Subject: Re: FW: Last Call: draft-harkins-emu-eap-pwd (EAP Authentication Using Only A Password) to Informational RFC

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 10:00:57 -0400

I spent a fair amount of time talking to people about this draft 
during the Stockholm IETF meeting.  The whole debate about standards 
track vs. informational began due to an error on my part.  The 
authors requested publication on the standards track, but I processed 
the document for informational without realizing my mistake until the 
heated discussion began on the mail list.  Based on the conversations 
in Stockholm, it is clear to me that a Last Call for standards track 
would have resulted in the same heated debate.

At this point in time, all standards track EAP methods have gone 
through the EMU WG.  The Security ADs have recommended that this 
approach is desirable to ensure that there is sufficient review.

The EMU WG does not have a work item in their charter that would 
accommodate this document.  The Security ADs are not willing to 
recharter the EMU WG to add such and item until further progress is 
made on the existing work items.

Many people expressed concerns about implementation.  So far, there 
is no indication that the EAP-pwd will be implemented by anyone 
beyond the authors.  If others are planning to do so, please let me know.

Given this situation, I am willing to continue to sponsor the 
document as informational (or experimental, if the authors 
prefer).  I'm willing to consider progression to the standards track 
in the future if there is uptake in the community.

Russ