Subject: ietf-charsets archive gone?

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 09:41:02 +0200

Hi,

it was just pointed out to me that it's hard (impossible?) to find the 
archive for the ietf-charsets mailing list.

<http://www.iana.org/assignments/charset-info> points to 
<http://mail.apps.ietf.org/ietf/charsets/maillist.html>, but that 404s 
(maybe just recently?).

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/list/nonwg/> mentions the list, but 
doesn't point to an archive (I did find a copy at lists.w3.org, but it 
stops in 2004).

What's going on here?

BR, Julian

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:03:23 -0700 (PDT)

> <http://mail.apps.ietf.org/ietf/charsets/maillist.html>, but that 404s

Fairly recently I think; it was simply a matter of the server being down. It's
up now.

> What's going on here?

Very little as far as I can tell.

				Ned

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:41:31 +0200

> Very little as far as I can tell.

Ned, thinks for fixing this.

I'm now trying to subscribe, using the instructions at 
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/charset-info>, but do not get any 
response back. Is this a known issue?

BR, Julian

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:18:47 -0700 (PDT)

> response back. Is this a known issue?

There's no issue at all, if you check you'll see that you have already been
subscribed to the list. It just doesn't happen instantly, that's all.

95%+ of the subscription requests for this list are clearly attempts to
subscribe something bogus to the list. Legit requests occur at a rate of a
couple every year, so it's set for manual request moderation.

				Ned

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 19:25:44 +0200

Ned Freed wrote:
> ...
> ...

Hi Fred,

thanks for the feedback. I guess the combination of the archive being 
down, and the request not yielding an immediate feedback was causing the 
confusion.

BR, Julian