Subject: Re: Please review draft-housley-rfc2050bis-00.txt

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 06:04:06 -0700 (PDT)

I am wondering if the draft should mention that Local Internet 
Registries (LIRs) may sometimes take the form of National Internet 
Registries (NIRs) since this is now a reality in some places?

The current text doesn't exclude such an arrangement, but given
that this draft is an update to reflect current reality, it might
make sense to include mention of NIRs explicitly, even if their
mere existent may be considered "controversial."

Or is that just one can of worms you wish to leave unopened?

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj
Skype: organdemo

---

From: joel jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 09:20:31 -0700

> Registries (NIRs) since this is now a reality in some places?
All of the "NIRs"  I've encountered can be construed as LIRs under the 
terms of the definition of LIR in that region. apnic and lacnic I belive 
specifically recognize the term.

---

From: Roger Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 18:44:06 +0100

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM, joel jaeggli <[email-masked]> wrote:
> All of the "NIRs"  I've encountered can be construed as LIRs under the terms
> of the definition of LIR in that region. apnic and lacnic I belive

As much as I dislike the entire term NIR I see it exist already on the
"top"/"root", to quote from http://www.iana.org/numbers

"Both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are generally assigned in a hierarchical
manner. Users are assigned IP addresses by Internet service providers
(ISPs). ISPs obtain allocations of IP addresses from a local Internet
registry (LIR) or National Internet Registry (NIR), or from their
appropriate Regional Internet Registry (RIR):"

I see APNIC are using it
(http://www.apnic.net/policy/operational-policies-nirs/text), are
anyone else? All I see is just yet another level of
administration/control?

-- 

Roger Jorgensen           | ROJO9-RIPE
[email-masked]          | - IPv6 is The Key!
http://www.jorgensen.no   | [email-masked]

---

From: Arturo Servin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 15:54:40 -0300

Policy Manual / v1.10 - 13/08/2012

1. Definitions
	http://www.lacnic.net/en/web/lacnic/manual-1

2. IPv4 Addresses
	http://www.lacnic.net/en/web/lacnic/manual-2

	etc ...

	And it is not administration/control, it is also about service
(language, timezones, etc.)

/as

On 3/18/13 2:44 PM, Roger Jørgensen wrote:
<snip>