Subject: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-ccamp-oam-configuration-fwk-11

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 21:45:55 -0500

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at

<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-ccamp-oam-configuration-fwk-11
Reviewer: David L. Black
Review Date: December 29, 2013
IETF LC End Date: January 5, 2014

Summary: This draft is basically ready for publication, but has nits that
should be fixed before publication.

This draft describes the GMPLS framework for signaling OAM configuration,
and specifies additional RSVP elements to support that signaling.  Knowledge
of RSVP, and specifically RSVP-TE is assumed; beyond that, the draft is
complete, although it is very detailed - see editorial comment below on
Section 3.

Nits/editorial comments:

Sections 3.1-3.3 dive into the details very quickly.  They would be easier to
understand if there was an overview paragraph near the start of Section 3 that
describes the roles of the two ADMIN_STATUS flags and the two LSP Attributes
flags in OAM configuration (establishment, change/adjustment, deletion) before
the current text that contains the details of RSVP message processing.

There are a number of instances of "(IANA to assign)" in section 4 that the
RFC Editor will need to remove - an RFC Editor note to that effect should
be inserted at the start of Section 4.

Section 4.5 is necessarily incomplete on P2MP considerations, because (as
it says) "P2MP OAM mechanisms are very specific to the data plane technology".
It would be helpful if section 4.5 contained language indicating what a
specific data plane specification should include to completely specify
P2MP OAM configuration for that data plane.

idnits 2.13.01 didn't find anything that needs attention.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Distinguished Engineer
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 21:50:34 -0500

One additional nit - Don Fedyk's email address listed in the draft does not work.

Thanks,
--David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Black, David
> Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2013 9:46 PM
> To: General Area Review Team ([email-masked]); [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Cc: Black, David; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-ccamp-oam-configuration-fwk-11
>

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 10:00:02 -0000

Thanks David,

Stored for future updates.

Adrian

> From: Black, David [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 30 December 2013 02:46