Subject: Hugh Daniel has passed away

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 18:32:56 -0400 (EDT)

Hugh Daniel passed away on June 3rd after what appears to have been a heart attack.

https://nohats.ca/hugh-of-borg.jpg

Those who met him, know him. Principled to the core, and very present in
any room, he compelled people to listen to him - both by what he said,
and how loud he said it.

He has made many contributions during the early days of IPsec and
DNSSEC. He was a manager of the FreeS/WAN Project for many years and
co-founder of The Openswan Project and recently The Libreswan Project,
although his health prevented him from being as active and he wanted to
be in the last two years.

I met him for the first time at the CCC summer conference in 1999. Our
car had broken down, and everyone around me suggested to find Hugh Daniel
for help. He shone his freeswan photon light under the car, diagnosed
the problem, and put in a quick fix we could carefully drive to a repair
shop at 5km/h where we could tell the mechanic what to fix. We started
talking about Linux, crypto and he recruited me for the FreeS/WAN and
the goal to make the default mode of the internet encrypted. It is what
started me on IPsec, Opportunistic Encryption and DNS(SEC). In 2003,
he brought me to my first IETF in Vienna.

Hugh, you are still causing a difference and we will raise a non-aloholic
drink in your honour when we have reached the universal deployment
of encrypted communication for everything.

 	"When you're NAT on the net, you're NOT on the net"  -- Hugh Daniel

---

From: Ofer Inbar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 19:04:15 -0400

> Hugh Daniel passed away on June 3rd after what appears to have been

Whoah.  I had completely lost track of him in the past decade, but he
was one of the most memorable people I ever met through the IETF.  We
met first at IETF 37 I think, in San Jose, and kept reconnecting at
meetings for the next few years, and sharing music and book
recommendations in between.  At IETF 40 he joined me and a few friends
on a trip out of town to a concert.  I wish I remembered more of the
stories he told - I remember re-telling them to other people often,
back in the 1990s, but only remember a few now.

If I recall correctly, in addition to his leadership in promoting
encryption on the Internet, he also had a mission to make Internet
access available all over the western US, and started a number of
local and regional ISPs in the 90s in pursuit of this goal.
  -- Cos

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 01:39:43 +0200

Oh.......

What to say, what to add?

  Patrik -- sad

---

From: "Edwin A. Opare" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 00:06:08 +0000

Sounds like a great guy.'

Too bad I never met him.

R.I.P Hugh Daniel.

Edwin (sob sob)

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 10:08:12 +1000

In message <[email-masked]>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Pa
> What to say, what to add?

Sad indeed.  Just used one of those key chain lights the other day.

Mark
 
> >=20
> > Hugh Daniel passed away on June 3rd after what appears to have been a =
> heart attack.
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > Those who met him, know him. Principled to the core, and very present =
> in
> >=20
> > although his health prevented him from being as active and he wanted =
> to
> >=20
> > car had broken down, and everyone around me suggested to find Hugh =
> Daniel
> > the problem, and put in a quick fix we could carefully drive to a =
> repair
> > the goal to make the default mode of the internet encrypted. It is =
> what
> >=20
> > Hugh, you are still causing a difference and we will raise a =
> non-aloholic
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > 	"When you're NAT on the net, you're NOT on the net"  -- Hugh =
> Daniel
> >=20
> 
-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]

---

From: "Christopher LILJENSTOLPE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 18:03:44 -0700

> What to say, what to add?

The world is, unfortunately, a tad bit quieter now.

Quite sad, and quite unexpected.

	Christopher

--
李柯睿
Check my PGP key here: http://www.asgaard.org/cdl/cdl.asc
Current vCard here: http://www.asgaard.org/cdl/cdl.vcf

---

From: Ben Yalow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 08:42:58 -0400

>https://nohats.ca/hugh-of-borg.jpg

   <snip>

Since he was also very well known in the science fiction community, I 
thought I would pass along details from an SF list that had them 
(with permission from the poster on that list, Tony Cratz).

- - -

         I have talked with Mel (Hugh's roommate) and got a bit more
         information then I had earlier tonight.

