Subject: Re: Spelling, Grammar and Style in Internet Drafts

From: tom petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 17:22:58 +0100

On 31/07/2020 18:43, Ron Bonica wrote:
> Folks,
> IETF workload might be reduced if presentation were addressed early in a document's life cycle. To achieve this goal:
>
>    *   Could the RFC editor recommend a few software tools that draft authors can use to check spelling, grammar, and style (e.g., Grammarly, Hemmingway, ProWritingAid)?
>    *   Could authors use these tools before submitting Internet Drafts?
>    *   Could WG chairs and document shepherds use these tools to evaluate documents before adopting or progressing them.

Ron

I have come to ignore questions of spelling and style until late in the 
day.  I used to apply polish early on but then the text got hacked about 
and the polish was lost so now I leave it until WGLC when the text is 
hopefully more stable (unless I find the text ambiguous or unclear).  I 
did once buy 'American English Usage and Style' whilst at an IETF 
meeting but, for me, it does not do what it says on the tin so I use the 
RFC Editor notes and my (en-UK) experience.

Tom Petch

>                                                                 Ron

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 14:57:34 -0400

The reason I spent so much time developing a Word->xml3RFC document
conversion tool was so I could edit documents using the built in spelling
and grammar checking provided by Word and its ilk.

The Word document format is an open standard. The tool runs on Linux, OSX
and Windows. It requires no additional libraries and can be run on a
machine without Word installed.

I keep meaning to provide a hosted version. The reason I don't is that my
own specs are built from multiple source files (examples, reference
sections, SVG etc.) and it is difficult to see how a hosted app can really
work if the user has to upload multiple files.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 1:45 PM Ron Bonica <rbonica=
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> IETF workload might be reduced if presentation were addressed early in a
> document’s life cycle. To achieve this goal:
>
>    - Could the RFC editor recommend a few software tools that draft
>    authors can use to check spelling, grammar, and style (e.g., Grammarly,
>    Hemmingway, ProWritingAid)?
>    - Could authors use these tools before submitting Internet Drafts?
>    - Could WG chairs and document shepherds use these tools to evaluate
>    documents before adopting or progressing them.
>
>                                                                Ron
>
>
>
> Juniper Business Use Only
>