Subject: Re: gmail users read on...

From: Hector Santos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 10:12:21 -0400

The whole point of using theses alias or junk domains was to help protect your real professional domains and also get around some restrictions or slow down using your professional domain.

However, overtime, these junk domains have become more embedded in people's lives. They are using them more across more services.  It has become a "second life" for many. 

I'm old school, so I wonder how it had changed at the corporate level, I.e. Doing work related to your job using external domains.   But times are changing where it can be expected to have some external address, if only to get around some corporate restriction.  Just the other day, I had to use a customer's gmail address to get around an attachment IT filtering delay.  And I also have two subscriptions to this list. One using my non-corporate but professional address and one with gmail.  I had used it to compare acceptance and distribution delays.  

--
Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com

On Aug 29, 2014, at 11:36 AM, Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Counterpoint: I know of a 20person company that ran off google apps and gmail (under an owned domain)
> 
> Yes, using your own (or your company's, or your school's) domain name is fine - even with hosted email services like GMail and Yahoo Mail.  (In fact, if Yahoo Mail users choose use their own domain name - rather than "@yahoo.com" - then the email that they send won't be subject to DMARC.)  It's just the "@yahoo.com" or "@gmail.com" domain name that looks unprofessional.
> 
>    Ross.
> 
>

---

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:47:52 +1000

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 12:12 AM, Hector Santos <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The whole point of using theses alias or junk domains was to help protect
> your real professional domains and also get around some restrictions or
> slow down using your professional domain.
>
> However, overtime, these junk domains have become more embedded in
> people's lives. They are using them more across more services.  It has
> become a "second life" for many.
>
>
I have taken the overwhelming majority of *NOG and IETF WG list subscribes
out of my corporate identity into the cloud, for two reasons.

Firstly, the web tools have become significantly better to the point they
are actually significantly better than the MUA on my laptop for free-text
search, spamtag, sorting and keyboard accellerators.

Secondly, no matter how many times you say "my work does not own my
opinions" it remains a risk of taint both ways. I know my work INFORMS my
opinions. By using the throwaway generic mails I can establish to my own
satisfaction I said it, not my work role.

Where it gets complex is when you want to have your corporate, potentially
NDA covered work mail in the cloud. I'm not satisfied that the google
response (as an example) demands you accept US law and physical storage. If
they offered a guarantee its clouds lie inside my own polity, that works
better for me. I realise that there are significant players in other
economies who are delighted their content is not under the  hands of their
own law enforcement, but I have other issues.

G