Subject: Fwd: I-D Action: draft-learmonth-hackerspace-header-00.txt

From: "Stewart Bryant (stbryant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 15:09:16 +0000

I am concerned that there are close to an infinite number of such headers that might be requested, some neutral, some potentially of some concern, but there is not the bandwidth to make them all RFCs.

I am not sure what others exist, but if there is not yet one for hamradio there will be a request as soon as I get back from vacation.

Then I am sure there will be requests for pretty much every social grouping and identity.

Surely there is some more generic approach to the  labelling of such identities?

Stewart

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: 11 August 2014 16:49:52 CEST
To: <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: I-D Action: draft-learmonth-hackerspace-header-00.txt
Reply-To: <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

       Title           : An Internet Message Header For Providing Hackerspace Affiliation Information
       Author          : Iain R. Learmonth
   Filename        : draft-learmonth-hackerspace-header-00.txt
   Pages           : 4
   Date            : 2014-08-11

Abstract:
  This memo presents a new Internet message header that allows the
  sender of Internet messages to provide hackerspace affiliation
  information to the recipients.  Recipients of Internet messages can
  use this header to look up the hackerspace affiliation of the sender
  of the message.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-learmonth-hackerspace-header/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-learmonth-hackerspace-header-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org<http://tools.ietf.org>.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 21:43:21 -0700 (PDT)

> Surely there is some more generic approach to the  labelling of such identities?

Like, say, an Affiliation: field? Whose value can have multiple levels on a par
with the Organization/Organizational Unit structure you find in LDAP or X.500
directories? And which can appear more than once if you're a joiner like Snug?

I suppose you could then have a FCFS value registry if you felt like there's
some need to have at least some pain assocated with this idea. Or better
yet, don't.

What am I missing here?

				Ned

---

From: "Iain R. Learmonth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 15:25:00 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 09:43:21PM -0700, Ned Freed wrote:
> > I am concerned that there are close to an infinite number of such
> > headers that might be requested, some neutral, some potentially of some
> > concern, but there is not the bandwidth to make them all RFCs.

I accept this point without any argument. This draft shows the use case I
was looking at, but I didn't think that this would ever become an RFC as it
is. It was published as an ID to solicit comments, and it has achieved its
goal.

> > I am not sure what others exist, but if there is not yet one for
> > hamradio there will be a request as soon as I get back from vacation.

As far as radio goes, if you're referring to callsign, I think this belongs
either in the from field as part of the name string. If you mean radio club,
then I would say that it fits nicely with the "Affiliation:" field described
below.

> > Then I am sure there will be requests for pretty much every social

This is definitely not my intention. I am aiming for a generic approach.

> directories? And which can appear more than once if you're a joiner like Snug?

This has been the best suggestion, and most popular.

The key is to seperate it from the Organisation: header's usage (even though
technically it shouldn't be appearing in mail).

The Organisation: header suggests (according to a quick poll of e-mail users
I've spoken to) that you represent the organisation. This is not the case
when it comes to a hackerspace (or radio club). You simply want to show that
you're a member of the group.

> some need to have at least some pain assocated with this idea. Or better

This would go too far and be outside the scope of what I'm aiming for.

So, taking things into consideration, I will be working on a new draft that
aims to do the following:

 * Look at current use of the Organisation: header and formalise its usage
   in the message header registry
 * Introduce an Affiliation: header and formalise its usage in the message
   header registry
 * Suggest a format for the string that may be used that includes both a
   name and a URL that can be used to identify the organisation
 * Suggest that the URL MAY contain some semantic web (RDFa or similar)
   resources that can tell you more about the organisation but that the way
   that that would be done is outside the scope of the document

The reason I would only suggest a format for the string used is that
Organisation headers are already in use and it would be unrealistic to ask
everyone to switch to using a specific format.

Thanks,
Iain.

-- 
e: [email-masked]            w: iain.learmonth.me
x: [email-masked]     t: +447875886930
c: MM6MVQ                  g: IO87we
p: 1F72 607C 5FF2 CCD5 3F01 600D 56FF 9EA4 E984 6C49