Subject: Fwd: Need volunteer for continued support of xml2rfc

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 16:40:33 -0500

Marshall Rose has lead the development effort for xml2rfc for many 
years.  Many thanks to him and the other folks that have offered their 
help as well.  As you can see from the message below, Marshall is ready 
to pass the reigns to another volunteer.  If another volunterr is not 
found, then the amount of hand editing that will be required to make 
effective use of xml2rfc will increase over time.

A volunteer or group of volunteers is needed to take over the 
maintenance of xml2rfc.  Please let Marshall Rose and myself know if you 
are interested in this activity.

Russ

> From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:40:35 -0800
> Cc: [email-masked], Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>, Carl 
> Malamud <[email-masked]>
> Subject: continued support of xml2rfc
>
> greetings.
>
> the 10 year anniversary of xml2rfc arrived this summer. it is fair to
> say that i am no longer interested in supporting it. however, i am
> informed that there are substantive number of incremental changes to
> the boilerplate forthcoming.
>
> this may be problematic given that a substantive number of I-D (and
> subsequent RFC) submissions are made using the tool.
>
> it is, of course, the trust's prerogative to make changes to the
> boilerplate whenever you want; however, in the absence of changes to
> the tool, to do so will dramatically increase manual processing of
> submissions, reducing productivity and introducing errors.
>
> accordingly, i suggest that you identify alternative technical
> resources to maintain xml2rfc, and that those resources are in place
> prior to any change of the boilerplate.
>
> /mtr

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 14:21:46 +0100

> are interested in this activity.

Clarifying... What's needed are volunteers for:

(i) the web service (xml.resource.org, online conversion, references), 
or an exit strategy for that

(ii) the vocabulary (xml2rfc mailing list?)

(iii) the TCL-based XML to TXT conversion, currently xml2rfc.tcl. 
There's a choice between iiia), maintaining the current code, and iiib) 
rewriting in a more mainstream language. iiib) might make more sense in 
the mid-term future.

I'll keep maintaining rfc2629.xslt, but that's only partly helpful, as 
long as we don't move away from TXT/ASCII as publication format.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 11:11:03 -0500

On 01/06/2010 08:21 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> years.  Many thanks to him and the other folks that have offered 
>> their help as well.  As you can see from the message below, Marshall 
>> is ready to pass the reigns to another volunteer.  If another 
>> volunterr is not found, then the amount of hand editing that will be 
>> required to make effective use of xml2rfc will increase over time.
>>
>> maintenance of xml2rfc.  Please let Marshall Rose and myself know if 
>> you are interested in this activity.
>>
>> Russ
>
> There's a choice between iiia), maintaining the current code, and 
> iiib) rewriting in a more mainstream language. iiib) might make more 
> sense in the mid-term future.
>

I would also ask who adds non-ietf xml references to 
xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml2/?

For example I have one for IEEE 802.15.4 that I built and am running 
from my own server for now, as I don't know how/who to get this added.

And perhaps if there is a process, we can get IEEE to directly maintain 
their own references.