Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-roll-indus-routing-reqs (Industrial Routing Requirements in Low Power and Lossy Networks) to Informational RFC

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 01:20:45 +0100

Dear IETF,

This may be late, after 2009-03-05, but here it goes anyways.

There was some discussion in the WG about the Mobility requirement in
this draft, section 8.  It seems the requirement is indeed in the draft
but discussions don't make it appear as important as it may imply.  This
leads to potentially unclear decisions about what kind of protocol work
should be done in ROLL WG.

A simple example:
> The routing protocol SHOULD support the wireless worker with fast 
> network connection times of a few of seconds, and low command and 
> response latencies to the plant behind the LLN access points, to 
> applications, and to field devices.

To me this reads as if a NEMOv6 Mobile Router would be a very pertinent
solution, or part of the ROLL solution.

However, it is not clear from the text, neither from the recent WG
discussions, whether this Mobility requirement is important, or less
important, or not important at all.

BEcause of that, I can't say what kind of work should I expect to do or
at least to see in the ROLL WG with respect to Mobility.

A solution to it would be to completely remove the section 8. Mobility
from the requirements draft, but I also understand this comes from a
strong industrial need.

That's my comment,

Alex

The IESG a écrit :
> The IESG has received a request from the Routing Over Low power and 
> Lossy networks WG (roll) to consider the following document:
> 
> - 'Industrial Routing Requirements in Low Power and Lossy Networks '
>  <draft-ietf-roll-indus-routing-reqs-04.txt> as an Informational RFC
> 
> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>  final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to 
> the [email-masked] mailing lists by 2009-03-05. Exceptionally, 
> comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please
>  retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
> 
> 
> 
> The file can be obtained via 
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-roll-indus-routing-reqs-04.txt
> 
> 
> 
> 
> IESG discussion can be tracked via 
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=17220&rfc_flag=0The
>  following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________ IETF-Announce mailing
>  list [email-masked] 
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
>