Subject: Re: procedural question with remote participation

From: Aaron Yi DING <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Aug 2013 23:56:38 +0100

On 04/08/13 23:37, Melinda Shore wrote:
> We're all different, and for my purposes, in all honesty, having
> slides unavailable until 45 seconds before a session start hasn't
> been an issue as a remote participant.  It's definitely aggravating
> as a chair, though, since we need to get those uploaded via the
> meeting materials manager.  Overall, though, I'd say my feelings
> about this are substantially similar to Stephen Farrel's:
>
>     So I'd say working on ways to make remote participation better
>     while not making f2f participation more of a pain would be the way
>     to go.

Thanks for pointing this out.

>
> And it's unclear to me that having slides available a week before
> a session would improve remote participation much.

On top of it, we probably are familiar with such scenes that many 
presenters get suggestions from WG peers about their work and upgrade their 
slides day before the WG meetings.

For diversity, we need to take remote participants seriously. At the same 
time, we should also care for the IETFers who are submitting their work.

Thanks,
Aaron

> Melinda

---

From: Aaron Yi DING <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 14:49:52 +0100

On 06/08/13 14:08, Keith Moore wrote:
> On 08/04/2013 02:54 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
>> While I think getting slides in on time is great for a lot of reasons, 
>> reading the slides early isn't that important.   What is important is 
>> that remote people see the slides at the same time as local people.   
>> For that, it seems to me that Meetecho support does exactly what is 
>> needed.   You just follow the slideshow online, along with the audio.
> 
> I agree that remote people should see the slides at the same time as 
> local people, except that I think that in both cases this should be 
> well before the meeting.  The slides shouldn't be shown at the meeting 
> unless needed to illustrate a point of active discussion.
> 
> People keep acting as if the purpose of these meetings - the reason 
> people spend thousands of euro and travel thousands of km - is to watch 
> slides.

interesting.. out of pure curiosity, "People keep acting", you mean, 
who?

Thanks,
Aaron

PS: this whole tread is about the key word "slides". If one of the key 
purposes is NOT about presentation, what are talking about here? plz 
correct me, if I got it wrong...

> Keith