Subject: Re: IETF Diversity

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 03:12:43 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Doug Barton <[email-masked]>

    > their work has been ignored and/or shouted down since it doesn't fit
    > the narrative.

The usual fate of those who care more about the data than the herd-meme of the
moment. For a good example of this in action, those who are unfamiliar with
the work of Barbara McClintock should try looking her up. (She actually
stopped publishing because the reception given to her work was so negative.)

(In honour of the thread, I have carefully picked a female example. Is that
being sensitive, or patronizing? Left as an exercise for the reader...)

	Noel

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:34:31 -0400

> stopped publishing because the reception given to her work was so

But she won huge praise in the end, which says something ultimately good
about the process of science, that it can overcome the shortcomings of its
practitioners.

> being sensitive, or patronizing?

Yes.