Subject: RFC Editor Services Contracting Status

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:52:55 -0400

RFC Editor Services Contracting Status

The IAOC issued an RFC Editor Services RFI on January 23, 2009 to  
identify potential contractors to provide the RFC Editor services and  
to obtain feedback from contractors and the broader Internet community  
on the implementation of the new RFC services model based upon <draft- 
iab-rfc-editor-model-04>.

Four responses were received by the deadline on March 6 from potential  
contractors.  The RFI specified that vendor's input, including  
identification and cost estimates, would be kept confidential except  
if the vendors specified otherwise, and for responses in a specified  
section.

Here is a summary of the responses.

Paraphrasing the input regarding the RFC Editor Services model:

  Separating the Independent Submissions Editor and RFC Series Editor  
from the Production Center and Publisher would create a systems of  
checks and balances, and provide accountability and transparency.

  The model proposed in the RFI and draft-iab-rfc-editor-model  
provides the proper separation between functions which are technical  
in nature and those which are editorial and production oriented.

All expressed an interest in performing functions of the RFC Editor.

The IAOC is taking the following actions based upon consideration of  
this input, previous community discussions, the recommendations of the  
RFC Services Selection Oversight Subcommittee and its own judgment:

1. Independent Submissions Editor
a. The IAOC is recommending to the IAB that it use the Statement of  
Work from the RFI for the Independent Submissions Editor when the IAB  
leads a community-based selection process for the ISE.

2. RFC Series Editor
  a. The IAOC is recommending to the IAB that it lead a community- 
based selection process to select the RFC Series Editor using the  
modified SOW.

3. RFC Publisher
  a. The IAOC will use the modified Publisher SOW.
  b. The IAOC will negotiate with the current Secretariat contractor  
for delivering RFC Publisher services before deciding whether to sole  
source the services or obtain competitive bids for the Publisher  
function.
  c. If an agreement with the current Secretariat contractor for the  
Publisher services cannot be reached, the IAOC will issue a  
competitive RFP for the services.

4. RFC Production Center
  a. The IAOC will use the Production Center SOW from the RFI.
  b. The IAOC will issue a draft RFP for the RFC Production Center for  
community review.
  c. The IAOC will issue the RFC Production Center RFP following  
community review.

5. Timing
  a. Items 3 and 4 above will be delayed until after the IAB reviews  
the RFC Editor model at its  retreat the end of April.

There are matters still under discussion regarding the RFC Editor  
model on the [email-masked] list.  The community is  
encouraged to participate.

All of the approved SOWs mentioned above can be found at: http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfpsrfis.html
(See RFC Editor Services.)

The IAOC anticipates having all four services under contract or  
agreement in October 2009.  Specific timelines will be announced for  
each component by the responsible parties when the activities are  
undertaken.

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 22:38:04 -0400

To amplify -

The announcement below indicated that 2 Statements of Work had been  
changed.

The change to the RFC Publisher SOW was to section  A.4.(i) which was  
deleted.
Deleted (i) capacity of 50,000 messages per hour, recipient side.

It was deleted because the requirement was too high.

The RFC Series Editor SOW was modified in two places as follows:

1. [new language is in brackets]
Paragraph 5 of the unlabeled introductory material

It is ultimately the job of the IAB to determine that the proposed  
policies for the RFC Series are in line with the expectations of the  
Internet community.  The RFC Series Editor will identify those issues  
within the RFC processes for which general policies need to be  
developed and make the IAB aware of those issues [and, where  
appropriate, propose possible new or improved processes. The RFC  
Series Editor will also often be tasked (with appropriate IAB and  
community review) with deciding how to implement policies related to  
the RFC Series.] The RFC Series Editor will act as a point of contact  
for the IAB for queries about the RFC Series continuity and the  
effectiveness of policies.

Language clarifies the process identification action, and  
responsibility to implementing policies.

Section 2. A. 3  [new language is in brackets]
3. The RSE will exercise executive-level management over the  
implementation of  policies, processes and procedures established to  
ensure the quality and consistency of the RFC Series. [The RFC Series  
Editor will work with the IAB to develop new policy, and, when  
appropriate, advise the IAOC of policies and procedures that may  
impact contract provisions, and of contract provisions that are not  
being followed.]

For clarity, the bracketed new language replaces:
  The RFC Series Editor will work with the IAB and IAOC to develop new  
policy and see that contractual agreements are met.

The new language is intended to clarify that policy matters were with  
the IAB and contractual matters with the IAOC.

As indicated below the SOWs can be found at  http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfpsrfis.html 
  (See RFC Editor Services.)

There are still matters under discussion regarding the RFC Editor   
model on the [email-masked] list.  It is anticipated that  
the model, <draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-04>, will undergo additional  
changes until the RFC is published.

Comments on the foregoing modifications to the SOWs should be made on  
the RFC Interest list.

Ray

On Apr 13, 2009, at 3:52 PM, Ray Pelletier wrote:

> identify potential contractors to provide the RFC Editor services  
> and to obtain feedback from contractors and the broader Internet  
> community on the implementation of the new RFC services model based  
> upon <draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-04>.
>
> Four responses were received by the deadline on March 6 from  
> potential contractors.  The RFI specified that vendor's input,  
> including identification and cost estimates, would be kept  
> confidential except if the vendors specified otherwise, and for  
> responses in a specified section.
>
> this input, previous community discussions, the recommendations of  
> the RFC Services Selection Oversight Subcommittee and its own  
> judgment:
>
> Work from the RFI for the Independent Submissions Editor when the  
> IAB leads a community-based selection process for the ISE.
>
> 2. RFC Series Editor
> for delivering RFC Publisher services before deciding whether to  
> sole source the services or obtain competitive bids for the  
> Publisher function.
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf