Subject: Re: Nomcom 2019-2020 Call For Volunteers

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 21:16:52 +0300

On 30/5/19 20:10, Michael StJohns wrote:
> On 5/29/2019 9:06 PM, NomCom Chair 2019 wrote:
>>
>> As a member of the NomCom it is very important that you be able to
>> attend IETF 106 (Singapore) to conduct interviews. Being at IETF 105
>> (Montreal) is useful for orientation.  Being at IETF 107 (Vancouver)
>> is not essential.
>>
> We probably need to try to have the 3rd meeting of the year rotate
> among  Asia, Europe and North America to make Nomcom a bit more evenly
> accessible.  Singapore will be 5 in a row for Asia. Before that it was 3
> for NA, 3 for Asia and then a very long string of NA locations.

If attendance to meetings are mandatory, why not make them a formal
requirement? (*)  Otherwise, this gets tricky for nomcom members, since
you are required to do something that's not formally a requirement. And
becausethis is not formally a requirement, it may be also harder to get
funding for nomcom member to attend such meetings.

OTOH, if they are not a formal requirement, why not mae remote
participation tools do the trick?

(*) By no means I'm proposing that this becomes a requirement. Actually,
quite the opposite.

Thanks,
-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492