Subject: Re: 75th IETF - Hotels

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:49:36 +0200

On 14 apr 2009, at 16:37, IETF Secretariat wrote:

> Be sure to make your reservation at one of the Stockholm hotels the  
> IETF
> has a block of rooms held.  Cutoff dates for the blocks are relatively
> early.

No kidding: some are next week.

> Hotel information can be found at:
> http://www.ietf.org/meetings/75/hotels.html

Some of the phone numbers have a (0) in there. Is this the European  
(0) which means "if you don't know that you sometimes have to remove  
that 0 you will get some unlucky soul on the line who doesn't know why  
he gets so many crank calls" or the North American (xyz) which means  
it's a normal part of the number?

(My phone number in Holland used to be 31073... and it took me years  
to figure out why people would keep calling me over and over again  
when they clearly needed someone else. But this person apparently  
decided that +31(0)73... was a good way to write down their number  
+3173... / 073...)

Do we have an RFC for how to format phone numbers?

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 04:17:15 -0700 (PDT)

I don't think an RFC is needed. Unless I am mistaken, the + format, 
leaving out leading 0s was introduced by CCITT (now ITU) in the "Red 
Book" back in 1984, perhaps even in earlier works.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> >Be sure to make your reservation at one of the Stockholm hotels the IETF
> Some of the phone numbers have a (0) in there. Is this the European (0) which
> means "if you don't know that you sometimes have to remove that 0 you will get
> some unlucky soul on the line who doesn't know why he gets so many crank
> calls" or the North American (xyz) which means it's a normal part of the
> number?
> 
> (My phone number in Holland used to be 31073... and it took me years to figure
> out why people would keep calling me over and over again when they clearly
> needed someone else. But this person apparently decided that +31(0)73... was a
> good way to write down their number +3173... / 073...)
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>

---

From: Lyman Chapin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:06:18 -0400

Ole,

You're not mistaken - the standard "+" format is defined in ITU-T  
Recommendation E.123 (http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-E.123/en).

- Lyman

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 07:52:11 -0700

>has a block of rooms held.

For these hotels, is the IETF group rate always less than (or equal 
to) the non-group rate?  Apparently this was not always the case in 
San Francisco.

	Ross.

---

From: "Francois Audet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:40:11 -0500

> (My phone number in Holland used to be 31073... and it took 
> me years to figure out why people would keep calling me over 
> and over again when they clearly needed someone else. But 
> this person apparently decided that +31(0)73... was a good 
> way to write down their number  
> +3173... / 073...)
> 

Yes: RFC 3966 "The tel URI for Telephone Numbers".

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:30:28 -0700

Hi -

> From: "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <[email-masked]>
> To: "IETF Discussion Mailing List" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:49 AM
> Subject: Re: 75th IETF - Hotels 
...
> Do we have an RFC for how to format phone numbers?

ITU E.123 would be what you want.
http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-E.123-200102-I/e
Clause 2.8 hints at those annoying parenthesized things,
and 7.2 makes it clear it's not an appropriate notation
for international numbers.

Randy

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 13:52:07 -0400 (EDT)

> for international numbers.

And for the next RIPE meeting remember any 7 digit phone
number means Amsterdam :)

Paul

---

From: Michael Tüxen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 20:49:55 +0200

Does others also have a problem in reserving a room
at the Clarion Sign? I get only a generic error message
the the system can not process the reservation and
I should check my data...

Best regards
Michael

On Apr 15, 2009, at 11:49 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> that 0 you will get some unlucky soul on the line who doesn't know  
> why he gets so many crank calls" or the North American (xyz) which  
> means it's a normal part of the number?
>

---

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 14:17:01 -0400 (EDT)

> to) the non-group rate?  Apparently this was not always the case in 

It depends on when (and how) you book, but generally no.

As of mid-December 2008, booking.com was offering a standard double 
room with breakfast at the Clarion Sign for 1295 SEK on our meeting 
dates, with day-before cancel terms.  The IETF meeting rate for the 
same class of room is 1895 with a May 1st(!!!!) cancellation date. 
Our lowest meeting rate at the Clarion is 1495.

Right now, I can't find Clarion rooms online at all.

Doubles at the Rica Stockholm and Rica Kungsgaten are currently 
available at hotel.info for 1195 (v. a meeting rate of 1495 or 1795 
depending on the number of nights).  The lowest IETF rate at those 
hotels is 1295.

-- Sam

---

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 13:14:53 -0700

> I should check my data...

We believe we succeeded, but there was some wierdness.  There were two 
different room rate figures shown on our confirmation.  Fortunately (!?) 
the higher one was the IETF rate.

Bob Braden

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 13:19:50 +0100

> I should check my data...

You have to enter Stockholm as the location, but even then I was only
offered what seemed to be a single room despite requesting a double
room (2 guests).   I phoned up and booked that way, which was a little
complex (they have a special booking desk for block bookings) and I've
yet to receive the email confirmation 24 hours later.   But I'm
sure it will be OK.   Just seems calling is the way to go right now.

Tim

-- 
Tim