Subject: Re: [Roll] Last Call: draft-ietf-roll-building-routing-reqs (Building Automation Routing Requirements in Low Power and Lossy Networks) to Informational RFC

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 01:20:43 +0100

Dear IETF,

This may be late, after 2009-03-05, but here it goes anyways.

There was some discussion in the WG about the Mobility requirement,
section 5.3.  It seems the requirement is indeed in the draft but
discussions don't make it appear as important as it may imply.  This
leads to potentially unclear decisions about what kind of protocol work
should be done in ROLL WG.

A simple example:
> To minimize network dynamics, mobile devices SHOULD not be allowed to
>  act as forwarding devices (routers) for other devices in the LLN.

This effectively prohibits the use of a NEMOv6 Mobile Router (RFC3963),
which I find otherwise very appropriate for this task.  Because I'm not
sure I know of any other mobility protocol which would achieve the same.

So, is this a requirement?  A so-and-so requirement?

A suggestion would be to completely remove the Mobility requirement
section from the draft.  But I'm not sure I could suggest that because
it appears also that the requirements are very strongly supported by
industry needs.

That's my comment,

Alex

The IESG a écrit :
> The IESG has received a request from the Routing Over Low power and 
> Lossy networks WG (roll) to consider the following document:
> 
> - 'Building Automation Routing Requirements in Low Power and Lossy 
> Networks ' <draft-ietf-roll-building-routing-reqs-05.txt> as an 
> Informational RFC
> 
> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>  final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to 
> the [email-masked] mailing lists by 2009-03-05. Exceptionally, 
> comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please
>  retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
> 
> 
> 
> The file can be obtained via 
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-roll-building-routing-reqs-05.txt
> 
> 
> 
> 
> IESG discussion can be tracked via 
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=17943&rfc_flag=0The
>  following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________ Roll mailing list 
> [email-masked] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll
>