Subject: Repair of Public Mail List Archives Complete

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 13:20:52 -0800

As I mentioned late last week, as a side effect of a recent Mailman  
upgrade some mail lists with previously public archives had their list  
configuration reset to private archiving, resulting in  inaccessible  
archives. This archiving issue has now been repaired and the "missing"  
archives have been transferred from private to public.

All lists with public archives should now have the complete set of  
messages.

As always, please contact me with any questions or concerns.

Regards,
Alexa

-----------
Alexa Morris / Executive Director / IETF
48377 Fremont Blvd., Suite 117, Fremont, CA  94538
Phone: +1.510.492.4089 / Fax: +1.510.492.4001
Email: [email-masked]

Managed by Association Management Solutions (AMS)
Forum Management, Meeting and Event Planning
www.amsl.com <http://www.amsl.com/>

---

From: "Tom.Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:34:06 +0100

Alexa

I noticed the lists were down and would normally have flagged it, as many
another organisation knows.  I did not do so partly because of the usual problem
of where to flag it but more because what is the point?  These are not so much
archives as current affairs.  I can look at what has been posted so far today,
or yesterday or last week.  But when I really need an archive, to see what was
agreed in 2006, I have to get there day by day by painstaking day by tedious day
at a time.  I can see no other more direct way.

Where the ietf does not host the archive, and there are still some, then I get a
menu inviting me to start in March 2006, which takes me where I want to be in
seconds.

So when the ietf archives are down, well, I don't really miss them.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexa Morris" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 10:20 PM
Subject: Repair of Public Mail List Archives Complete

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:15:17 -0700

Hi -

> From: "Tom.Petch" <[email-masked]>
> To: "Alexa Morris" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:34 AM
> Subject: Re: Repair of Public Mail List Archives Complete
...
> But when I really need an archive, to see what was

The files at ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ are much better suited for
such searches, especially when the time frame is fuzzy.

Randy

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 19:21:00 +0000

>such searches, especially when the time frame is fuzzy.
Or provide anonymous IMAP access to the archives and use an email client 
to search.

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 20:38:25 -0400

Hi Tom,

> at a time.  I can see no other more direct way.

Dont be so sad :-). Try the IETF mailing list search engine developed by 
Lars and Jari

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=006728497408158459967%3Aybxjdw-bjjw

Cheers
Suresh

---

From: "Tom.Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:26:49 +0100

Randy, Suresh

Thanks for the info.

I do like my Web interface to a mailing list once I am in approximately the
right time frame and I know of no such interface to an IETF list archive any
more.  By contrast, the IRTF archives, such as ICCRG and TMRG are excellent.
The nearest such IETF facility is CCAMP but that has less function and uses
https:-( with a certificate that my browser rejects.

Tom Petch