Subject: Re: draft-hoffman-rfc3536bis-00 (Terminology Used in Internationalization in the IETF)

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 15:40:16 -0800

On 3/8/11 2:59 PM, Lyman Chapin wrote:
> I suggest that the draft include a definition of the term "writing
> system." Peter Daniels' explanation of what a "writing system" is in
> "The World's Writing Systems" is probably too detailed (not to mention
> arcane); but given the importance of the term (which is used 7 times in
> the draft), its meaning should be formally established.

Good call; we will add it in the -01.

BTW, thank you to everyone doing the careful reading. We are finding a 
few things in 3536 that were never defined and no one has commented on 
in eight years (like we didn't define "code point" in 3536; John caught 
this for the -00).

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Lyman Chapin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 17:59:18 -0500

I suggest that the draft include a definition of the term "writing  
system." Peter Daniels' explanation of what a "writing system" is in  
"The World's Writing Systems" is probably too detailed (not to mention  
arcane); but given the importance of the term (which is used 7 times  
in the draft), its meaning should be formally established.

- Lyman