Subject: Mailinglist archives questions

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 14:46:15 +0200

Hi all,

Corinne (cc) and I are doing some qualitative and quantitative analysis
of IETF and IRTF mailinglists (partially using BigBang [0]). While doing
this we found out that there are some discrepancies between different
mailinglist archives. For instance compare these two:

https://ietf.org/mail-archive/text/hrpc/

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/hrpc/?so=date#

One start in April 2015, and the other starts in October 2014. This can
be attributed to a mailinglist migration, but it begs the question which
archive is authoritative, and why are there two different archives?

Another related question is whether there is a list or mailinglists that
are used for RGs and WGs that are not being hosted here:
https://ietf.org/mail-archive/text

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best,

Niels and Corinne

[0] https://github.com/datactive/bigbang/
-- 
Niels ten Oever
Researcher and PhD Candidate
Datactive Research Group
University of Amsterdam

PGP fingerprint	   2458 0B70 5C4A FD8A 9488
                   643A 0ED8 3F3A 468A C8B3

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 13:40:43 -0700

Hi Niels,
>One start in April 2015, and the other starts in October 2014. This can

I suggest contacting ietf-action@ about the above.

>archive is authoritative, and why are there two different archives?

The MHonarc archives used to be the archives of the IETF mailing 
lists.  In 2012, there were a new set of requirements for archiving 
IETF mailing lists.  mailarchive.ietf.org was implemented a few years 
back.  I vaguely recall that the IAOC discussed about whether to keep 
MHonarc running.  As there hasn't been any decision to turn off 
MHonarc, there are two mailing list archives.  The question of which 
archive is authoritative has not been raised up till now.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 09:04:27 +1200

On 13/07/2018 08:40, S Moonesamy wrote:
> MHonarc, there are two mailing list archives.  

Some people still greatly prefer MHonarc. I've been trying to train
myself to use the new format...

> The question of which 

They should be identical, in theory, I think. And of course some
older lists have been lost, I believe,from the time before all
lists were hosted at ietf.org.

   Brian

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 17:14:07 -0400

> myself to use the new format...

The new format is improving too, so thanks to all that are working on it!

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 21:56:54 +0200

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 09:04:27AM +1200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> They should be identical, in theory, I think. 

Problem is that they are not - so I think we should run an sync on the archives and seek out where they are out of sync. Who should I reach out to for this? Happy to help find anomalies.

Best,

Niels

> And of course some

-- 

Niels ten Oever

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 18:43:21 -0400

Niels,

A good place to start is [email-masked]

Cheers,
Andy

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 3:56 PM, Niels ten Oever <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Problem is that they are not - so I think we should run an sync on the
> archives and seek out where they are out of sync. Who should I reach out to
> for this? Happy to help find anomalies.
>
> Best,
>
> Niels
>
> > And of course some

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 14:25:38 -0400

Niels -

The suggestion to contact ietf-action@ when you spot a discrepancy is 
correct. You shouldn't find many, and the ones you find will likely deal 
with edge cases encountered when importing a list from somewhere else 
(or, as we have done in the past, having a local subscription to an 
externally hosted list).

There are more than 2 stores that could be come discrepant. We have been 
working for some time to get to a point where we have a single source of 
truth that any other views are derived from so that we don't encounter 
this going forward.

RjS

---

From: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 08:04:53 +0000

Hi,

> https://ietf.org/mail-archive/text

there were certainly lists for research groups that were not hosted on the IETF servers. The concluded groups sub-pages under https://irtf.org/groups may have some information.

Lars