         I have known Hugh for a number of years (about the time he first
         moved out to the Bay Area in the early '80s). And we have
         maintain a close contact. Under normal conditions I would talk
         with Hugh at least once a month. Often times more often.

         In the 2011-2012 time frame he spent almost a year back in the
         DC area doing work for a friend. He he came back he developed
         an inner ear condition which earlier this year caused him to
         almost be blind. He did get some meds for the condition at the
         time but it was not until last month when he found the correct
         me (or at least one which seemed to be working better). Of late
         he has been able to see mostly normal (not his extra normal
         vision which he had but closer to a standard 20/20 vision).

         I last talked to Hugh about a week+ ago. At that time he was
         on a good day after having had a few bad days and being almost
         full bed ridden.

         About half an hour ago (2:15 AM 6/4) I was able to talk with
         Mel. Hugh had picked Mel up from the airport and seemed his
         normal self (or at least his present condition self). Monday
         morning Mel had walked around the apartment and knew that Hugh
         had been up and not in his bedroom. Then at 2:30 PDT Mel went
         to a movie. He found Hugh on the floor in the bathroom with the
         water running (which was not running before the movie). Which
         means the TOD was between 2:30-4:30 PDT. Mel did overhear one
         of the EMTs say that Hugh's body temp (at that time) was at
         72F.

         Mel has confirmed that both Hugh's mother and sister has been
         notified and he has talked with both of them.

         At present we are not sure of cause of death but it would seem
         to be heart attack or stroke related.

         I for one will miss Hugh. He has been a good friend and help
         me a number of times. When I had a tech question I wanted
         answered, Hugh was the person I turned to in most cases.

         I have enjoyed our late night chats on the phone during the last
         few years. There has been times when he wanted someone to talk
         to about technical issues, or about what was happening in the
         world (such as the flooding and nuclear building collapse).
         Or talking about how he was solving a human rights abuse issue
         by being able to read 8 inch floppies which had been stored
         away (this even made Frontline, Hugh was never mention as the
         person, but he was doing the main technical work.) Hugh even
         gave me a VoIP call while he was there. Or how he was
         testing metal detectors in bath of dry ice, so Landon Noll
         could used them for Antarctic meteorites.

         I will miss my good friend.

                                                         Tony

- - -

Ben

-----
Ben Yalow                                    [email-masked]

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 07:48:50 -0400

I am sad to hear about this. I remember Hugh from various IPsec test events. And the lights… I still remember the lights.

Jari

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 07:06:53 -0700

> Hugh Daniel passed away on June 3rd after what appears to have been a

I remember many interesting moments and conversations within the 
times that I talked with him.  He was a very memorable person.

But certainly the one that stands out in my mind the most was our first
encounter.  He wrote me over email as we were arranging a time and place
to meet and ended it with "I'll be wearing a red shirt; you won't miss
me".  I thought at the time that was quite a declaration.  And indeed I
did not miss him that day.  I do now, however.

-- 
Wes Hardaker
Parsons

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 10:13:12 -0700

> Hugh Daniel passed away on June 3rd after what appears to have been a

I met Hugh many years ago when we were working on our overlay system, 
and had problems integrating it with FreeS/WAN's IPsec implementation.

And yes, I too remember the LED lights. He correlated wavelength with 
"clue" - the shorter the wavelength, the higher you stood in his view, 
AFAIR.

--

He visited my office about 12 years ago - unannounced, as was more 
typical than not. After talking at length, he invited me to dinner with 
a group of his friends in a nearby town. I mentioned that I was 
'closing' on a house in that same town, and would show him after dinner.

He rolled up just under a large tree and parked on the street. I asked 
him why he picked that location, and he said it was because his friend 
was three lots up the street, and this was the closest vacant spot.

He had parked directly at my new house.

Through him I met a very interesting sci-fi writer, Renfair frequenter, 
and food historian that evening, among others, at a restaurant I walk 
past nearly every day.

His contributions to my six degrees was sincerely appreciated and will 
be missed.

Joe

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 16:42:11 -0700

Memorials planned:

http://www.chuqui.com/2013/06/hugh-daniel-memorial-info/