Subject: RE: [pkix] Last Call: <draft-ietf-pkix-rfc5280-clarifications-08.txt> (Updates to the Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and Certificate Revocation List (CRL) Profile) to Proposed Standard

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 20:02:18 +0200

A discussion has just started yesterday on the PKIX mailing list about an 
"Errata in section 5.3 from RFC 5280".

At this time it can clearly be seen that RFC 5280 is NOT compatible with 
X.509 for the processing of 
crlEntryExtensions, whereas RFC 5280 is supposed to be a *profile* of 
X.509.

For that reason, I ask the IESG to suspend its decision until the issue 
about crlEntryExtensions is clarified 
one way or another, since this point now needs to be clarified and will 
impact a document whose goal is precisely 
to clarify RFC 5280.

Denis

De :    The IESG <[email-masked]>
A :     IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Cc :    [email-masked]
Date :  22/08/2012 17:05
Objet : [pkix] Last Call: <draft-ietf-pkix-rfc5280-clarifications-08.txt> 
(Updates        to the Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure 
Certificate and Certificate Revocation List (CRL) Profile) to   Proposed 
Standard
Envoyé par :    [email-masked]

The IESG has received a request from the Public-Key Infrastructure
(X.509) WG (pkix) to consider the following document:
- 'Updates to the Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate
   and Certificate Revocation List (CRL) Profile'
  <draft-ietf-pkix-rfc5280-clarifications-08.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-09-05. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document updates RFC 5280, the Internet X.509 Public Key
   Infrastructure Certificate and Certificate Revocation List (CRL)
   Profile.  This document changes the set of acceptable encoding
   methods for the explicitText field of the user notice policy
   qualifier and clarifies the rules for converting internationalized
   domain name labels to ASCII.  This document also provides some
   clarifications on the use of self-signed certificates, trust anchors,
   and some updated security considerations.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pkix-rfc5280-clarifications/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pkix-rfc5280-clarifications/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

_______________________________________________
pkix mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pkix