Subject: dealing with AD reviews in the week before the IESG call

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2020 21:34:48 -0400

Hi,

I have heard that revising IDs in the week before they are on the IESG call
makes Area Directors *grumpy*, because they wind up reviewing different
versions.

On the other hand, I would prefer to clear all DISCUSSes
make it clear that COMMENTs, are being dealt with.
ADs have, I think, limited L1 CPU cache and responding to them as fast as
possible seems to be a good idea.

It seems that the answer is to:
  1) reply ASAP, with git commits/diffs attached.
  2) do not publish new IDs until all the changes from all reviews are
     collected.
  3) publish a revised ID sometime on Thursday morning.  Just before
     the meeting?  Or just after?

Asking for a friend. :-)

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 11:29:13 -0400

Speaking only for myself: I would always prefer to be reviewing the
latest version available at the time I'm reviewing, and I don't care
whether it's not the same version that another AD reviewed, nor that I
might start reviewing one version and see another posted before I'm
done.

In other words, I'd rather have updates posted when the judgment of
the authors, working groups, and sponsoring ADs says they should be.

Barry

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 12:32:37 -0400

> the authors, working groups, and sponsoring ADs says they should be.

Me too! Update early, update often. If I comment on an older version,
and the issues have already been addressed, thats perfectly fine /
preferred...

W

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf

---

From: "Rob Wilton (rwilton)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 14:39:51 +0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: iesg <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Warren Kumari
> Sent: 09 August 2020 17:33
> To: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
> Cc: IESG <[email-masked]>; Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>; IETF
> discussion list <[email-masked]>; Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: dealing with AD reviews in the week before the IESG call
> 
[RW] 

Agreed.  As long as the authors accept that some reviews/comments may be against older versions, then responsive authors fixing the text as the reviews come in generally seems like a good thing.  If an AD is reviewing a document closer to the telechat deadline, then generally any improvements that have already been made to the text normally makes the document easier/quicker to review.

Regards,
Rob

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 15:33:45 -0700

> Agreed.  As long as the authors accept that some reviews/comments may be against older versions, then responsive authors fixing the text as the reviews come in generally seems like a good thing.  I…

I'm of a similar opinion as Warren, Barry, and Rob -- I'm happy to see
fixes get posted in a new I-D so that I can review the "latest and
greatest" that's available.  I do make a note of which version I'm
reviewing, at least in my local notes, so that I have an easier time
tracking things down if a new version is posted before I'm done.

That said, you can always ask the AD responsible for the document in
question whether you should upload a new version; they should have a pretty
good idea for the general sense of the IESG at that time.

-Ben

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 21:33:58 -0700

> good idea for the general sense of the IESG at that time.

This.

I think the times it's a problem are those where different ADs have
reviewed versions that were meaningfully different.  In that case, what
we're able to discuss during the telechat might be muddled and less
efficient than if we all had the same issues in mind.

It does all have a way of working itself out though.

-MSK