Subject: Re: IETF Diversity

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 08:27:18 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>

    > there appears to be a problem with your mail system. mail which is
    > clearly from the 1950s is appearing on the ietf list.

You're right about it having fallen through a time warp - but you got the
sign wrong. It's from the future, not the past.

	Noel

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 12:21:21 -0700

>sign wrong. It's from the future, not the past.

I went back to the future to play the repeated game and I read an 
(edited) extract of a message from Andy Cohen:

   "I've been struck by the intensity, the humour, pettiness, and grandeur.
    I haven't yet concluded whether this is a group of smaller alliances
    protecting vested interests...or a bunch of pretty remarkable folk
    working in remarkable ways -- maybe both."

There was something I did not know [1] about the Internet Engineering 
Tooth Fairy, i.e. why it was set up in such a way.  Please do not ask me why.

It seems that the current discussion is about morganatic marriages, 
i.e. that's all that the person got.  Solutionists recommend easy 
solutions which ignore complex human problems.  Oddly enough a 
solution was chosen many years ago.  As time went by people forgot 
what was chosen.  It is yet to be established whether that was out of 
convenience or something else.  That solution was likely chosen to 
avoid incestuous relationships where vested interests could flourish.

Meritocracy can degenerate into cronyism.  Diversity can also 
degenerate into cronyism.  Perceptions are what people believe and 
what people believe is reality.  The answer being sought might be in the above.

Regards,
-sm

1. I am not sure whether I actually knew about it.  There are many 
things which I do not know.

---

From: Jorge Amodio <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 16:53:57 -0500

Yup he didn't apply the Y2K patch ... those missing bits ...

-Jorge