Subject: [IETFMIBS] Enumerations with underscores

From: "Eduardo Cardona" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:03:08 -0600

Hi, 

I couldn't find a restriction in RFC 2578, or a recommendation guideline
in RFC 4181 that prohibits the use of underscores in integer enumerated
values labels. 
smilint 0.4.3 complains and NET-SNMP 5.1.x (aka. libsmi) complained
about the existence of underscores in an enumeration

Is there any clarification in some place about underscores usage?  

Thanks for any suggestion

Eduardo

---

From: Mark Ellison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 21:40:44 -0400

Hi Eduardo,

> Is there any clarification in some place about underscores usage?  
In RFC 2578 on page 21, section 7.1.1,  "Integer32 and INTEGER", the 
last paragraph states:

       Finally, a label for a named-number enumeration must consist of one
       or more letters or digits, up to a maximum of 64 characters, and the
       initial character must be a lower-case letter.  (However, labels
       longer than 32 characters are not recommended.)  Note that hyphens
       are not allowed by this specification (except for use by information
       modules converted from SMIv1 which did allow hyphens).

Hyphens are specifically addressed because they were allowed in SMIv1.  
Now, while an underscore is not a hyphen it is also not a 'letter' or a 
'digit', so your SMIv2 syntax compilers are going to complain.
> Thanks for any suggestion
HTH,

Mark
http://EllisonSoftware.com/

---

From: "Eduardo Cardona" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:41:08 -0600

Thanks Mark, 
That explains the issue clear. 

Eduardo

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Ellison [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:41 PM
To: Eduardo Cardona
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [IETFMIBS] Enumerations with underscores

Hi Eduardo,

       Finally, a label for a named-number enumeration must consist of
one
       or more letters or digits, up to a maximum of 64 characters, and
the
       initial character must be a lower-case letter.  (However, labels
       longer than 32 characters are not recommended.)  Note that
hyphens
       are not allowed by this specification (except for use by
information
       modules converted from SMIv1 which did allow hyphens).

HTH,

Mark