Subject: Re: Question about Prague

From: Mans Nilsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 15:01:20 +0100

Subject: Re: Question about Prague Date: Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 03:30:07PM -0500 Quoting Scott Brim ([email-masked]):
> On 12/31/2010 13:37 EST, Elwyn Davies wrote:
> > Driving into the Czech Republic shouldn't be a problem BUT you do have
> > to tell the rental agency in advance and they will make a supplementary
> > charge per day for the whole contract (not just the days you are out of
> > Germany) if my recent experience is anything to go by (hire in Austria,
> > drive to Slovenia).  Its not particularly cheap either.
> 
> I've learned that in general it costs too much to rent a car for
> international driving in Europe.

The airport is reasonably close to the city, and (as just one sample)
Lufthansa LAX-MUC-PRG and PRG-FRA-LAX costs about 670EUR return flight
in cattle class. Prague has this quaint thing called Public Transport
-- apparently unknown in USA? -- that allows for efficient tram rides
downtown. My experience from a RIPE meeting couple years ago was of a
quite convenient travel experience.

-- 
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668
Youth of today!  Join me in a mass rally for traditional mental
attitudes!

---

From: Steven Bellovin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 17:36:45 -0500

> quite convenient travel experience.

But -- beware of the taxis, especially from the train station.  In theory,
all taxi rides are metered.  In practice -- well, you know the difference
between theory and practice...  The guidebooks warn of this; in our experience
(we were there shortly after Maastricht), the warnings are quite correct.
The taxi arranged by our hotel to take us back to station was honest.
There are even "honest taxi stands" in some major tourist areas, operated
by a consortium of companies that are willing to play by the rules.

Public transit?  We arrived and left by train, so I don't know what airport
access is like there.  A couple of years ago, I tallied up how many cities
I'd taken trains or trams from the airport.  While most were outside the US,
there are a fair number of American airports where it's feasible, including
San Francisco, Boston, Atlanta, New York (two of the three airports), Chicago,
Washington, Baltimore, Seattle, Portland, Philadelphia, and probably more I
can't think of right now.  To be sure, when the rail link to EWR opened, a
news story noted that most of the customers were European, since Americans
aren't used to thinking that way...

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

---

From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Jan 2011 23:02:56 -0000

>access is like there.

There's an airport express bus to the downtown train station, and city
buses to the metro.  Details here:

http://www.myczechrepublic.com/prague/prague-airport-bus.html

R's,
John

---

From: "Richard L. Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 12:42:08 -0500

I have also had good luck with the CEDAZ minibus to Namesti Republiky
<http://www.cedaz.cz/>

According to Google Maps, their stop is around a 12 minute walk to the IETF hotel, and marginally closer than the main train station.
<http://goo.gl/sib5S>

--Richard

On Jan 2, 2011, at 6:02 PM, John Levine wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Antonin Kral <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 21:18:27 +0100

> According to Google Maps, their stop is around a 12 minute walk to the IETF hotel, and marginally closer than the main train station.

You can take bus 100 from Airport to Zlicin and then change to Metro
line B (yellow). The station Florenc near the hotel is on the same line,
so you just need to sit and enjoy the tunnels ;)

  Antonin

---

From: "Richard L. Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 16:34:54 -0500

Correction: 
s/the IETF hotel/the hotel where the IETF was *last* time/

--Richard

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 21:38:42 -0500

> s/the IETF hotel/the hotel where the IETF was *last* time/

Which is the same location this time (as revealed by the announcement just made by the Secretariat).

Regards
Marshall