Subject: thank you

From: "Aaron Falk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 15:06:45 -0400

Dear Elders,

re: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-elders-social-media-apology-00

Thank you for reading my mind.  I only wish I had written this.

--aaron

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 22:15:55 -0700

“…you may have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of opprobrium,
outrage, hate speech and overall bile…”

 I respectfully submit for your consideration that an Oxford comma might be
appropriate.  Also, what ##!$!! kind of %#$@! ^!%$ thinking is that, you
%#$% bunch of *#$! #&@$^% *&$#@.

-- 
- Tim Bray (If you’d like to send me a private message, see
https://keybase.io/timbray)

---

From: "Kevin A. McGrail" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 07:55:22 -0400

On 7/19/2018 1:15 AM, Tim Bray wrote:
> “…you may have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of
> opprobrium, outrage, hate speech and overall bile…” 
>
>  I respectfully submit for your consideration that an Oxford comma
> might be appropriate.  Also, what ##!$!! kind of %#$@! ^!%$ thinking
> is that, you %#$% bunch of *#$! #&@$^% *&$#@.

Tim,

Oh, fine, you bastards on the other side of the pond want to tell us how
to do things?  The Oxford comma is dead to us rebel colonists.

For those who don't know the controversy of Oxford vs AP style guide,
here's an intro:
https://www.grammarly.com/blog/what-is-the-oxford-comma-and-why-do-people-care-so-much-about-it/

This should be covered in RFC 2119*.  We need a wg immediately to fix this*!

Cheers to fellow grammarians,

KAM

* RFC 2119 itself is using Oxford commas :-)

** Nerf Gun Duel at Dawn***

*** for more Drama with a nice sunrise in the back, water and perhaps on
a beach with John Woo trained birds that can take flight at the
appropriate point for optimal photography****

**** and Margaritas***** NOTE: the lack of an Oxford comma in point 3. 
It's hidden with misdirection on purpose.

***** the drink, not women named Margarita

BTW, while we are off-topic, what's the rule where things should be
parallel in your sentence structure?  I've been looking for the name of
that rule since grammar school.  For example, "we will be jumping,
fighting and go swim" is bad.  "jumping, fighting and swimming" is good.

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 10:07:50 -0400

Kevin,

> that rule since grammar school.  For example, "we will be jumping, fighting
> and go swim" is bad.  "jumping, fighting and swimming" is good.

It’s called “consistency”. :-)

Cheers,
Andy

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 09:10:31 -0500

Hi folks,

Just a reminder: this is the IETF discussion list, not a grammar workshop
or argument clinic [1].  So it'd be best to let this thread finish
gracefully.

-Ben

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_Clinic