Subject: IAOC Website Updated

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 11:59:14 -0700

One of the IAOC goals for 2013 was to update the IAOC website to improve
consistency, organization, linkage, and ease of use.

I am pleased to announce that the IAOC site has been updated and is available 
now for your use at <http://iaoc.ietf.org/>.

On the home page see a video of an Overview of the IAOC given by Chair Bob
Hinden in Orlando that includes a discussion of venue selection and IETF 
finances.  Also on the home page are recent announcements, as well as reports
from IANA, the RFC Editor, the IETF Chair, the NomCom Chair, and more.

The navigation bar makes it easy to find financial statements, minutes,
meeting sponsorship opportunities, and much more.

We hope you find this helpful, the IAOC as more transparent, and of course we
welcome your feedback.

Ray
IETF Administrative Director

PS:  Going to IETF 87 in Berlin?  The IAOC will be doing another overview
session there, Sunday July 28 at 3:00 PM.  Hope to see you there!

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 16:36:32 +1200

Hi Ray,

I think it's very good. One micro-comment: the menu at the left
is headed up by the IETF logo (which is in fact a link to
the main site). I did find that momentarily confusing - maybe
the first two items could be labelled "IASA Home" and "About IASA"
to make it clear which menu this is?

Best wishes
   Brian

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 13:28:31 +0100

Hi, Ray.

I also think it's good.  On the same theme as Brian, the page is linked
to from the 'IASA' link on the main IETF page.  To make it clear what is
going on, it would be good to put the title:
IETF Administrative Support Activity
at the top of the page.

A couple of other nits:

It might also be useful to add 'IASA/IAOC' to the header of the
Announcements page.

The 'Legal' and 'Subpoenas' pages contain significant duplication:
The text in the 'Subpoenas' section of the 'Legal' page is a large
subset of the text on the 'Subpoenas' page.

Conversely, the 'Appeals' page under operations misses the text on the
appeals process in BCP101 that is hidden under the 'Legal' page.

Regards,
Elwyn

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 09:34:52 -0700

The IAOC states that "The IASA site is designed to provide the IETF 
community with transparency into the fiscal and administrative 
activities of the IAOC".

According to the IAOC minutes:

   "The IAOC approves a two-year extension of the Legal Services Contract with
    Contreras Legal Strategy LLC and requests the Internet Society to 
enter into
    such agreements as to effect this extension.

    The motion passed. Randy [Bush] abstained because he had not seen 
the contract."

The Contracts webpage ( http://iaoc.ietf.org/contracts.html ) does 
not contain most of the contracts which were signed by the IAD.  The 
IAD previously mentioned that the contracts will be published after 
the last meeting.

Regards,
-sm

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 15:22:29 -0400

On Jun 24, 2013, at 12:34 PM, SM wrote:

> The IAOC states that "The IASA site is designed to provide the IETF community with transparency into the fiscal and administrative activities of the IAOC".
> 
>   Contreras Legal Strategy LLC and requests the Internet Society to enter into
>   The motion passed. Randy [Bush] abstained because he had not seen the contract."
> 
> The Contracts webpage ( http://iaoc.ietf.org/contracts.html ) does not contain most of the contracts which were signed by the IAD.  The IAD previously mentioned that the contracts will be published after the last meeting.

Progress is being made.

The ICANN SLA for 2013 has been published.
The Verilan Master Services Agreement 2013 has been published.
Both the Secretariat and the RFC Production Center contracts are under review and I expect them published in the next two weeks

We have more to do and appreciate the continuing community interest in and feedback on what we do.
Thanks
Ray

PS Hope to see you in Berlin

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 14:35:18 -0700

Hi Ray,
>The ICANN SLA for 2013 has been published.

That's a zero-cost contract.  I don't have any problem with the IANA 
folks I interact with.  They are nice and they do what they say they 
will do.  That's more important to me than a SLA.

>Both the Secretariat and the RFC Production Center contracts are 
>under review and I expect them published in the next two weeks

Thanks.  I prefer specific dates instead of ambiguous time frames.

>in and feedback on what we do.

I presume that this message is from IASA.  What I find unusual is 
that a member of the IAOC is being asked to agree to a contract 
without being given the opportunity to read the contract ( 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg80269.html ).  I 
note that the member was selected by NomCom and that the person is 
doing the IAOC work as a volunteer.  According to RFC 4333 
"Candidates for these IAOC positions should have knowledge of the 
IETF, knowledge of contracts and financial procedures".  I don't know 
which procedures IASA is following that make it acceptable to blindly 
agree to contracts.

There was a RFP for "Remote Participation Services Specifications 
Development".  There were the IDIQ contracts which were mentioned 
over two years ago.  There was the "Requirements for Data Tracker 
Extensions for Working Group Chairs and Author" contract.  I did not 
elaborate about all the contracts in my previous message as I assumed 
that it was about all the contracts.

I do not have any vested interest in those contracts.  I am okay 
about answering any questions the IETF Community may have about my 
vested interests.

>PS Hope to see you in Berlin

It's unlikely that I will be able to make it to Germany.

