Subject: Re: ITU-T Dubai Meeting

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:35:46 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>

    > I live in the same house. My computer is connected to the same socket
    > in the wall.

That's your physical location. Irrelevant (basically) ato the network.

    > All I changed was the ISP. Why do we call the = thing that's changed
    > "location"?

'Location' in the network-centric sense (i.e. 'where in the overall network's
connectivity map you are').

Is there a better term? (Not that we're likely to be able to switch to it
now, 'location' is too engrained, going back to RFC-1498, if not before.)

	Noel

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 18:53:47 +0300

> connectivity map you are').

Right.

The location is pretty much irrelevant to the user. Too bad changing it involves pain for the user rather than just pain for the core (ISPs and such)