Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-allbery-afs-srv-records (DNS SRV Resource Records for AFS) to Proposed Standard

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 11:07:30 -0500

Hi,

--On January 8, 2010 7:28:51 AM -0800 The IESG <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
> the following document:
>
> - 'DNS SRV Resource Records for AFS '
>    <draft-allbery-afs-srv-records-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This spec needs to wait on the IANA SRV registry document 
(draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports) that is being revised and also blocking a 
couple of SRV-related drafts I have been working on too. Once that is done 
it should register its new services using the new procedure.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 14:51:29 -0500

>    <draft-allbery-afs-srv-records-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

I support publication of this document.  It meets a need which is currently 
not fulfilled in any other way, and IMHO is long overdue.

I also believe there is consensus within the AFS community in support of 
this document.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <[email-masked]>
   Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:42:20 -0800

At 07:28 08-01-10, The IESG wrote:
>The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the

In Section 4:

   "<proto> MUST be "udp" for the current AFS protocol, which uses Rx
    over UDP."

It would be better to specify what the current AFS protocol is.

   "As specified in [RFC1034], DNS RRs MUST be discarded after their TTL,
    and the DNS query repeated."

RFC 1034 actually says:

   "The TTL describes how long a RR can be cached before it should be 
discarded."

RFC 2782 refers to RFC 1035.  The same reference could be used in 
this I-D.  I suggest changing that paragraph to:

   The time-to-live (TTL) is defined in RFC 1035.  The TTL describes how long
   the SRV record can be cached before it should be discarded.  Any information
   derived from the SRV record, such as preference ranks, MUST be 
discarded when the
   DNS SRV RR is expired.

Quoting the last paragraph of that section:

   "AFS clients MAY remember which targets are inaccessible by that
    client and ignore those targets when determining which server to
    contact first.  Clients which do this SHOULD have a mechanism to
    retry targets which were previously inaccessible and reconsider them
    according to their priority and weight if they become accessible
    again."

In the "TTL" paragraph, it is specified that any information derived 
from the SRV record must be discarded.  That would include the target.

In the example in Section 6:

       "afsdb1               A     172.30.79.10
        afsdb2               A     172.30.79.11
        afsdb3               A     172.30.79.12"

IPv4 addresses from TEST-NET-1 (RFC 5737) can be used:

        afsdb1               A     192.0.2.10
        afsdb2               A     192.0.2.11
        afsdb3               A     192.0.2.12

Please add an IANA Considerations section that says:

   This document contains no IANA actions.

Regards,
-sm