Subject: Query regarding Additional Mode transition logic for IR & IR-Dyn Packets (Interoperabilty)

From: "Chaitanya Pradeep" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:49:36 +0530

Dear RoHC ers,

     I am facing ambiguity regarding handling of Mode Cancellation for IR &
IR-Dyn Packets in Profile -0x0004 (RFC 3843).
     RFC 3843 says:

        The Mode parameter for  the value mode = 0 (packet types UOR-2, IR
and IR-DYN) is redefined
        to allow the compressor to decline a mode transition requested by
the decompressor:

        Mode: Compression mode. 0 = (C)ancel Mode Transition

     Upon receiving the Mode parameter set to '0', the decompressor MUST
stay in its current mode of operation and
       SHOULD refrain from sending  further mode transition requests for the
declined mode for a certain amount of time.

Q.1) How do we communicate mode parameter (i.e, '0' for Mode cancellation)
to Decompressor for IR & IR-Dyn Packets?

       RFC 3095/ 3843 has not defined any field indicating 'Mode' in IR
/IR-Dyn Packet formats for Profile-0x0004.
       But UOR-2 Packet can communicate mode value in the form of
Extension-3.

Q.2) Is this interpretation correct?

      Can we define a field for mode parameter in Dynamic chain (in IR &
IR-Dyn packets) and communicate the mode value
      to De-compressor, by indicating it as '0' for handling of Mode
Cancellation.

      Will the above implementation give any impact in Interoperabilty?

  Pls share your valuble thoughts regarding the same.

Thanks,
Pradeep.

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments contained in it.