Subject: lateral approach to SS7/VoIP over satellite

From: "Rubin Rose" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:29:19 +0200

Dear members, 

I was inspired to submit content in order to explore the potential for
integration of NOP into current revised standards for transmission of SS7
over IP over satellite.

If this content is deemed too commercial for this readership kindly advise
or direct me towards a more appropriate audience; a brief overview of the
concept is included in the text below related to a joint development
successfully completed with ESA (European Space Agency): The complete
article is covered in the attached link, and a separate .xls file includes
calculation parameters for NOP benefits over SIP and H323.

"WTL has an excellent track record in providing equipment for voice services
using satellite trunking and has over 100 systems deployed around the world.
The company's key strength in this area has always been the superior
bandwidth-saving capability of WTL's patented NOP (Network Optimisation
Protocol). 

The Artes 4 contract provided joint funding for a series of developments
designed to make WTL equipment perform an even better job for telecom
operators wishing to use these emerging low cost satellite services. One
aspect of the ESA project was to modify NOP to operate efficiently over
DVB-RCS services. The lower price point of DVB-RCS equipment and space
segment means that this is of great interest to operators, particularly in
the developing world."

Regards,

Rubin Rose

International Account Manager 

Changing the way the World Communicates ............

World Telecom Labs

Diegemstraat 42

B-1930 Zaventem

Belgium

Telephone +32 2 722 7200

Fax +32 2 725 6006

Web http://www.wtl.be

Email [email-masked]

************************************************************************
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this
information, or taking of any action in reliance upon it by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.

Subject: ESA Telecommunications: ESA Funded VoIP over Satellite Development helps African telecoms
From: <Saved by Windows Internet Explorer 7>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 12:39:56 +0200

ESA

Home

User
Support Office

Special
Interest Groups

01 Jul
2008 12:39

Telecom

About
Telecom

Programme
Organisation

Current
and Future Opportunities

Events

New to
Telecom?

How
to participate

Website
Navigator

Initiative
For ESA Telecom Newcomers

Web
Based Training System

Already a
contractor?

eProject

Resources
for projects

Programme
Lines

Programme
Development

Technology

User
Segment

Overview

Tenders

Projects

Multimedia
Systems

Mobility

Large
Platform Mission

In-Orbit
Demonstrations

Iris
Programme

Small
GEO Programme

Services

Request
Brochures

Contact
Us

Legal
Disclaimer

ESA Funded VoIP over Satellite Development helps African
telecoms

01 Jul 2008
Telecom operators across Africa and the Middle
East can now benefit from new technology developed with the
assistance of the European Space Agency.

World Telecom Labs, a Belgian-based developer of Voice over IP
(VoIP) equipment for telecom operators, developed this technology
through ESA’s Research in Telecommunications Systems (ARTES)
program. The project’s objective was to address the difficulties of
carrying VoIP traffic over shared satellite services, primarily
DVB-RCS, to result in a commercially saleable device allowing
telecom operators to deploy a range of satellite-based commercial
services.

The platform used for this development was WTL's existing IPNx
switch. Modifications needed to be made in order for it to become
suitable for satcom operators by adapting WTL's patented Network
Optimisation Protocol (NOP). Using WTL’s NOP bandwidth-saving
technology will typically cut the cost of satellite bandwidth in
half without sacrificing quality. Simply put, this technique packs
multiple VoIP voice samples into a single IP packet. Because the
samples are not modified, quality is unaffected but, on
multi-call links, significant savings are made on the packet
overhead. Also, since single samples are taken from each active call
rather than queuing multiple samples from the same call, delay is
not increased.

As the focus of the project was to create commercial benefits, a
live customer network was to be installed and tested. The
client chosen for this pilot was Xplorium, an international
wholesale VoIP carrier with a presence in Europe, the Americas, the
Middle East and Africa. Xplorium's specialities include
carrying the international traffic of Global System for Mobile
Communications (GSM) operators. In a number of locations the traffic
is carried via satellite and this has given rise to concerns about
the voice quality and the efficiency of transmission.

The first operational link used for the pilot was between Gambia
and the client’s NOC in Paris with a capacity for 360 optimised VoIP
calls (equivalent to 12 E1s). The trial was successful by
demonstrating high voice quality and confirming that significant
bandwidth savings were actually achieved. As a result the pilot was
soon followed by deployments in a number of other African locations,
with the traffic again being sent to the Paris hub.

Simon Pearson, WTL’s Business Development Director says; “For
this installation we have been able to draw on the improvements that
we made to NOP in the ESA funded project. This allows us almost to
do the impossible – in some cases we can save bandwidth and improve
the voice quality of VoIP over satellite. We have added features
specifically to counteract the common problems of satellite
transmission of VoIP, namely variable delay or jitter, long delay
and packet loss in busy contended services.”

