Subject: Nomcom Reports

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 14:31:19 -0600

As far as I can tell, the last official Nomcom report was from the
Nomcom I chaired (2009-2010):
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-barnes-nomcom-report-2009-00.txt

I have a general question for the community as to whether they find
such reports useful and whether we should encourage future nomcom
chairs to produce these?  While this is not listed as a requirement in
RFC 3777, I had understood as chair that this was a requirement for
the job, but again, I've not seen that carried on.  Personally, I
don't find a few .ppt charts adequate in terms of summarizing the
outcome of such an important IETF process.   The Nomcom gains a unique
insight into the operation of the IETF (and its leadership) that no
one else gets.

I will note that of the 4 issues that I raised in the report, there
are 2 that remain critical IMHO:
- Section 7.1   Diversity.  Out of the leaders across the IAOC, IAB
and IESG, there is one individual from Asia and one female (both on
the IAB).

- Section 7.3.  Expertise.  Of course, this is directly related to the
long thread of discussion underway with regards to filling the
Transport AD position - i.e., it's the exact same situation faced by
the 2009-2010 Nomcom.

The other two issues are of course, important, but didn't appear to be
such an issue for this year's Nomcom.

Regards,
Mary.

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 14:19:48 -0800

Hi Mary,
>chairs to produce these?  While this is not listed as a requirement in

I found your report useful.

>and IESG, there is one individual from Asia and one female (both on

There was an attempt to provide a path for female IETF 
participants.  There wasn't any significant response.

The message from Michael StJohns might be related to diversity ( 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg77449.html ).

>Transport AD position - i.e., it's the exact same situation faced by

It can take years to get the expertise and there's no guarantee of success.

Regards,
-sm

---

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 17:49:32 -0600

> insight into the operation of the IETF (and its leadership) that no

Mary, I found your report useful, especially when I served as the IAB 
liaison to the Nomcom the following year.

I would like to see reports like yours in the future.

Spencer

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 07:57:28 +0000

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

> http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-barnes-nomcom-report-2009-00.txt

In fairness, there were reports to plenary, although short on details:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/83/slides/slides-83-iesg-9-ietf-operations-and-administration-plenary.pdf
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/80/slides/plenaryw-9.pdf

> chairs to produce these?  

Yes, I think so. It helps to keep the process healthy.

    Brian

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 11:40:38 +0100

> I would like to see reports like yours in the future.
+1

Regards, Benoit

---

From: "George, Wes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 08:24:40 -0500

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Mary Barnes
>
> I have a general question for the community as to whether they find such
> reports useful and whether we should encourage future nomcom chairs to
> produce these?  While this is not listed as a requirement in RFC 3777...

[WEG] Yes, and Yes. However, looking at this as an outsider based just on your report and the thread that caused you to send this email, we have a larger fault, in that it appears that no one in I* is taking ownership of the problems identified. We'd be in a bit less of a crisis mode right now if someone had gotten out ahead of this problem, which says to me that we may need an update to 3777 to require both this report *and* a formal response by I* orgs to any issues identified in said report, even if it is just to take this to the community for discussion and suggestions when the problem is identified, rather than after we've already tripped over it.

Thanks for sending this out

Wes George

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 13:31:31 -0500 (EST)

> From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
> 

I haven't read this NomCom report, or any others.  But I consider them
very valuable -- if I ever considered volunteering for NomCom, I'd
want to read the last five or more reports to get some background on
the job.

Dale

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 23:02:43 +0200

Yes they are useful and yes we should keep making them.

Thanks,

Jari

---

From: Matthew Lepinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 01:36:25 -0500

I found your report useful. I intend to produce such a report.

- Matt Lepinski
  [email-masked]