Subject: Re: [IPFIX] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech-14.txt> (Flow Selection Techniques) to Proposed Standard

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 09:36:08 +0100

Dear authors,

While reviewing draft-ietf-ipfix-mediation-protocol, Rahul got some 
feedback that actually concerns draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech.
Can you please take this into account.

Regards, Benoit

>
>
> Few comments.
>
>  1. Page 8:
>      1. The difference between "Intermediate Selection Process" and
>         "Intermediate Flow Selection Process" is not clear. Is the
>         first one selecting record purely on matching content (value
>         of the fields) in the record and the second one selecting on
>         matching attributes of the fields that are not part of the
>         record in *addition* to matching content in the record? An
>         example would help here.
>
BC> Granted, this is difficult to understand from the definitions only. 
There is some history behind these two separate definitions. Anyway, you 
get it right from your message above.
I was thinking to add to a section 2.1 "Differences between Intermediate 
Selection Process and Intermediate Flow Selection Process" in the 
draft-ietf-ipfix-mediation-protocol draft. However, thinking about it 
some more, this section should really be done in 
draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech-14, to avoid some more confusion.
There is already section 3. "Difference between Intermediate Flow 
Selection Process and Packet Selection". Some more text should be added 
on the difference between Intermediate Selection Process and 
Intermediate Flow Selection Process

When created, draft-ietf-ipfix-mediation-protocol will refer to that new 
section.

> 1.
>      1. Also in the example " e.g., Filteringonly records from a given
>         network to a given Collector" - Does "given network" means
>         "source-ip/source-prefix of the exporter"?.
>
BC> It means matching the flow records to a certain 
prefix/AS/you-name-it, and exporting those matched flow records to an 
exporter.
See for example, section 6.1 in RFC 6183
This could be explained better in the new section in 
draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech (See previous point)

> The IESG has received a request from the IP Flow Information Export WG
> (ipfix) to consider the following document:
> - 'Flow Selection Techniques'
>    <draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech-14.txt> as Proposed Standard
>
> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
> final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
> [email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-04-01. Exceptionally, comments may be
> sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
> beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>
> Abstract
>
>
>     Intermediate Flow Selection Process is the process of selecting a
>     subset of Flows from all observed Flows.  The Intermediate Flow
>     Selection Process may be located at an IPFIX Exporter, Collector, or
>     within an IPFIX Mediator.  It reduces the effort of post-processing
>     Flow data and transferring Flow Records.  This document describes
>     motivations for using the Intermediate Flow Selection process and
>     presents Intermediate Flow Selection techniques.  It provides an
>     information model for configuring Intermediate Flow Selection Process
>     techniques and discusses what information about an Intermediate Flow
>     Selection Process should be exported.
>
>
>
>
>
> The file can be obtained via
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech/
>
> IESG discussion can be tracked via
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech/ballot/
>
>
> The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:
>
>     http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1540/
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> IPFIX mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix
>
>

---

From: "Salvatore D'Antonio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:16:24 +0100

Dear Benoit,

Will do.

Kind regards,

Salvatore

Da: Benoit Claise [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Inviato: mercoledì 20 marzo 2013 09:36
A: [email-masked]
Cc: IETF-Discussion list; Rahul Patel; [email-masked]
Oggetto: Re: [IPFIX] Last Call:
<draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech-14.txt> (Flow Selection Techniques) to
Proposed Standard

Dear authors,

While reviewing draft-ietf-ipfix-mediation-protocol, Rahul got some feedback
that actually concerns draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech.
Can you please take this into account.

Regards, Benoit

Few comments.

1.	Page 8:  

1.	The difference between "Intermediate Selection Process" and
"Intermediate Flow Selection Process" is not clear. Is the first one
selecting record purely on matching content (value of the fields) in the
record and the second one selecting on matching attributes of the fields
that are not part of the record in *addition* to matching content in the
record? An example would help here.

BC> Granted, this is difficult to understand from the definitions only.
There is some history behind these two separate definitions. Anyway, you get
it right from your message above.
I was thinking to add to a section 2.1 "Differences between Intermediate
Selection Process and Intermediate Flow Selection Process" in the
draft-ietf-ipfix-mediation-protocol draft. However, thinking about it some
more, this section should really be done in
draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech-14, to avoid some more confusion.
There is already section 3. "Difference between Intermediate Flow Selection
Process and Packet Selection". Some more text should be added on the
difference between Intermediate Selection Process and Intermediate Flow
Selection Process

1.	 

1.	Also in the example " e.g., Filtering only records from a given
network to a given Collector" - Does "given network" means
"source-ip/source-prefix of the exporter"?.

BC> It means matching the flow records to a certain prefix/AS/you-name-it,
and exporting those matched flow records to an exporter.
See for example, section 6.1 in RFC 6183
This could be explained better in the new section in
draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech (See previous point)

 
 
Abstract

 

 

 

  _____  

Nessun virus nel messaggio.
Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
Versione: 2013.0.2904 / Database dei virus: 2641/6186 - Data di rilascio:
18/03/2013