Subject: Security and Privacy Implications of Numeric Identifiers Employed in Network Protocols (Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gont-predictable-numeric-ids-00.txt)

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 15:05:23 -0300

Folks,

We have published a new IETF I-D entitled "Security and Privacy
Implications of Numeric Identifiers Employed in Network Protocols".

It sheds light on the security and privacy implications of predictable
numeric identifiers, which have affected (and still affect) several IETF
protocols for ages, and that in some cases (such as IPv6 IIDs) can be
leveraged for pervasive monitoring.

The I-D is available here:
<https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-predictable-numeric-ids-00.txt>

For the time being, at least, we expect discussion to happen on the SAAG
mailing-list (<[email-masked]>).

Your feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Fernando

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-gont-predictable-numeric-ids-00.txt
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 08:29:45 -0800
From: [email-masked]
To: Ivan Arce <[email-masked]>, Fernando Gont
<[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-gont-predictable-numeric-ids-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Fernando Gont and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-gont-predictable-numeric-ids
Revision:	00
Title:		Security and Privacy Implications of Numeric Identifiers
Employed in Network Protocols
Document date:	2016-02-04
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		32
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-predictable-numeric-ids-00.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gont-predictable-numeric-ids/
Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-predictable-numeric-ids-00

Abstract:
   This document performs an analysis of the security and privacy
   implications of different types of "numeric identifiers" used in IETF
   protocols, and tries to categorize them based on their
   interoperability requirements and the assoiated failure severity when
   such requirements are not met.  It describes a number of algorithms
   that have been employed in real implementations to meet such
   requirements and analyzes their security and privacy properties.
   Additionally, it provides advice on possible algorithms that could be
   employed to satisfy the interoperability requirements of each
   identifier type, while minimizing the security and privacy
   implications, thus providing guidance to protocol designers and
   protocol implementers.  Finally, it provides recommendations for
   future protocol specifications regarding the specification of the
   aforementioned numeric identifiers.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat