Subject: Fwd: Anyone willing to speak on the record about Pompeo's China proposal?

From: Dave Burstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 08:35:59 -0400

Folks

Strong stuff and reporters are jumping in hard. There will be a great deal
of misinformation. I thought to reach out to some truly knowledgeable
people for my own work and other reporters who ask me.

On my own work, I am happy to check any quotes with you before publishing
for accuracy.

Dave
347-603-6442
Here's the text

Announcing the Expansion of the Clean Network to Safeguard America’s Assets

PRESS STATEMENT

MICHAEL R. POMPEO, SECRETARY OF STATE

AUGUST 5, 2020

Share
The Clean Network program is the Trump Administration’s comprehensive
approach to guarding our citizens’ privacy and our companies’ most
sensitive information from aggressive intrusions by malign actors, such as
the Chinese Communist Party (CCP). Today, I am announcing the launch of
five new lines of effort to protect America’s critical telecommunications
and technology infrastructure.

These programs are rooted in internationally accepted digital trust
standards and built upon the 5G Clean Path initiative, announced on April
29, 2020, to secure data traveling on 5G networks into U.S. diplomatic
facilities overseas and within the United States.

The five new lines of effort for the Clean Network are as follows:

   - Clean Carrier: To ensure untrusted People’s Republic of China (PRC)
   carriers are not connected with U.S. telecommunications networks. Such
   companies pose a danger to U.S. national security and should not provide
   international telecommunications services to and from the United States.
   - Clean Store: To remove untrusted applications from U.S. mobile app
   stores. PRC apps threaten our privacy, proliferate viruses, and spread
   propaganda and disinformation. American’s most sensitive personal and
   business information must be protected on their mobile phones from
   exploitation and theft for the CCP’s benefit.
   - Clean Apps: To prevent untrusted PRC smartphone manufacturers from
   pre-installing –or otherwise making available for download – trusted apps
   on their apps store. Huawei, an arm of the PRC surveillance state, is
   trading on the innovations and reputations of leading U.S. and foreign
   companies. These companies should remove their apps from Huawei’s app store
   to ensure they are not partnering with a human rights abuser.
   - Clean Cloud: To prevent U.S. citizens’ most sensitive personal
   information and our businesses’ most valuable intellectual property,
   including COVID-19 vaccine research, from being stored and processed on
   cloud-based systems accessible to our foreign adversaries through companies
   such as Alibaba, Baidu, and Tencent.
   - Clean Cable: To ensure the undersea cables connecting our country to
   the global internet are not subverted for intelligence gathering by the PRC
   at hyper scale. We will also work with foreign partners to ensure that
   undersea cables around the world aren’t similarly subject to compromise.

Momentum for the Clean Network program is growing. More than thirty
countries and territories are now Clean Countries, and many of the world’s
biggest telecommunications companies are Clean Telcos. All have committed
to exclusively using trusted vendors in their Clean Networks.

The United States calls on our allies and partners in government and
industry around the world to join the growing tide to secure our data from
the CCP’s surveillance state and other malign entities. Building a Clean
fortress around our citizens’ data will ensure all of our nations’ security.

-- 
Editor, https://Fastnet.news <http://Fastnet.news> https://wirelessone.news
<http://wirelessone.news>
Reply "sub" for a free subscription to Fast Net News and Wireless One

-- 
Editor, https://Fastnet.news <http://Fastnet.news> https://wirelessone.news
<http://wirelessone.news>
Reply "sub" for a free subscription to Fast Net News and Wireless One