Frank Zeppenfeldt, Communications Engineer with ESA's
Telecommunications and Integrated Applications department
says;  "In this project ESA offered its technical DVB-RCS
assets to support WTL in testing the performance of voice codecs in
a satellite environment. This is a typical example of a development
supported by the ARTES 4 program of ESA Telecommunications, in which
a new product is developed that is close to the market and allows
the enhancement of voice services over satellite."

ESA supports a wide range of projects, which encourage adoption
of the DVB-RCS standard, providing positive benefits for all.
DVB-RCS is an open standard for bi-directional or two-way
transmission of digital data. It employs satellite
transmission using combinations of C, Ku and Ka bands with
return bandwidth up to 2 Mbit/s. Such projects stimulate growth and
keep Europe on the forefront of the telecommunications industry.

For more information, see the links located in the top right
corner of this page.

Last Update: 01 Jul 2008

Related
Links

VoIP
Equipment for Satellite Use

ESA
supported projects for DVB-RCS

External
Links

World Telecom Labs

ESA Telecom is not responsible for the content
of external sites.

Contact

Simon
Pearson

Frank
Zeppenfeldt

Search
in

Keywords

News

Projects

Documentation

Tenders

Not logged in

Why
register?

Registration

Password
Reminder

Username

Password

Copyright 2000 - 2008 © European Space
Agency. All rights reserved.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Michael Tüxen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:07:46 +0200

Hi Rubin,

Can you provide the documents in a readable format? Did you look at
SIGTRAN protocols?

You might want to send an e-mail also to the SIGTRAN mailing list...

Best regards
Michael

On Aug 13, 2008, at 2:29 PM, Rubin Rose wrote:

> Dear members,
>
> I was inspired to submit content in order to explore the potential  
> for integration of NOP into current revised standards for  
> transmission of SS7 over IP over satellite.
>
> If this content is deemed too commercial for this readership kindly  
> advise or direct me towards a more appropriate audience; a brief  
> overview of the concept is included in the text below related to a  
> joint development successfully completed with ESA (European Space  
> Agency): The complete article is covered in the attached link, and a  
> separate .xls file includes calculation parameters for NOP benefits  
> over SIP and H323.
>
> “WTL has an excellent track record in providing equipment for voice  
> services using satellite trunking and has over 100 systems deployed  
> around the world. The company’s key strength in this area has always  
> been the superior bandwidth-saving capability of WTL’s patented NOP  
> (Network Optimisation Protocol).
> The Artes 4 contract provided joint funding for a series of  
> developments designed to make WTL equipment perform an even better  
> job for telecom operators wishing to use these emerging low cost  
> satellite services. One aspect of theESA project was to modify NOP  
> to operate efficiently over DVB-RCS services. The lower price point  
> of DVB-RCS equipment and space segment means that this is of great  
> interest to operators, particularly in the developing world.”
>
> Regards,
>
>
> Rubin Rose
>
> The information transmitted is intended only for the person or  
> entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or  
> privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or  
> other use of this information, or taking of any action in reliance  
> upon it by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is  
> prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender  
> and delete the material from any computer.
>
>
> <ESA Telecommunications ESA Funded VoIP over Satellite Development  
> helps African telecoms.mht><NOP Bandwidth calculator.xls>

---

From: Yaakov Stein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:30:06 +0300

Dear Rubin

The only US patent I see granted to WTL is 6958999 from 2005.

If the subject of your IPR is the aggregation of multiple VoIP payloads
into a single packet in order to reduce overhead,
various methods to do this have already standardized in RFC 4170,
RFC 5087 section 5.2, and ITU-T Y.1452,
and have been widely deployed for the last 10 years.

Can you explain what is new or give a pointer to the application publication number ?

Y(J)S

________________________________
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Rubin Rose
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:29 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: lateral approach to SS7/VoIP over satellite

Dear members,

I was inspired to submit content in order to explore the potential for integration of NOP into current revised standards for transmission of SS7 over IP over satellite.

If this content is deemed too commercial for this readership kindly advise or direct me towards a more appropriate audience; a brief overview of the concept is included in the text below related to a joint development successfully completed with ESA (European Space Agency): The complete article is covered in the attached link, and a separate .xls file includes calculation parameters for NOP benefits over SIP and H323.

"WTL has an excellent track record in providing equipment for voice services using satellite trunking and has over 100 systems deployed around the world. The company's key strength in this area has always been the superior bandwidth-saving capability of WTL's patented NOP (Network Optimisation Protocol).
The Artes 4 contract provided joint funding for a series of developments designed to make WTL equipment perform an even better job for telecom operators wishing to use these emerging low cost satellite services. One aspect of the ESA project was to modify NOP to operate efficiently over DVB-RCS services. The lower price point of DVB-RCS equipment and space segment means that this is of great interest to operators, particularly in the developing world."

Regards,

Rubin Rose