Subject: spam on the webdav list

From: Timothy Mcsweeney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 06:28:23 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I'm not sure who is in charge of the webdav mailing list but it has a couple years worth of spam on it.

Tim

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 12:41:22 +0200

> couple years worth of spam on it.

Please be more specific. What exact mailing list are you referring to?

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Timothy Mcsweeney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 06:44:04 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry, I was speaking of <
">https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/webdav/>

On August 20, 2020 at 6:41 AM Julian Reschke <
[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi,

I'm not sure who is in charge of the webdav mailing list but it has a

couple years worth of spam on it.

Tim

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 12:53:22 +0200

Am 20.08.2020 um 12:44 schrieb Timothy Mcsweeney:
> <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/webdav/>

Interesting. It seems that at some point this was a mirror of the
*actual* WG list, hosted by the W3C (see
<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/>).

I wasn't even aware it existed.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Timothy Mcsweeney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 07:05:18 -0400 (EDT)

Here is another one with spam on it

mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/zeroconf

Should I go through the Active lists(mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse) and find all the ones with spam?  I'm not sure who to give that info to?

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 13:35:31 +0000

*   Should I go through the Active lists(mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse) and find all the ones with spam?  I'm not sure who to give that info to?

No.

Editing archives is a slippery slope, don’t go there.

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 10:00:52 -0400

> Editing archives is a slippery slope, don’t go there.
+1

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 09:02:00 -0500

For lists like the ones expressed so for, our local archive was created 
by subscribing an address to the external list. Such addresses have been 
susceptible to receiving spam directly, so our copy of the archive 
accrued messages that were never set to the original list. When this has 
happened, it's typically been to a list where real traffic stopped 
accumulating years ago. In more recent years, we have stressed having 
IETF hosted lists for IETF work.

We do have a mechanic for moving such spam messages away, in an manner 
that leaves a clear record of what happened. When such puddles are 
discovered, sending a note to [email-masked] about them is reasonable.

RjS

On 8/20/20 8:35 AM, Salz, Rich wrote:
>
>   * Should I go through the Active
>     lists(mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse) and find all the ones with
>     spam?  I'm not sure who to give that info to?
>
> No.
>