Subject: Mailman service interruption yesterday

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 18:16:44 -0700

Greetings:

This notification is being sent to the general community at the
request of the IAOC.

Yesterday the IETF experienced a 5.5-hour service outage on its
Mailman list processor, beginning at approximately 1530PDT yesterday.

In this failure, Mailman started dropping messages, rather than
bouncing them, as it should have done.  AMS received alerts from IETF
members that mail was not flowing correctly.  Following the initial
alert,  AMS staff logged in to the system, and were able to analyze
the problem and effect resolution.  Mailman service was restored and
verified.

Because of the nature of this outage, AMS was not, unfortunately, able
to recover the lost email messages themselves.  We searched the mail
logs, and sent notifications to all the senders that he was able to
locate in the log during the outage period, asking those individuals
to resend their email messages.

Service has been up and running continuously since 2100PDT yesterday,
and no further outages have been observed.  No other services were
impacted or interrupted during this time.

The point here is that if you sent email messages to IETF lists during
the outage period, they were not processed, and should be resent, to
ensure proper delivery.

I remind everyone that AMS - the IETF Secretariat - is always
reachable at "[email-masked]", and I encourage everyone to
contact that address when there are problems.  Emails sent there are
tracked by the IETF's ticketing system, and reach the AMS IETF IT
Staff directly.  If mail itself is the issue, our out-of-band webform
at http://www.ietf.org/contact.html as a backup method of contact.
Note, however, that neither I nor members of my staff are generally on
*this* list, so emails sent to this, the general IETF discussion list,
will only reach us after many delays, if at all.  Please note and keep
a copy of the correct addresses to use to reach us, shown above, if
you need to.

Thank you for your patience during this outage.

Glen Barney
IT Director
AMS (IETF Secretariat)