Subject: IETF NomCom Changes Discussion

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:28:17 -0700 (PDT)

Several changes to the NomCom process were discussed during the plenary
session last Wednesday.  The minutes have been posted so that anyone that
was not at the plenary session can catch up.  The minutes can be found
here:

    http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/09mar/minutes/plenaryw.txt

The discussion will continue on the [email-masked] mail list.

Thanks,
  Russ

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 11:38:28 -0500

Hi, Russ,

I may have misunderstood (I was presenting, so not taking good notes during 
the NomCom discussions), but I'm looking at

    Russ asks who believes that we need to do anything that
    describes what is acceptable NomCom behaviour.

    many hums

    Russ asks who doesn't believe this is necessary?

    a few more hums

and remembering that this part of the conversation was about behavior beyond 
the NomCom (lobbying, etc) - behavior of nominees, behavior of people who 
have opinions about the people on the nominee list, etc.

This was certainly my understanding from Leslie's post on "openlist", on the 
NomCom mailing list.

Should I go listen to the audio?

Thanks,

Spencer

> _______________________________________________
> IETF-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
>

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 13:12:17 -0400

I believe the hum was about "lobbying" behavior of the candidates on 
the open list toward NomCom and the rest of the community.

Russ

At 12:38 PM 4/1/2009, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
>Hi, Russ,
>
>I may have misunderstood (I was presenting, so not taking good notes 
>during the NomCom discussions), but I'm looking at
>
>and remembering that this part of the conversation was about 
>behavior beyond the NomCom (lobbying, etc) - behavior of nominees, 
>behavior of people who have opinions about the people on the nominee list, etc.
>
>This was certainly my understanding from Leslie's post on 
>"openlist", on the NomCom mailing list.
>

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 12:34:11 -0500

Your memory matches mine. Do the notes need to reflect "nominee" behavior, 
instead of "NomCom" behavior?

Just to make sure we're on the same page ... Joel reminded me after I'd 
already submitted a couple of versions of openlist that you're a nominee if 
NomCom is considering you, a candidate if NomCom is submitting you to a 
confirming body, and a successful candidate if the confirming body confirms 
you - so I'm assuming that you meant "nominee" in your post. Please let me 
know if you meant "candidate", of course.

>From 3777 Section 2:

   candidate: A nominee who has been selected to be considered for
      confirmation by a confirming body.

   confirmed candidate: A candidate that has been reviewed and approved
      by a confirming body.

   nominee: A person who is being or has been considered for one or more
      open positions of the IESG or IAB.

Thanks,

Spencer

>I believe the hum was about "lobbying" behavior of the candidates on the 
>open list toward NomCom and the rest of the community.
>
> Russ
>
>
>>and remembering that this part of the conversation was about behavior 
>>beyond the NomCom (lobbying, etc) - behavior of nominees, behavior of 
>>people who have opinions about the people on the nominee list, etc.
>>
>>This was certainly my understanding from Leslie's post on "openlist", on 
>>the NomCom mailing list.
>>

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 17:02:18 -0400

Spencer:

I made the suggested change to the minutes.

Russ

At 01:34 PM 4/1/2009, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
>Your memory matches mine. Do the notes need to reflect "nominee" 
>behavior, instead of "NomCom" behavior?
>
>Just to make sure we're on the same page ... Joel reminded me after 
>I'd already submitted a couple of versions of openlist that you're a 
>nominee if NomCom is considering you, a candidate if NomCom is 
>submitting you to a confirming body, and a successful candidate if 
>the confirming body confirms you - so I'm assuming that you meant 
>"nominee" in your post. Please let me know if you meant "candidate", of course.
>
> From 3777 Section 2:
>
>>I believe the hum was about "lobbying" behavior of the candidates 
>>on the open list toward NomCom and the rest of the community.
>>
>>Russ
>>
>>
>>>I may have misunderstood (I was presenting, so not taking good 
>>>notes during the NomCom discussions), but I'm looking at
>>>

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 20:04:03 -0700

>     open positions of the IESG or IAB.

or IAOC.

Bob

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 22:20:55 -0500

yeah, that's the 3777bis-ish change ;-)

Spencer