Subject: Re: Internationalization

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 16:13:36 -0700

Hi John,
At 09:11 AM 24-07-2019, John C Klensin wrote:
>The IETF has a so-called internationalization ("i18n") problem.
>One version of that problem is that we have general consensus
>that the isssues are important if we care about a global
>Internet serving a very broad range of people ... and most of us
>seem to believe that.  A BoF was held here a year ago.  It
>concluded that a directorate would help move issues and
>documents forward.  It has, but not much. Getting document
>reviews there has been painful; getting the real interactions
>among people with multiple types of expertise (absolutely
>critical for this work because  there isn't anyone knows who
>quite enough by themselves) even more difficult.  I hope we will
>still be able to move a few clarifying documents forward, but
>more fundamental work eems impossible.

There were two directorate reviews over the last seven months.  My 
guess is that it is unlikely that the directorate will achieve 
significant results in the short term.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy