Subject: Gen-ART LC review of draft-ietf-ospf-rfc6506bis-01.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 08:16:57 +1300

[Resending again with abject apologies for a typo in the To address.]

[Resending with CC to the IETF list, since the ospf WG list
automatically rejects non-subscriber messages.]

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc6506bis-01.txt
Reviewer: Brian Carpenter
Review Date: 2013-11-12
IETF LC End Date: 2013-11-26
IESG Telechat date:

Summary:  Ready with issues
--------

Major issue:
------------

The listed changes from RFC 6506 include:

>    2.  Section 3 previously advocated usage of an expired key for
>        transmitted OSPFv3 packets when no valid keys existed.  This
>        statement has been removed.

I cannot see where this has been removed. In the last paragraph of
Section 3, the text starting:

> In the event that the last key associated with an interface expires,...

has not been changed. Isn't that the text that should be removed? In fact,
shouldn't it be explicitly contradicted, to ensure that implementations
are changed to fail-secure rather than run-insecure?

Nits:
-----

"errata" is a plural, often misused in this draft as a singular. The singular
noun is "erratum".

> This document may contain material from IETF Documents or IETF	
> Contributions published or made publicly available before November	
> 10, 2008. The person(s) controlling the copyright in some of this	
  ...

This disclaimer logically cannot be needed, since RFC6506 was published
after Nov. 10, 2008.

> 6.  Security Considerations
...
>   It addresses all the security
>   issues that have been identified in [RFC6039].

and in [RFC6506] (judging by section 1.2).

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 21:21:47 +0000

Well spotted Brian, thank you.

The author has updated the text and addressed these issues.

- Stewart

On 12/11/2013 19:16, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> .

-- 
For corporate legal information go to:

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/index.html

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 21:03:34 +0000

Hi Brian, 
Thanks much for the review. I believe I've added all your comments - see
inline. 

>Summary:  Ready with issues

Sigh - good catch. We actually discussed the text on the list but I
neglected to update it in the final revision. This is how the paragraph
will read in the next revision.

Key storage SHOULD persist across a system restart, warm or cold, to
   avoid operational issues.  In the event that the last key associated
   with an interface expires, the network operator SHOULD be notified
   and the OSPFv3 packet MUST NOT be transmitted unauthenticated.

>"errata" is a plural, often misused in this draft as a singular. The

I replaced the 3 instances of "errata" with "erratum" in section 1.2. In
the acknowledgements, the instances of "errata" were correct.

>This disclaimer logically cannot be needed, since RFC6506 was published

I've removed this by updating the xml ipr tag to simply "trust200902".

>and in [RFC6506] (judging by section 1.2).

Added the reference to RFC 6506.

Thanks,
Acee