Subject: What Sort Of Jabber Server For IETF Conference?

From: "Athar Shiraz Siddiqui" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:30:20 -0500

Dear List,

Could someone identify the jabber server that hosts the discussion
rooms (chat rooms ) for the upcoming IETF conference?

How does one get an account on this jabber server?

Does this server require SASL authentication?

I am writing a client that will be communicating with this server and
I would like your assistance please.

Thank you

-- 
Shiraz

500 Riverside Drive
#425
New York, NY 10027
(703) 879-8342 (skype prefer)
(703) 862 4796 (cell)
(212) 316 8630 (landline) (extn 8630)
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:38:45 -0700

> rooms (chat rooms ) for the upcoming IETF conference?

As far as I know it uses the ejabberd codebase.

> How does one get an account on this jabber server?

You don't. This server is used only to host the chatrooms. You need to
create an account on one of the public XMPP services to get on the
network, then join the chatrooms at jabber.ietf.org from your "home"
account. It's relatively easy to create an IM account at one of the
public services such as jabber.org (of which I am an admin), Google
Talk, Live Journal Talk, etc.

> Does this server require SASL authentication?

No, because it hosts only the chatrooms.

> I would like your assistance please.

As long as your client supports RFC 3920/1 and XEP-0045 you will be able
to get on the network and join the chatrooms.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: "Athar Shiraz Siddiqui" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:02:14 -0500

> As far as I know it uses the ejabberd codebase.

Thanks! that will help! (I hope)

>  Talk, Live Journal Talk, etc.

So I have a gtalk/ gmail account as you can see from my email. I have
been using gtalk as a testbed and my client sends xmpp messages to
"buddies" on my "buddy list" (or JIDs on my roster?)
Now I wish to send messages to a room like this one for example :
http://jabber.ietf.org/logs/sip/2007-12-05.html

I have invited [email-masked] and it shows up on my list as
"invited" but nothing else.
This is from my gtalk interface. Is there something that I am doing
wrong? I should expect to join this chatroom, no? Has anyone done this
using a gmail account?

How do I join this chatroom Sir?

-- 
Shiraz

500 Riverside Drive
#425
New York, NY 10027

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:14:42 -0700

Athar Shiraz Siddiqui wrote:
> been using gtalk as a testbed 

Be aware that the Google Talk has some differences from the usual XMPP
deployments. In particular, it blocks communication with any entity that
is not in your contact list.

> and my client sends xmpp messages to

Same thing.

> "invited" but nothing else.

Right, because [email-masked] is not the kind of entity that will
acknowledge your presence subscription request (it's a chatroom, not a
"normal" IM client/account).

> wrong? I should expect to join this chatroom, no? 

You should expect to join the chatroom if you follow the spec for XMPP
chatrooms:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html

> Has anyone done this

Many thousands have, yes. But I don't know if the standard Google Talk
client for Windows in fact supports XEP-0045, so you might need to use a
more full-featured XMPP client; there is a list here:

http://xmpp.org/software/clients.shtml

> How do I join this chatroom Sir?

See XEP-0045.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/