Subject: Re: procedural question with remote participation

From: Aaron Yi DING <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 20:35:39 +0100

On 06/08/13 19:03, Keith Moore wrote:
> 
> But if we're only concerned with making presentation slides available, 
> we're selling ourselves very short.  That's the point I'm trying to 
> make.
> 
> Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for clarifying it - agree with you fully on this point.

Keeping a clear goal in mind helps improve our current practice, and I 
pretty much like what Joe hinted:

On 06/08/13 18:41, Joe Abley wrote:
> The best outcome at a working group meeting is that, as a presenter, 
> you spend most of your time listening rather than talking. If the mic 
> line is empty, you probably should not have been on the agenda.  Joe

How to get remote participants involved in meaningful discussion 
deserves our close attention, besides to improve the experience for f2f 
participants, e.g., presenters. (IMO, when to upload slides and how to 
coordinate is a WG specific issue and WG/session chairs can define a 
rule of conduct in their own meetings so it works best there, for both 
remote and f2f)

Cheers,
Aaron

PS: I personally find it rather funny to see people claiming one's own 
approach works better and so forth implicitly indicating they really 
understand what remote/f2f participants need, and even so, we others 
should follow... which somehow reminds me Dave Crocker once joked in 
another thread that

"almost everyone claims that they are a better than average driver" ;)

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 15:38:06 -0400

On 2013-08-06, at 15:35, Aaron Yi DING <[email-masked]> wrote:

> PS: I personally find it rather funny to see people claiming one's own approach works better and so forth implicitly indicating they really understand what remote/f2f participants need,

For the record, I have zero experience consuming my own in-person presentations whilst attending remotely.

I will say that Dan York did a stand-up job in dnsop last week channeling jabber chatter to the microphone.

Joe