Subject: IAB report to the community

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 09:23:54 +0800

Dear Colleagues,

Here is the IAB report for the period between IETF 105 and IETF 106.  If 
you have topics or issues you want to discuss by email, feel free to 
send your comments to [email-masked] (our public 
discussion list) or [email-masked] (to reach just the IAB).  Questions at 
the open mic at the IETF 106 plenary are, of course, also welcome.

The IAB has a few chartered roles. It confirms the appointments to the 
IESG, performs standards process oversight, and handles appeals. It also 
performs architectural oversight (including appointing the IRTF Chair), 
appoints the RFC series editor and oversight committee, manages the 
IETF's relationship with IANA, and handles liaisons and appointments 
both to ISOC and to other organizations.

Here's what the IAB has been doing since our last report; more detail on 
many of the topics is available at https://www.iab.org.

There were no appeals during this period.

The IAB made one public statement during this period, calling out the 
unintended consequences of policy and regulatory proposals 
<https://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/2019-2/avoiding-unintended-harm-to-internet-infrastructure/>.

As part of its appointments role, the IAB has filled a number of 
positions since our last report.   Notable among them was Adrian Farrel 
being re-appointed as Independent Submissions Editor 
<https://www.iab.org/2019/11/05/reappointment-of-adrian-farrel-as-independent-submissions-editor/>for 
a new two-year term, beginning in February of 2020.  The IAB thanks 
Adrian for his continuing service.

The IAB also appointed Peter Koch to the ICANN NomCom 
<https://www.iab.org/2019/08/20/iab-appoints-peter-koch-to-icann-2020-nomcom/>.

In addition, the IAB has opened nominations for the Internet Society 
Board of Trustees selection 
<https://www.iab.org/2019/11/12/call-for-nominations-ietf-appointment-to-the-isoc-board-of-trustees-6/>.  
Sean Turner, the incumbent, has now served two terms in succession and 
is thus not eligible for another term.  The IAB thanks him for service, 
and we encourage candidates to apply or to contact the IAB for more details.

        IAB DOCUMENTS

You can always find the documents the IAB has adopted and is working on 
athttps://datatracker.ietf.org/stream/iab.

One cluster of IAB documents are those that originally arose out of the 
IASA 2 effort.  Of those, the following drafts are currently are 
currently in the queue for publication:

draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc4844-bis-05 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc4844-bis/>: The 
RFC Series and RFC Editor

draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc6220bis-04 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc6220bis/>: 
Defining the Role and Function of IETF Protocol Parameter Registry Operators

draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc6548bis-02 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc6548bis/>: 
Independent Submission Editor

draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc6635bis-04 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc6635bis/>: RFC 
Editor Model (Version 2)

In addition, draft-iab-fiftyyears-01 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-fiftyyears/>: Fifty Years of 
RFCs, the RSE’s review of the RFC Series first 50 years, is in queue.

A number of other drafts are in preparation or community review, and 
comments on these are welcome at [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>or in comments to the IAB:

draft-iab-escape-report-00 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-escape-report/>: Report from 
the IAB Workshop on Exploring Synergy between Content Aggregation and 
the Publisher Ecosystem (ESCAPE)

draft-iab-for-the-users-00 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-for-the-users/>: The 
Internet is for End Users

draft-iab-protocol-maintenance-04 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-protocol-maintenance/>: The 
Harmful Consequences of the Robustness Principle

draft-iab-rfc7500-bis-00 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-rfc7500-bis/>: Principles 
for Operation of Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Registries

draft-iab-use-it-or-lose-it-00 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-use-it-or-lose-it/>: 
Long-term Viability of Protocol Extension Mechanisms

PROGRAMS

The IAB organizes its long term work, for the most part, into programs. 
  There are basically two classes: management programs and architectural 
programs.  The former are how we handle the oversight of various things, 
and the latter are where we do architectural work.  The former are 
expected to last as long as the IAB continues to have that oversight 
function; the latter last until the IAB has come to a conclusion on the 
relevant group of topics or has decided that the topic needs to be 
reframed.  Programs are listed at 
https://www.iab.org/activities/programs/. As a general rule, each 
architectural program has a public mailing list, as well as a 
member-specific list.  For subscription instructions, see 
https://www.iab.org/iab-mailing-lists/.

Among the management programs, RSOC 
<https://www.iab.org/activities/programs/rfc-editor-program/>is no doubt 
top of mind for many folks because of the RSE transition.  Among its 
activities were a consultation with the community on that transition and 
the preparation of an SOW for an interim RFC Series Project Manager.  
The IAB transmitted that to the IETF LLC on October 2nd and the IETF LLC 
subsequently issued an RFP.

        WORKSHOPS

There were no workshops during this period, but the workshop reports are 
in preparation for the Exploring Synergy between Content Aggregation and 
the Publisher Ecosystem 
<https://www.iab.org/activities/workshops/escape-workshop/>(ESCAPE) 
workshop and the  Design Expectations vs. Deployment Reality in Protocol 
Development 
<https://www.iab.org/activities/workshops/dedr-workshop/>(DEDR) workshop.

Respectfully submitted,

Ted Hardie

for the IAB

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 14:01:28 +1300

Thanks for the report, Ted. However I do want to raise one issue. You say:...
> The IAB has a few chartered roles. It ... appoints the RFC series editor and oversight committee,... 

Actually the charter (RFC850, BCP39) does not say that. What it says is:

"The IAB must approve the appointment of an organization to
act as RFC Editor and the general policy followed by the RFC Editor."

I think that at the moment it's important to distinguish what is formally
chartered by BCP from what is current practice.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 10:38:55 +0800

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the review.

> act as RFC Editor and the general policy followed by the RFC Editor."

I'm happy to take a PR for future iterations of the report.  RFC 2850 is 
the charter and has the text you cite.  At the moment, the mechanisms by 
which it is carried out is in RFC 6635, Section 2.1, which says:

    The RSE is appointed by the IAB, but formally hired by the IAOC.  The
    IAB delegates the direct oversight over the RSE to the RSOC, which it
    appoints.

The reference to the IAOC is changed in 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc6635bis/, which is 
currently in the RFC Editor's queue.

All of this may change as the result of the ongoing community 
discussions, but if you have a pithy way of summarizing all of that that 
we can use until it does change, as I said, I'd be happy to have it to hand.

regards,

Ted Hardie

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 13:06:37 +1300

Hi Ted,

On 18-Nov-19 15:38, Ted Hardie wrote:
> I'm happy to take a PR for future iterations of the report.  RFC 2850 is the charter and has the text you cite.  At the moment, the mechanisms by which it is carried out is in RFC 6635, Section 2.1, which says:
> 
> The reference to the IAOC is changed in https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc6635bis/, which is currently in the RFC Editor's queue. 
> 
> All of this may change as the result of the ongoing community discussions, but if you have a pithy way of summarizing all of that that we can use until it does change, as I said, I'd be happy to have it to hand.

I've mulled it over, and I think that wordsmithing this before the RSEME discussion has advanced somewhat would be rather pointless. I will file this away for now, but perhaps come back to it before IETF 107.

Regards
    Brian