Subject: request for examples (via private mail) of IETF list participants showing lack of respect and empathy

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 23:30:22 -0400

Reading these messages I'm struck my the extreme polarization between 
people who think IETF list participants showed a lack of respect, and 
people who think IETF leadership showed a lack of respect.   While I 
certainly agree that the IETF mailing list discussion has been extremely 
upsetting - I've hardly slept the past two days - I'm one of those in 
the latter category of participants.

If anyone would care to cite examples (via private mail, please) of 
messages from IETF participants other than leadership that showed lack 
of respect and empathy, and explain why this is the case, I would 
appreciate it.   I'm trying to understand for myself the nature of those 
complaints.   I am also curious as to whether I noticed those messages 
on first reading, and am just more sensitive to censorship than I am to 
"lack of respect and empathy", or whether people are complaining about 
things that I didn't notice at all on first reading.

More broadly, I suspect that this polarization has been a problem for 
IETF for some time, and will continue to be a problem.   But I'm 
wondering if it's possible to eventually develop some shared 
understanding and common ground.    I realize that I'm asking a personal 
favor and that others might also benefit from the comparison.   But I 
don't think the list would appreciate an open discussion of this right now.

I specifically don't want to get into an argument about this, even in 
private mail.   I'm just wanting to try to understand others' 
perspectives.   If people who send me mail want to know my reaction, 
please say so, but I won't trouble you with it unless you ask.   I will 
also keep these replies to myself unless you specifically state that 
they may be shared.

Thanks very much,

Keith