Subject: Tools to Publish I-Ds with pre-5378 Content

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 15:40:07 -0500

All;

Several tools to publish Internet Drafts have implemented the IETF  
Trust's recent policy changes that provide a work-around to the issues  
raised by the inclusion of material from contributions published  
before 10 November 2008.  You may have already been aware of one or  
more of the tools from other lists, or discussions on this list, but  
the Trust wanted to consolidate the information to ensure its general  
and aggregated availability, even at this time, just 24 hours before  
the -00 deadline for IETF 74.

If your Internet Draft  contains pre-5378 Material as to which the  
IETF Trust has not been granted, or may not have been granted, the  
necessary permissions to allow modification of such pre-5378 Material  
outside the IETF Standards Process then section 6.c.iii from http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/IETF-Trust-License-Policy.pdf 
  must be included in the draft.

Volunteers who created and maintain the tools have implemented the  
updates:

1. idnits - (thanks Henrik Levkowetz)
2. Word template - (thanks Joe Touch)
3. xml2rfc - (thanks Bill Fenner and Marshall Rose)

The tools can be found at:
1. idnits - http://tools.ietf.org/tools/
2. Word template - http://tools.ietf.org/inventory/author-tools.shtml
3. xml2rfc - http://xml.resource.org/experimental.html

A little more info on the xml2rfc variants (borrowed from Julian  
Reschke - thanks)

This version, v1.34pre3, implements the IETF Trust language of  
November, 2008 and
February, 2009.

Briefly, you want to set the 'ipr' attribute of the <rfc/> element to  
one of these values:

	trust200811
	noModificationTrust200811
	noDerivativesTrust200811
	trust200902
	noModificationTrust200902
	noDerivativesTrust200902
	pre5378Trust20090

The final value in the list above is probably the one of interest to  
most folks.

At this point, only the *200902* variants should be relevant (not all of
those changed from 200811, but we added all of them for consistency).

(1) "trust200902" is the value to choose when no restrictions are  
being made.

(2) "noModificationTrust200902" adds

"This document may not be modified, and derivative works of it may not
be created, except to format it for publication as an RFC or to
translate it into languages other than English."

as defined in Section 6.c.i of
<http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/IETF-Trust-License-Policy.pdf>.

(3) "noDerivativesTrust200902" adds

"This document may not be modified, and derivative works of it may not
be created, and it may not be published except as an Internet-Draft."

as defined in Section 6.c.ii of
<http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/IETF-Trust-License-Policy.pdf>.

(4) "pre5378Trust200902" adds

"This document may contain material from IETF Documents or IETF
Contributions published or made publicly available before November 10,
2008. The person(s) controlling the copyright in some of this material
may not have granted the IETF Trust the right to allow modifications of
such material outside the IETF Standards Process. Without obtaining an
adequate license from the person(s) controlling the copyright in such
materials, this document may not be modified outside the IETF Standards
Process, and derivative works of it may not be created outside the IETF
Standards Process, except to format it for publication as an RFC or to
translate it into languages other than English."

as defined in Section 6.c.iii of
<http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/IETF-Trust-License-Policy.pdf>.
This is the new variant that was introduced because of the problems
discovered in November with RFC 5378.

Ray