Subject: Thank you, IETF!

From: Jun Murai <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 01:00:44 +0900

Dear IETF friends,

The national police department of Japan reported on March 26th
regarding the number of killed people by the earthquake and tsunami as
10,489 and also reported that 16,621 people are not yet found. Thus
the total number of lost people is expected to be 27,000 or more. This
is certainly a tragedy.

IETFers, we sincerely appreciate all of your encouraging messages and
sympathies for this tragic and difficult time for us. Also, you are
giving us a tremendous amount of support and donations to help the
damaged area and the people there. We, as the Internet engineers in
Japan have been working with you friends from the IETF community and
the products of your industries to deliver the maximum help.

As I reported in <http://msg.wide.ad.jp/> and elsewhere the Internet
helped people from the first moment to confirm the safety of family
members and friends even when electric power had failed and voice
phones were strictly controlled.

The Internet community in Japan has been working to open the data
generated from the official sources properly to everyone. An example
can be seen as <http://eq.wide.ad.jp/index_en.html>.

Note that we want to address the lack of information for non-Japanese
language speakers especially those located in Japan.
Unfortunately, the initial situation of the nuclear power plants were
like ‘Jaws’ situation; some did not agree to open the information to
the public promptly. We certainly would like to contribute to the open
access of the critical information for the diversity of people around
the world.

We are having a rotational scheduled regional power down in Tokyo and
its connecting prefectures. This situation is not expected to be
better soon, rather, even worse when summer comes. The life of us here
is very hard, especially to keep the servers and disks up and running
for services of the Internet during the power failure period.

Some of us from Japan might have to cancel our participation in the
IETF this time, like myself. But we certainly wish the best discussion
for the IETF process. We continue to work for recovering from this
tragic disaster as experts of the technologies IETF has developed.
Thanks for the Internet, a packet switching network and its successful
deployment to cover the maximum population even for this disaster
occasion, and thank all of you IETFers again for your sympathies and
friendship to Japan.

Sincerely,
Jun Murai
Founder, WIDE Project

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 04:45:53 +0200

Jun:

Only the Japanese would apologize for focusing their attention at home after a 9.0 earthquake and the tsunami it caused.

We wish you well. 

Fred

On Mar 27, 2011, at 6:00 PM, Jun Murai wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf