Subject: vMeet: effort to improve remote IETF participation

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:57:35 -0700

Folks,

After a number of comments from the floor at last Wednesday's IETF plenary, Russ 
Housely suggested forming an effort to work on "virtual meeting" capabilities, 
beyond the audio broadcast / jabber participation mode that the IETF current 
supports.  Some unknown, external force raised my hand, when Russ asked for a 
volunteer to the lead the effort.

There is now a mailing list to support discussion of this topic:

    [email-masked]

    <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vmeet>

The purpose of the activity is to:

      Explore, specify and develop improved services for remotely participating 
in IETF meetings. Look for eventually supporting virtual meetings that have no 
physical venue. A modest form of a virtual meeting is a small-group conference 
call, such as regularly conducted by the IESG, IAB and IAOC.

The state of the art -- and more importantly, the state of the product and 
service industry -- is quite advanced.  So I view this as an effort in 
pragmatics.  If there is any software development, it should be limited to 
scripts.

Please join the list and join the effort to add incrementally better remote 
participation services for IETF meetings.

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net