Subject: Question about Policy Announcement and Query...

From: Todd Glassey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 12:19:14 -0700

Would a general access policy lookup tool protocol be viable here?  It 
could bolt-on to both DHCP and NEA but seems like the same additions 
would be good in both. The same is true with many other protocols. 
Especially (from my perspective) those being used in automation and 
testimony generation models.

The logic is that today we need to be able to do a complete business 
relationship online and not have to use HTTP as the basis of it. The 
nexus of this is that there really needs to be some way on the web of 
asking for and receiving the use policy for other network services (DNS, 
Email, DHCP, SSH, L2TP, SNMP, etc etc etc) than a web-interface.

This may be as simple as a use model for an existing set of tools - so 
it may be we just need use statements for fulfilling this requirement 
today.

But this brings up a stronger and more subtler argument as to whether 
standards need this type of thing - the ability to communicate the rules 
of engagement inside the context of the specific standard or as an 
alternative through a unified interface standard

Either way, I still want to propose the idea of a Project to come up 
with a proposal for a WG which would handle a uniform Policy Discovery 
Transport thingee and its use models.

I think the PDT should be adapted so it can provide these services to 
existing protocols where applicable as well inside the IETF's stable of 
IP. This allows for some pretty strong packaging options to the Trust as 
well so its probably a double whammy

My suggestion - forget its me suggesting it and just consider the idea 
on the merits of the Idea - you guys can pick someone to run this and 
produce the whole thing, I just want to propose here that this is a 
missing piece of your cake. Its the icing for a number of tools you 
already have locked-down tight so its got value and legs I think.

Todd

-- 
Todd S. Glassey - CISM CIFI
CTO Certichron Inc

This message contains information which may be confidential and/or privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the intended recipient), you may not read, use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) thereto without retaining any copies.

Further we have a formal OPT OUT Policy posted on our website pertaining to the use of any Email Addresses gleaned or taken from any source, web, mailing lists, previous customer lists etc. In all instances we choose to formally OPT OUT and this notice constitutes formal disclosure that you may not collect, buy or sell or provide access to this email address or any pertaining to our DNS MX Record Publication License posted on the web at http://www-wp.certichron.com/?page_id=3947.