Subject: Re: Problems accessing www.ietf.org over IPv6

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:31:06 -0700

> As you have a Linux box, install the tracepath6 tool (iputils-tracepath
> on Debian, probably similar package for an RPM distro) and then do a
> "tracepath6 www.ietf.org" and you will see where it goes wrong, then
> contact your provider and pass them that info.
> It is kinda funny to see big old AT&T hanging behind OCCAID; I hope the
> secretariat is not paying AT&T too much for that kind of 'transit'.
> (seems that Sprint and Telia also have the route but don't play transit
> for AT&T thus the only transit for AT&T is OCCAID...) Lets hope that
> improves soon...

We have filed a ticket with AT&T on this end as well.

Glen Barney
IT Director
AMS (IETF Secretariat)

---

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:49:31 -0700

> We have filed a ticket with AT&T on this end as well.

And just to amplify on this point:

We are aware of the issues between Global Crossing, OCCAID, and AT&T,
and have reported them.  When we get additional data, we send it to them
immediately.  I have communication from them every 48-72 hours as they
hunt these individual problems down and correct them.

We are already putting into place additional tunnel connections directly
to the IETF, to provide a wider variety of potential routes, and AT&T
has already informed me that they are also improving their routing
situation here in California for us as well, and that details are
forthcoming.

But above all:

If you are having an IPV6 problem, you'll get the fastest action, and
you'll help us in the most direct way, by sending it directly to me, via
[email-masked] (or just to my direct email address if you like.)
I don't follow all of the conversations on this very busy list, so
sending the information to me directly will be much more helpful.

Thanks,
Glen Barney
IT Director
AMS (IETF Secretariat)