Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-raj-dhc-tftp-addr-option (VoIP Configuration Server Address Option) to Informational RFC

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 12:17:30 -0700

Say a client gets the an single address in the response. Now what  
protocol does it use? Does it just randomly try protocols seeing if  
one will work? It seems like it needs to say use TFTP. Or say  
something like try HTTP then TFTP or something. Just providing a  
random address does not seem like it will result in any  
interoperability. Particularly in the case where phones from more than  
one vendor want to work on the same network with same DHCP server.

I also think it is important to mention the limitations of TFTP. The  
ping time from my home across the VPN to the the tftp server my phone  
reaches is around 120 ms. TFTP is a stop an wait protocol without  
overlapping transactions of 512 payload bytes. So if I want to  
download a 20 meg firmware image for my phone, it takes a few hours  
regardless of what my bandwidth is. Note my crappy DSL connection with  
the same VPN would download that same image over HTTP in well under a  
minute.

Cullen <in my individual contributor role>

On Nov 25, 2008, at 10:17 AM, The IESG wrote:

> The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to  
> consider
> the following document:
>
> - 'VoIP Configuration Server Address Option '
>   <draft-raj-dhc-tftp-addr-option-04.txt> as an Informational RFC
>
> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
> final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to  
> the
> [email-masked] mailing lists by 2008-12-23. Exceptionally,
> comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please
> retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>
> The file can be obtained via
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-raj-dhc-tftp-addr-option-04.txt
>
>
> IESG discussion can be tracked via
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=12769&rfc_flag=0
>
> _______________________________________________
> IETF-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf