Subject: Re: procedural question with remote participation

From: Aaron Yi DING <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Aug 2013 11:14:44 +0100

On 05/08/13 10:38, Scott Brim wrote:
>
> > Right, but Fuyou was talking about *spoken* English being more 
> > challenging than written English (if you can't *read* English fairly 
> > quickly, drafts and mailing lists are impenetrable, and you're done in 
> > the IETF). I'm told that it's easier for non-native English speakers to 
> > read slides than to parse spoken English for anyone who talks faster 
> > than I do.
>

don't forget there are accents as well which make the parsing challenging 
even more :)

Aaron

> Aside: this is yet another reason why a really thorough jabber scribe is 
> useful.

PS: good ones normally don't have time, and random volunteers may not meet 
your expectation. sign..

> swb

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 06:30:36 -0500

On Monday, August 5, 2013, Aaron Yi DING wrote:

>> > Right, but Fuyou was talking about *spoken* English being more >
>> challenging than written English (if you can't *read* English fairly >
>> quickly, drafts and mailing lists are impenetrable, and you're done in >
>> the IETF). I'm told that it's easier for non-native English speakers to >
>> read slides than to parse spoken English for anyone who talks faster > than
>> I do.
>>
>>
>
> even more challenging.

When I have talked to non-native English speakers at the IETF newcomers
tutorial, pointing out that many of the speakers they're working to
understand are also not not native English speakers often turns out to be
encouraging. ...