audio streams generally worked very
>well with only a few minor glitches on the ones I listened to.  In
>contrast to IETF 71, the Jabber server worked great with no outages
>that I saw. The groups I attended all had good Jabber scribes.  Most
>all of the working groups had their slides up in time for the sessions
>(some did this better than others, getting them up sometimes a day in
>advance). While obviously not as good as actually being there in
>person, the remote participation experience was pretty decent.
>
>My only major disappointment as a remote participant was really that I
>didn't have some or all of the slides and therefore the context for
>the audio of the plenary sessions.
>
>My 2 cents,
>Dan
>
>--
>Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
>Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     [email-masked]
>Phone: +1-407-455-5859  Skype: danyork  http://www.voxeo.com
>Blogs: http://blogs.voxeo.com  http://www.disruptivetelephony.com
>
>Build voice applications based on open standards.
>Find out how at http://www.voxeo.com/free
>
>
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>Ietf mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 14:56:03 +0100

> ones that were available on time.  I'll do better next time.

It strikes me as unreasonable to place that kind of last-minute burden on you. 
Slides provided well in advance?  Fine.  Slides provided at the last minute?  No.

I suggest placing that kind of burden on the presenters, but allow them an easy 
way to publish availability of the slides.

The easiest one I can think of is for them to send a URL in the relevant jabber 
room.  They put it wherever than can/want and post the URL.  Instant notice. 
Instant availability.  No last-minute burden on IETF management or staff.

d/

-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net