Subject: Anyone have a link to a video of Einar Stefferud's presentation on the Inter-Network?

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 14:54:21 -0500

Two points:

1) Does anyone have a link to a video of Einar Stefferud's presentation on
the Inter-Network? The one where he shows how a network of networks is not
the same as a network etc.

He must have given it dozens of times and it was the best of its type.

2) We need to start getting the older pioneers down on video before we lose
their contributions.

I can find countless fluffy presentations by Vint Cerf and Tim Berners-Lee
explaining the Internet to the masses. What are much harder to find these
days are the presentations that a lecturer might want to tell undergrads
taking final year comp arch to watch.

Fluff has its place of course. But if we are not careful all we will be
leaving folk to read in a hundred years time is a large collection of fluff
and a large collection of highly technical contributions to technical
minutiae that have long ceased to be relevant.

Folk still fail to understand that in 1978, the idea that everyone would
eventually have a computer in their house was still a revolutionary one and
a distinctly minority one in the field.

Yes, I have sat through one argument on net neutrality in which it was
obvious neither side had the foggiest notion of what they were proposing or
the implications...

[I am attempting to collect this material into a vague semblance of order
at http://hallambaker.hallambaker.com/Professional/Architecture/]