Subject: Wayback Machine hardware burnt out

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 13:13:52 +1300

Oh dear

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/07/wayback_machine_burns_down_to_the_ground/

---

From: "Christopher LILJENSTOLPE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 16:51:50 -0800

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/07/wayback_machine_burns_down_to_the_ground/

It didn't.  They haven't lost any data, and their main building in the 
Richmond district was not damaged.  None of their servers were lost 
(some lost power for a bit).  What they did loose was their scanning 
building (or at least seriously damaged) and about $600K USD of damage 
(lots of scanning hardware) was done.  They did loose some physical 
archive stuff that was in the process of being scanned.

They are looking for donations to rebuild.

Again - no servers were damaged from the wayback machine.

	Christopher

--
李柯睿
Check my PGP key here: http://www.asgaard.org/cdl/cdl.asc
Current vCard here: http://www.asgaard.org/cdl/cdl.vcf

---

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 15:41:53 +0000

>They are looking for donations to rebuild.

Did they lack insurance coverage on their building? Usually that covers
stuff like fire damage, no?

Jason