Subject: Downloading a whole maillist's archive

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:41:26 -0400

I want to download the whole lisp maillist archive and import it into 
Thunderbird.

I have a plugin for Thunderbird that will take mbox format, and I have 
pulled in maillist archives from other organizations.

However, I have not found a link at ietf.org that allows me to download 
a whole maillist's archive (or at least by month).

I really want to review and search the archive before I jump in even 
with the conversations I had with lisp participants at the IETF meeting 
last week.

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:10:57 +0300

ftp.ietf.org, in the "ietf-mail-archive" directory

On 2009-3-31, at 5:41, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:19:27 -0400

Dan Wing wrote:
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/text/lisp/
>   

I want to thank all that responded to my question. I now have the whole 
lisp archive ready to browse (fortunately there was NOT a lot of history 
to download!).

I was asked by a few about what I was using to import mboxes into 
Thunderbird. The plugin I was using is:

http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html

But Scott Brim pointed out:

you don't need a plugin.  Just drop the mbox file in the
appropriate Tbird directory
(tools->account_settings->[account]->server_settings->Local_directory)
and it will recognize it.  When you open it Tbird will create the .msf
file for it.

---------------------------------

Well for me, account settings is under Edit, but the main point is this worked.  I just stopped Thunderbird, moved all the downloaded mboxes into my mail directory, then restarted Thunderbird.  There were separate mailboxes for each month.  I was then able to drag each one's content into a single folder and then delete all the empty per month folders.

A nice tool here would be to have an mbox built for a date range for downloading and importing.  For those lists that you already joined, have YEARS of history, and you only want a specific time period (we discussed this problem around the time of IETF 35... :) ).

> -d
>  
>
>   
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
>> Behalf Of Robert Moskowitz
>> Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 7:41 PM
>> To: [email-masked]
>> Subject: Downloading a whole maillist's archive
>>