Subject: Argentina with tourist visa ?

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 10:16:17 -0800

Jusst checking visa situation and it seems for german passport holders
you've got to get a visa if you travel on business, but none if you
travel as a tourist.

IETF is a tourist attraction of Buenos Aires, right ? Go visit the
geeks, celebrate the Internet, that kinda stuff, write philosophical
draft papers on the beach, right... ?

Seriously: i've never tried to figure out at which point in time
i'd need a business visa, i just did, but after the crazy paperwork
for india, i am all for avoiding having to deal with yet another
crazy visa if i can avoid it.

Cheers
    Toerless

---

From: Jared Mauch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 13:22:28 -0500

> On Dec 16, 2015, at 1:16 PM, Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

My understanding is these are mostly to “Work someplace”.  In the past
some countries people have gotten caught up around this.  Namely
Canada can be a bit quirky about this for americans.  You want to
say you’re there for a conference not fork “WORK” in most cases with
customs.

There is the issue of the Argentina “fee” which is like a visa, but
mostly just a tax.  This is common in various countries in the americas,
and is sometimes a nominal amount to be paid in only $cash USD.

My understanding is if you’ve got a passport (Eg: USA) that requires 
it, you pay your money and print the page to show the customs agent 
and you’re set.

I haven’t paid for that yet.

- jared

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Dec 2015 20:31:59 -0000

>it, you pay your money and print the page to show the customs agent 

If you are traveling on a passport from the United States, Canada, or
Australia you MUST pay the fee and get a receipt before you leave.
You cannot pay it when you arrive in Argentina.  Unless your airline
is unusually inept, they will not let you on the plane without it.

You register and pay the fee with a credit card on their web site.
Click the "SIGN UP" link under the login box here:

https://reciprocidad.provincianet.com.ar/

Once you get the receipt, print it out and put it in your passport.
For Americans and Canadians, it's good for a decade so hold on to it
in case you go back to Argentina.

R's,
John

PS: Brazil also charges a similar fee, Chile used to but doesn't any
more.

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 16:26:48 -0500 (EST)

> PS: Brazil also charges a similar fee, Chile used to but doesn't any

I remember some ICANN visitors noticed that only when they had landed
for their stopover in Santiago and needed to pay up. I don't know if
Brazil charges for this too on connecting flights.

Paul

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 01:06:51 -0300

> crazy visa if i can avoid it.

You need a business visa if you want to get employed here.

"Business" as in "attending a conference" doesn't require a visa. AFAIK,
we don't require visa to to most European citizens.

-- 
Fernando Gont
e-mail: [email-masked] || [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 7809 84F5 322E 45C7 F1C9 3945 96EE A9EF D076 FFF1

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 01:08:29 -0300

On 12/16/2015 03:22 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:
> mostly just a tax.  

Having applied and gone through the hassle of getting visas for a number
of countries I'd note that this is just a fee. :-)

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 01:13:47 -0300

> PS: Brazil also charges a similar fee, Chile used to but doesn't any

IIRC, brazil requires actual visas at least for US citizens.

---

From: Robert Withers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 23:38:45 -0500

If you pay a fee, your a customer and not a guest, it seems to me, yet 
the question remains to me: whether I could receive health and human 
services while I am there since I spent my money elsewhere? Could I be a 
bum in Buenas Aires or the Falls over that way back ...?  ;-)

-- 
. .. .. ^,^ best, robert

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 04:11:51 -0300

Robert,

> bum in Buenas Aires or the Falls over that way back ...?  ;-)

When I apply to a visa for the US, Canada, or Australia, I do pay a fee,
but also typically have to provide them with: bank statement, property
certificate and/or a combination of items that gives them a hint that I
am not planning to move to their country. That gets me the visa. Then
it's not unusual to go have a (much less than pleasant) experience at
border control. And I still I do not get health or human services.

Don't worry about health and human services in Argentina: Things like
healthcare and education are considered a right, rather than "goods"
that you have to pay for. (Yes, you also have private/paid versions of
those if you prefer).

Thanks,

---

From: Robert Withers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 02:20:23 -0500

Very cool, perhaps one day I'll get there, learn how to make some 
emplanados. :) I want to drive to Patagonia one year. I think it is 
Iguyzos Falls over there by Paraguay? I believe my road may lay past 
there. Go sailing by Santiago.  ahh yes.

-- 
. .. .. ^,^ best, robert

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 05:08:41 -0300

On 12/17/2015 04:20 AM, Robert Withers wrote:
> emplanados. :) 

Empanadas? :-) -- yes, they are very tasty, and there are lots of
regional varieties..

If you're into beef, you'll enjoy the food. For some reson people also
get surprised that we have ice-cream delivery (i.e., you can order
ice-cream on the phone, and they'll bring it to your home).

> I want to drive to Patagonia one year. I think it is

If you go, you should check the Perito Moreno glacier:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=perito+moreno+glacier&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X>

and probably Punta Tombo:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=punta+tombo+argentina&safe=off&biw=1366&bih=615&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2>
for the penguins.

North part of the country is pretty too, and quite different in so many
ways (geography, culture, etc.):
<https://www.google.com/search?q=norte+argentina&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ>

> there. 

Iguazu Falls
(https://www.google.com/search?q=iguazu+falls&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X)
are on the border with Brazil. -- typical thing is to visit them on both
sides (one bus ride away from each other).

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 14:27:30 +0200

I have been to Argentina, and I never needed a visa. I come
from Finland of course but that seems to apply EU-wide:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_European_Union_citizens

Jari

---

From: Robert Withers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 17:51:00 -0500

I would love to be there!  Thanks for the links.

-- 
. .. .. ^,^ robert