Regards,
-sm

---

From: t.p. <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 11:48:57 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "IETF Administrative Director" <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF Announcement List" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:59 PM

I am pleased to announce that the IAOC site has been updated and is
available
now for your use at <http://iaoc.ietf.org/>.

On the home page see a video of an Overview of the IAOC given by Chair
Bob
Hinden in Orlando that includes a discussion of venue selection and IETF
finances.  Also on the home page are recent announcements, as well as
reports
from IANA, the RFC Editor, the IETF Chair, the NomCom Chair, and more.

We hope you find this helpful, the IAOC as more transparent, and of
course we
welcome your feedback.

<tp>

"Could Do Better".

The main impression that this page has on me is that this is a part of
the IETF, because that is the style of the page and that is what the
navigation on the left tells me; perhaps this is one of those Working
Groups I have never heard of:-(

The very brief description - "the fiscal and administrative support" -
makes me think of taxes (and tax avoidance) while the link to an RFC,
which starts with loads of irrelevant - to the likely reader of this
page (I assume someone relatively new to the work of this SDO) -
boilerplate is enough to make anyone reach for the off-switch, and
guaranteed to do so if they get as far as IAD, IASA, ISOC, etc.
Alphabet
soup indeed!

I have tried - and failed - to produce a paragraph which summarises what
IAOC is.  I would start with the need of the IETF for e-mail and web
servers, and a few other bits and pieces such as legal advice and
ownership of rights, then the need for money to fund that, where the
money comes from and how the expenditure is supervised and where ISOC
fits into that - but not an RFC in sight - or site.  This would not need
to mention the IAD but cannot, IMO, avoid IASA.

Tom Petch

</tp>

Ray

PS:  Going to IETF 87 in Berlin?  The IAOC will be doing another
overview
session there, Sunday July 28 at 3:00 PM.  Hope to see you there!

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 08:26:34 +1200

Tom,

On 25/06/2013 22:48, t.p. wrote:
...
> the IETF, 

Yes. It is a committee set up by the IETF (with help from ISOC).
...

> makes me think of taxes (and tax avoidance) 

The word "fiscal" means either pertaining to taxes or pertaining to
financial matters. It's quite appropriate - the IAOC oversees the budget,
and would undoubtedly oversee the handling of any tax matters that came
up despite ISOC's not-for-profit status.

> while the link to an RFC,

I don't see that at all. The Introduction of the RFC gives a
pretty good summary of IASA's job and the IAOC's role. Anyway,
this is not particularly intended for newcomers. We don't even
mention IASA on the newcomers page. Do you think we should?

> IAOC is.  

To my mind the phrase "The IETF Administrative Oversight Committee"
is completely self defining, as in "The IETF Administrative Oversight
Committee oversees the administration of the IETF."

OOPS Ray - fix that "Oversite" typo!!!! And the sentence should
also state that IAOC is part of IASA.

> I would start with the need of the IETF for e-mail and web

That belongs on the About page rather than the Home page. I agree it would
make sense to mention technical support there as well as pure admin support.

   Brian

---

From: t.p. <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:43:45 +0100

---- Original Message -----
From: "Brian E Carpenter" <[email-masked]>
To: "t.p." <[email-masked]>
Cc: "ietf" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:26 PM
> Yes. It is a committee set up by the IETF (with help from ISOC).

but then I read
"The IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC) ...is housed within
the Internet Society"
which makes it part of the ISOC and so I would expect the web site to
reflect
that, with an ISOC logo somewhere.

And when I click on the navigation, IETF-Home, I get .... IAOC!!!
whereas on all other pages with that style of navigation I get, well ,
IETF-Home (what should I expect)

Also, from the (real) IETF-Home, a natural starting point for the
uninitiated, there are six links to related sites, one of which is
tagged IASA/IAOC/Trust which leads direct to this site which is then
IAOC only.  Poor navigation IMO; I think it should lead to something
that
clarifies the existence and relationship of those three (which could
well be this web page expanded a little).

In passing, the IETF Trust home page may lack fancy bells and whistles
but is so much clearer.  It is what a web page should be (when judged by
content).

> up despite ISOC's not-for-profit status.

Disagree.  The last five years have seen extensive use of fiscal in the
media, and it there refers to tax and expenditure, the contrast being
with monetary, interest rates and printing money; there are plenty of
other words in our language that I think more generic - financial (as
you just used:-)?

> mention IASA on the newcomers page. Do you think we should?

If you get to the Introduction..  Try to look at this with uninitiated
eyes - you know it is boiler plate and pass over it probably without
realising that you are doing so.  An innocent eye may see ... what a
load of *** and switch off.

(I am not uninitiated in these matters, but would like others who are to
find it easier to understand what it is that I am involved with, which
is what is driving me in this).

> Committee oversees the administration of the IETF."

Well no, oversight of what?  An administrative committee (if that is not
prolix) that "oversights" the IETF or a committee that "oversights" the
IETF Administrative.  Your second formulation
"The IETF Administrative Oversight Committee oversees the administration
of the IETF."
is so much clearer (to the uninitiated).

Tom Petch