Subject: Beyond reproach

From: Phillip Hallam-baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:16:41 -0700

One of the commentators in a recent thread suggested that another  
person was "beyond reproach"

That has been worrying me as a security person for a number of  
reasons. Not least the fact that in my business nobody is ever beyond  
reproach

For the past eight years the establishment press in this country told  
us daily that suggesting that the 'president' was not beyond reproach  
was tantamount to committing treason

It seems to me that many of the social infrastructures that have  
developed over the years by ietf members suffer from being dependent  
on being run by individuals who are and must be beyond reproach

That is a very fragile model

If someone is beyond reproach they are beyond accountability

Sent from my iPhone

---

From: Clint Chaplin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:43:53 -0700

"...Popper said that it is reasonable to assume that sooner or later
some rotten scoundrels will gain power.  It's not important who they
will be precisely, but whatever your political views might be you must
agree that a likelihood of such an event is rather high.  So whatever
law you want to have in your country, don't ask yourself the question
"how this law can be used in good hands".  Ask the question "how this
law can be used when the filthiest, dirtiest, stupidest bastards will
rule my country (and sooner or later they probably will)".  Only the
law that cannot be used to do anything wrong EVEN by the most vicious
ruler is truly good...."

On 4/22/09, Phillip Hallam-baker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> One of the commentators in a recent thread suggested that another person was
> "beyond reproach"
>
>  That has been worrying me as a security person for a number of reasons. Not
> least the fact that in my business nobody is ever beyond reproach
>
>  For the past eight years the establishment press in this country told us
> daily that suggesting that the 'president' was not beyond reproach was
> tantamount to committing treason
>
>  It seems to me that many of the social infrastructures that have developed
> over the years by ietf members suffer from being dependent on being run by
> individuals who are and must be beyond reproach
>
>  _______________________________________________
>  Ietf mailing list
>  [email-masked]
>  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>

-- 
Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin
Principal Engineer
Corporate Standardization (US)
SISA