Subject: Modern Global Standards Paradigm

From: jean-michel bernier de portzamparc <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 20:09:57 +0200

For your information the IUSG (interested in the Intelligent Use of
the whole digital ecosystem) has just released the following statement
which reflect a friendly but non-IETF evaluation of the "Modern Global
Standards Paradigm" document proposed by the IETF and IAB Chairs to
the endorsement of other SDOs and proposes a way to best build on it.
Portzamparc

This matter is a matter of trust in the IETF (as well as in the whole
US organized I* structural set: ICANN, IANA, GAC) and how to
restore/maintain confidence.

As IUsers (Members of the IUse community interested in an intelligent
use of the whole digital ecosystem), FLOSS developers, end-users,
governments, and operators, we are accustomed to trusting the ITU in
its plug to plug basic interconnection services area. We are not
accustomed yet to trusting the “I*” structural set in its end to end
value-added interoperations service area.
This is for the very reasons that the IAB started to pertinently
document but with no effective result in RFC 3869.
This is because the IETF did not want to participate in the WSIS consensus.
This is because the IETF considered us in the way that they think the
ITU considers them.
This is due to our patient and friendly (sometimes tough) experience
of the ICANN, ISOC, IETF, IANA, and GAC attitude and culture.

We want this to be corrected, the IETF to relax, and everyone to
obtain clearer documentation of the UDP/TCP/SCTP strata, to ensure
that the Internet technology and its R&D are not under direct or
indirect commercial influence and its governance is not solely
conducted by the USG. This is also the case because some of us and
commercial interests as well are engaged in exploring, testing, and
documenting, in coordination with the IETF, the fringe to fringe
extended services “Internet+” area, and its non-ITU/IETF documented
layers. We need credibility, stability, and homogeneity and simple
interfaces in the Internet area as all of us currently have from the
ITU. Please understand that in this Internet+ endeavor we do not want
to obey the ITU and IETF more than you want to obey the ITU and our
emerging IUTF. However, we need non blocking clarity, transparency,
and predictability.

Our suggestion is, instead of unilaterally promoting a standardization
BCP in pure American IETF language along a non IETF documented
process, to propose an RFC 3869bis open working group with people from
all the concerned SDOs, the ITU to begin with, in order to reflect a
standardization world ethitechnical (ethic of technical
standardization) consensus on the way, not to best sign clients or
deliver to subscribers, but to intelligently serve us, the users.

To contribute to this effort, we have engaged ourselves in a
reflection on the matter at
http://iutf.org/wiki/Modern_Global_Standards_Paradigm. We will see how
it develops. Should a WG/RFC3869Bis be created, IUSG would certainly
participate.

(http://iusg.org/wiki/20120813_-_Statement_proposing_an_open_IETF/WG/RFC3869bis):

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 19:40:26 +0100

For those utterly mystified by the recent message under the above subject
header, let me note that my spam folder earlier today included a rather
incomprehensible message from JFC Morfin. I'm about to add jean-michel
bernier de portzamparc to my spam filters too, of course.

Alternatively, you could waste your time trying to make sense of those
messages. Good luck with that.

Regards
   Brian

---

From: jean-michel bernier de portzamparc <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 21:38:13 +0200

Dear Mr. Carpenter,
I do not understand this.
Would you want to examplify the ITU supposed good manners?
I am lost.
Portzamparc

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 17:06:42 -0400

>>>>> "jean-michel" == jean-michel bernier de portzamparc <[email-masked]> writes:
    jean-michel> Dear Mr. Carpenter,
    jean-michel> I do not understand this.
    jean-michel> Would you want to examplify the ITU supposed good manners?
    jean-michel> I am lost.

So am I.
You process to represent open source developers.

Yes, many of us are concerned about USG control over ICANN, but
I don't know where/how you pretend to represent "us", when we can't even
agree on much at all on a good day.

It's funny though, "I*" pattern matches ITU as well.

====

{And.. why is some kind of open standards/open source person posting
messages that are in:
   Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252

(noticed the "smart-quotes" which do not render for me)... okay, 2
points for actually announcing that your message is in a non-standard
character set, but minus 10 for using that.}

-- 
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works

---

From: Marie-France Berny <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 02:04:00 +0200

2012/8/12 Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>

>     jean-michel> Would you want to examplify the ITU supposed good manners?

I am too. So, we both are.

> You process to represent open source developers.

?

> agree on much at all on a good day.

Quite true: you say we pretend something we never pretended.
Now, you welcome to help us.
Cheers.
MF Berny