Subject: Passing of Jim Bound

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 16:59:37 -0500

This is very sad news.  Jim was a very strong supporter of the IETF and IPv6.

Jim served the community as:
   -  IPv6 Forum Chief Technology Officer
   -  Chair of the North American IPv6 Task Force
   -  Active IETF contributor, including member of the IPng Directorate

We will miss him.

Russ

--- forwarded message ---

From: "Pouffary, Yanick" <[email-masked]>
Date: March 3, 2009 8:23:07 AM EST
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Jim Bound

Dear IPv6-ers,
Jim Bound passed away yesterday. Jim was only 58 years old.
Jim was a symbol of integrity and professionalism.
He made a profound impact on our industry and everyone who worked with him.
I am very fortunate to have been able to also call Jim friend.
Very very sad time,
Yanick

---

From: Philip Nesser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 15:02:32 -0800

It is amazing how events coincide.  I have not talked to Jim in
several years and was thinking of him yesterday, determined to look
him up today and seeing what he was up too.  I remember meeting him at
my first IETF in Seattle in 1993 or 1994.  I was very interested in
IPng at the time and as a member of the IPng Directorate I spent a
fair amount of time talking to him at that IETF and many others over
the years.

I distinctly recall a very memorable IETF Plenary (at Danvers I
believe) where the Security directorate had taken the (it seemed to us
at the time) noble stance of making 56bit DES a MUST implement for
IPsec as a direct challenge to the US policy at the time to limit
export of encryption software above 40bits of key strength.  Jim gave
an impassioned presentation against the decision using "The Art of
War" as the theme.

At the time, Jim was a Vendor/Developer Incarnate in a world of
protocol geeks.  He always pointed out the issues a vendor would have
with delivering a product based on a draft or RFC.

I am very saddened to hear about his passing.  If anyone knows his
familly please express all of our good wishes.

Sincerely saddened,

Phil

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Russ Housley <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>

-- 

--->  Phil

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 16:39:32 -0500

The IPv6 Forum set up a way for everyone to pay their respect.  The 
IPv6 Forum will collect all the posting and share them with Jim's 
family. If you are interested, you will find the link on the IPv6 
Forum home page: http://www.ipv6forum.com/

Russ

>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf 
>Of Russ Housley
>Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 11:00 PM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Passing of Jim Bound
>

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 09:23:41 -0500

> This is very sad news. Jim was a very strong supporter of the IETF and 

Very much a loss. Quite a colorful personality. I will never forget his 
mike time at the Danver's IETF in his 'nam fatigues.

When he wanted to make a point, he did not pull any punches. And the few 
times he was shown his was not the position that was going to move 
forward, he got with everyone else and made things happen.

---

From: "Jeffrey I. Schiller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 23:28:27 -0500 (EST)

----- "Robert Moskowitz" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Very much a loss. Quite a colorful personality. I will never forget
> his mike time at the Danver's IETF in his 'nam fatigues.

And neither will I (as the person he was flaming!). That said, I am
truly saddened by his passing. His wit was sharp and his heart was
always in the right place. I will miss him.

                        -Jeff

-- 
========================================================================
Jeffrey I. Schiller
MIT Network Manager
Information Services and Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue  Room W92-190
Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
617.253.0161 - Voice
[email-masked]
========================================================================