Subject: Opsdir last call review of draft-farrel-sfc-convent-05

From: Zitao Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 16:15:39 -0800

Reviewer: Zitao Wang
Review result: Ready

I have reviewed this document as part of the Operational directorate’s ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
comments were written with the intent of improving the operational aspects of
the IETF drafts. Comments that are not addressed in last call may be included
in AD reviews during the IESG review.  Document editors and WG chairs should
treat these comments just like any other last call comments.

Document reviewed:draft-farrel-sfc-convent-05

Summary:

This document describes the use of the Network Service Header (NSH) in a
Service Function Chaining (SFC) enabled network with no payload data and
carrying only metadata.  This is achieved by defining a new NSH "Next Protocol"
type value of "None". This document illustrates some of the functions that may
be achieved or enhanced by this mechanism, but it does not provide an
exhaustive list of use cases, nor is it intended to be definitive about the
functions it describes.  It is expected that other documents will describe
specific use cases in more detail and will define the protocol mechanics for
each use case.

Major issue: None

Minor issue: Suggest adding a termnology section to introduce the abbreviations
which be used in this document, such as SFP, NSH, SF, SFI, etc.

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 08:48:57 -0000

Thanks for the review Zitao,

I'm disinclined to add a terminology section to a short draft that just defines one code point in a simple increment to RFC 8300.

If we did, we would position it after the Introduction. But I checked, and all of the acronyms and abbreviations (except DCN) are expanded in the Introduction, so we would just be adding repetition.

Additionally, the Introduction also includes...

   This document uses the terms defined in [RFC7665] and
   [I-D.ietf-sfc-nsh].

Nevertheless, if the ADs think this would be helpful, it is easy enough to add. I await their review.

Thanks,
Adrian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ietf [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Zitao Wang
> Sent: 30 January 2018 00:16
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Opsdir last call review of draft-farrel-sfc-convent-05
> 
> Reviewer: Zitao Wang
> Review result: Ready
>