Subject: Re: ITU-T Dubai Meeting

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 10:32:41 -0400 (EDT)

> From: [email-masked] (Martin Rex)

    > To me, IPv6 PA prefixes look like a pretty useless feature (from the
    > customer perspective). 

Far be it from me to defend IPv6, but... I don't see the case here.

Our house is pretty typical of the _average_ consumer - we have a provider
suppplied PA address (IPv4, but the principles are the same), which they seem
to change on a fairly regular basis as they renumber/reorganize their
network. However, as we don't run any servers/services, we don't care. Thanks
to the magic of DHCP, etc, everything 'just works'. So for the _average_
customer (who are 99.9...% of their customers), PA is just fine.

    > you want some level of privacy protection and therefore a fully dynamic
    > temporary DHCP-assigned IPv6 address

This turns out to be a chimera. Such addresses don't really provide any real
privacy - it turns out to be easy to track people through their access
patterns, etc.

	Noel

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 18:05:35 +0300

> customer (who are 99.9...% of their customers), PA is just fine.

If home automation systems become more commonplace, having a "server" at home may also become more commonplace. What's the point of having an IPv6-enabled lightbulb if you can't turn it off from half-way around the world?  

But as long as DNS updates dynamically, this shouldn't be a problem. 

For organizations renumbering is more painful, but as long as there's plenty of time to prepare - it should be manageable. If it's too painful, there are provider independent addresses, but how many really need them?

Yoav

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Rex)
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 08:47:00 +0200 (CEST)

> privacy - it turns out to be easy to track people through their access

It _can_ be used in in a privacy-protecting fashion,
when used properly (potentially with other than a web browser).

If one is using one single web browser for *everything*; with
cookies, active content, flash and all other crap enabled,
then an occasional change in the outside address of your
DSL router is not going to make much of a difference, of course.

The map that tools/plugins like these draw after a few mouseclicks
in a fully-featured FireFox are impressive (or depressing, depending
on how you feel about privacy):

   http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/collusion/
   http://www.ghostery.com/

-Martin