Subject: Re: Defining the existence of non-existent domains

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 00:51:08 +0100 (MEZ)

John Levine wrote on the IETF main list:

>> [ re _proto and _service names ]
> ...
> Yes, I noticed that.  As far as I can tell, the only _name entries
> other than SRV protocols and services are _domainkey, _vouch, and
> _adsp.  It would be nice to collect them all in one place.

Yes, these "underscore labels" are already in our focus for the
upcoming other draft that Olafur had pre-announced on this thread.
But don't forget, _adsp is subordinate to _domainkay, per RFC 5617.

Since "underscore labels" are not considered "normal" DNS labels
for domains representing (roughly) physical hosts and networks,
everything below the topmost underscore label should not need
to go in a central repository for underscore labels but be
pointed to by the documentation referenced for the upper label
in such repository.

Also 3GPP has tentatively defined a bulk of non-IETF protocol
related "underscore labels" for DNS based service discovery.
One goal of the upcoming second draft will be to advice SDOs
outside the IETF on how to 'socialize' with the IETF and use
'canonical' underscore labels.

Your draft (draft-levine-reserved-names-registry) IMO should focus
on the "normal" reserved labels.

Kind regards,
  Alfred Hönes.

P.S.:
  For everybody who wants more detailed information on
  draft-gudmundsson-dnsext-srv-clarify-00 than the I-D abstract
  but does not have the time to read the whole draft: please look at
  http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2009/msg03189.html
  (or the copies of that message posted to tsvwg and apps-discuss at
  ietf.org today) for a one-page explanation of that draft and its
  relations to the companion documents (in progress).

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+