Subject: Re: stability of iana.org URLs

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 14:48:14 -0400

On Thu, 2013-08-01 at 01:10 -0700, Amanda Baber wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> The link in RFC3315 is actually incorrect -- it should have been
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/enterprise-numbers, without the file
> extension, and there's an erratum about this. HTML was generally (if
> not exclusively) reserved for files that needed to include links to
> registration forms .

Nonetheless, it's an existing URL in an immutable published RFC.  Once
such a thing has been published, right or wrong, best practice is to
make sure it remains valid.

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 07:00:19 -0400

I sent IANA a list of 45 iana.org URLs found in the RFCs that generate
404 NOT FOUND (along with the number of the RFC(s) where that URL was
found). Amanda said she'd pass the list on to "the redirector".

    Tony

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 09:43:09 -0400

> make sure it remains valid.

that was my point...
I did not think to look at Errata for a URL "mistake"

The Apache mod_spelling module would even have fixed the reference, I think.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works