Subject: Is the IETF missing a disclosure policy?

From: Rob Sayre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 21:34:23 -0700

Hi,

I've been participating in some IETF DNS mailing lists, and I'm finding
them pretty strange.

I get a lot of questionable messages that seem to attack me personally.
Some level of animosity might be expected, since I tend to claim that the
various DNS working groups are collectively not very good at security. This
doesn't seem like a completely outlandish claim to me, but reasonable
people can disagree.

One thing I have noticed is that I get a lot of public, aggressive messages
from people that sell DNS-filtering software to ISPs. I had to do a little
bit of internet searching to figure this out, and it's definitely not
obvious from their email messages alone.

While I understand and respect the reason that the IETF maintains that
participants are here as individuals, it also seems like an ethical problem
that some people do not state how they are getting paid, when that matter
could constitute a conflict.

thanks,
Rob