Subject: Idea about automated verification for OV SSL certificates

From: Matthias Merkel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2017 10:58:03 +0100

I had the following idea about automating verification and issuance of OV SSL certificates: Couldn't a CA in theory use the D&B API to check the company name, address and phone number and then place an automatic call? That's basically what most CAs do anyways so is there any reason why they couldn't do it? That would also be a way for Let's Encrypt to issue OV certificates and code signing certificates.

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 08:30:06 -0800

Hi Matthias,

The working group for this topic is ACME ([email-masked]), so you might want
to redirect your comment there.

regards,

Ted

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 1:58 AM, Matthias Merkel <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> I had the following idea about automating verification and issuance of OV
> SSL certificates: Couldn't a CA in theory use the D&B API to check the
> company name, address and phone number and then place an automatic call?
> That's basically what most CAs do anyways so is there any reason why they
> couldn't do it? That would also be a way for Let's Encrypt to issue OV
> certificates and code signing certificates.
>
>