Subject: A preliminary research question: The existence of a tool to monitor a Home Agent.

From: TS Lura <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 12:11:22 +0000

Dear participants of the Ietf mailing list,

I am a student doing research for my dissertation.
In part of that research I am looking for monitoring tools, specifically
implemented for the Home Agent. (MIB RFC 2006)  Or the Mobile IP suite.
So far I have only found general tools, as the HP NNMi, Nagios, OpenNMS,
Cacti, Munin, NetMRG. And a framework for massive SNMP polling named Torrus.

HP NNMi has in theory support for logging MIB RFC 2006 since it is able to
load in MIBs and monitor specified OIDs. And I know many of the open source
tools as Nagios, Cacti, Munin, and NetMRG, are able to extend their
functionality through plug-ins or through configuration. So they should be
able to monitor the Home Agent through the support to of custom OIDs, but I
have not seen anyone do this to use with the Home Agent.

I have also done some research on Cisco ASA, Cisco stand alone HA, Juniper's
Steel-Belted Radius Mobile IP Module, Radio-IP Roaming Gateway/Server/Client
and Oracle(Sun) Solaris HA implementation.
I have not yet gained access to any of the vendors' Web UI so I have been
unsuccessful in determining how much their web UI display of the
MIB structure in RFC 2006; the scope of what they do with the data. (Logging
in graphs, etc..).

My preliminary research question is:

 - Is there is any tools which combines the open source technologies, to
specifically to monitor and display, in for example a web interface, the
information from the data objects in RFC 2006?

I would be grateful for any replies.

Kind regards,

T.S.Lura