Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-igoe-secsh-aes-gcm (AES Galois Counter Mode for

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 17:35:30 -0500

I have three comments, none of them are show stoppers.

1) The Abstract includes a reference.  The RFC Editor will not allow 
it.  I suggest the following to resolve the concern:

      The Secure Shell (SSH) secure remote-login protocol is specified
      in RFC 4251.  SSH employs cryptographic algorithms to provide
      authentication, key agreement, confidentiality and data integrity.
      This document specifies the conventions for using AES-GCM
      (Advanced Encryption Standard used in Galois/Counter Mode) to
      provide both confidentiality and data integrity.

2)  The introduction should include references to AES and GCM.  There 
are already normative references to the needed documents, but the 
Introduction should really point to them.  I suggest:

    Galois/Counter Mode (GCM) [GCM] is a block cipher mode of operation that
    provides both confidentiality and data integrity services.  In 
this document, GCM
    is used with the block cipher defined in the  Advanced Encryption Standard
    (AES) [AES].  This document specifies the conventions for using AES-GCM
    to provide both confidentiality and data integrity in the Secure 
Shell Transport
    Layer Protocol [RFC4251].

3) Section 4 should have an introduction sentence that expands AEAD.

Thanks,
   Russ

>The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
>the following document:
>
>- 'AES Galois Counter Mode for the Secure Shell Transport Layer Protocol'
>    <draft-igoe-secsh-aes-gcm-00.txt> as an Informational RFC
>
>The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
>[email-masked] mailing lists by 2008-12-03. Exceptionally,
>comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please
>retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>
>The file can be obtained via
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-igoe-secsh-aes-gcm-00.txt

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf