Subject: Re: the names that aren't DNS names problem, was Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt>

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 09:49:08 -0700

On 7/24/2015 6:58 AM, Richard Shockey wrote:
> The cost problem is getting out of hand around
> here, but the real causation is endless process delays.

I believe someone around here did an analysis of the allocation of 
calendar time, for various parts of the sequence to create a proposed 
standard.

I certainly agree that process overhead could be better and probably 
much better, but I hope no one is surprised to hear that the analysis 
showed that deliberations by the IESG, IETF Last Call, and even RFC 
Editor handling are usually a small fraction of the calendar budget.

Working groups often think nothing of taking years to develop something 
that probably could have been done in months, if the working group 
seriously thought the issue urgent and were willing to create and 
sustain serious focus on solving the issue that prompted creation of the 
effort.

I'll bet one could generate a number of legitimate examples amongst the 
current inventory of working groups, if one wanted to...

d/

-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net