Subject: Gen-ART LC review of draft-jabley-dnsext-eui48-eui64-rrtypes-04

From: "Peter Yee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 22:37:27 -0700

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you
may receive.

Document: draft-jabley-dnsext-eui48-eui64-rrtypes-04
Reviewer: Peter Yee
Review Date: June-09-2013
IETF LC End Date: June-17-2013
IESG Telechat date: Unknown

Summary: This draft is basically ready for publication as an Informational
RFC, but has nits that should be fixed before publication. [Ready with nits]

This draft defines DNS Resources Record Types for encoding IEEE 802 EUI-48
and EUI-64 addresses.

General: I am aware of the debate on the IETF mailing list as to whether
this draft could potentially harm user privacy.  I'm of the opinion that
this draft makes a useful specification of new DNS Resource Record Types.
Misuse of this specification and many others could harm privacy, but that
shouldn't necessarily dissuade us from publishing this draft.  The security
considerations cover the issues adequately.

Major issues:

Minor issues:

Nits:

Page 1, Abstract, 1st paragraph: After "e.g.", append a comma and delete an
extraneous space before "Ethernet".

Page 3, Introduction, 1st paragraph, 2nd sentence: change "This" to "These"
and change "specification defines" to "specifications define".

Page 3, Introduction, 2nd paragraph: append a comma after "e.g.".

Page 8, 1st paragraph, 1st sentence: change "behaviour" to "behavior".
Let's settle on the American variant of English for this draft. ;-)

Page 10, 3rd paragraph: as others have pointed out, having "the querier
already know some other permanent identifier" is security by obscurity and
is not advised.

		-Peter Yee