Subject: Opsdir last call review of draft-atarius-dispatch-meid-urn-13

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 07:46:15 -0800

Reviewer: Tim Chown
Review result: Ready

Hi,

I have reviewed this document as part of the Operational directorate’s ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
comments were written with the intent of improving the operational aspects of
the IETF drafts. Comments that are not addressed in last call may be included
in AD reviews during the IESG review. Document editors and WG chairs should
treat these comments just like any other last call comments.

This document describes a Uniform Resource Name (URN) namespace for the Third
Generation Partnership Project (3GPP2) and a Namespace Specific String (NSS)
for the Mobile Equipment Identity (MEID).  Devices supporting only 3GPP2  have
a requirement to be able to use an MEID as a URN.  This document presents the
MEID, describing its format, and includes recommendations on privacy
requirements when MEIDs are transmitted, and that MEIDs not be used for
authorisation purposes or as personal identifiers.

Review result: Ready with Nits

This document is well-written and clear to follow.

Nits:

The figure on page 7 should perhaps extend the bottom line with an extra --+ to
clearly indicate that only the first 4 bits of the 8th octet are used for the
check digit.

Section 8: "provider's customer" should be "providers' customer"
It is good to see discussion of privacy and security issues here. Perhaps state
that as a general privacy principle, only the minimal information required
should be transmitted in any protocol.  RFC7258 could be mentioned; though the
scope over which MEIDs may be transmitted is not wholly clear.

Tim

---

From: R Atarius <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 23:56:32 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Tim,
please see my comments below
thanksRoozbeh

      From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
 To: [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
 Sent: Friday, December 8, 2017 7:46 AM
 Subject: Opsdir last call review of draft-atarius-dispatch-meid-urn-13
   
Reviewer: Tim Chown
Review result: Ready

Hi,

Nits:

<Roozbeh> OK!

<Roozbeh> OK!

<Roozbeh> There is a recommendation for hop-to-hop and end-to-end encryption for carrying MEID URN. The minimal required information is the MEID URN, therefore I would like to keep it as it is,  if that's OK with you.

Tim

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 10:37:45 +0000

Hi Roozbeh,

That’s fine.

Tim 

> On 18 Dec 2017, at 23:56, R Atarius <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hello Tim,
> 
> thanks
> Roozbeh