Subject: Re: Opening BCP 79 (was: Re: encouraging compliance with IPR disclosure rules)

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 00:40:18 -0400

--On Wednesday, August 03, 2011 16:49 -0400 Jorge Contreras
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> John,
> 
> I'll jump in to save Marshall the trouble. I was asked by the
> IESG to put together a straw man first draft in collaboration
> with Scott Bradner. From what I see, many IDs are developed by
> a couple of authors before submitting to the larger IETF. is
> that unusual?  Clearly the intention is to have full community
> engagement, but 1200 people can't write a first draft (or at
> least not very well...) 

Jorge,

We are supposed to have some very specific rules about design
teams, especially ones that are commissioned by WG Chairs or
equivalent to prepare drafts.  Given "asked by the IESG to put
together...", your effort qualifies as such a design team.
Under those rules the relevant parts of the community are
supposed to be informed of the effort.  When, for example, Russ
initiated the work that led to RFC 5680, there was such an
announcement.

Finding out by accident doesn't constitute "informed".    Unless
the IESG has decided recently to exempt itself from that rule,
your effort is not off to a good start.

  regards,
     john