Subject: Re: RFC and I-D Citation Tool

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:49:06 +0200

Hi,

On 2012-08-01 01:17 Ole Jacobsen said:
> 
> One feature request that I discussed with Henrik was to either
> "auto-detect" I-D file names and handle them slightly differently
> from RFC numbers (by putting the file name as the final entry)
> OR just having two tools. With the kind of feedback Henrik is
> getting I am sure the tool will be improved/enhanced over time.

I've now set up the tool to use different templates, depending on
whether the document is an RFC or a draft (actually, it's decided
on whether or not I find an RFC number in the metadata I have for
a document).

Let me know if this works for you, or if further tweaks are needed
to provide what is desired.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 15:53:10 +0000

Hi,

one suggestion: I-Ds must be cited as "Work in Progress" only. From the boilerplate text:

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I typically do it like this. Instead of:

Alia Atlas, Cisco Systems, Dave Ward, Juniper Networks, and Thomas Nadeau, "Interface to the Routing System Framework," July 2012, draft-ward-irs-framework-00.

I use:

Alia Atlas, Cisco Systems, Dave Ward, Juniper Networks, and Thomas Nadeau, "Interface to the Routing System Framework," Internet-Draft draft-ward-irs-framework-00, Work in Progress, July 2012.

Lars