Subject: Re: [IETFMIBS] Enumerations with underscores

From: "Eduardo Cardona" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 08:53:47 -0600

David, fair enough, and thanks for the clarifications.

While I use smilint for new MIB modules validation, I used to verify the
issues of legacy or proprietary MIBs with e.g., NET-SNMP to realize the
practical impact of those on applications. Your hints will help me on
use better both applications in the future. 

Thanks

Eduardo

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Dave Shield
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 1:41 AM
To: Eduardo Cardona
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [IETFMIBS] Enumerations with underscores

2009/5/1 Eduardo Cardona <[email-masked]>:
> smilint 0.4.3 complains and NET-SNMP 5.1.x (aka. libsmi) complained
> about the existence of underscores in an enumeration

Just a quick clarification.
   libsmi is a product of the group at the Technical University of
Braunschweig, and hence related to (underpins?) smilint.   It has no
connection with the Net-SNMP project, which uses its own MIB parser.

As it happens, The Net-SNMP parser also (correctly) rejects
underscores within enumeration values.   But in general, our
MIB parser is not as strict as the libsmi/smilint one.

If you want to check the validity of your MIB definitions, smilint
is by far the better tool.  Please do not rely on the Net-SNMP
suite to ensure the correctness of your MIBs.  That's not really
what our software is intended for.

Dave

---

From: Dave Shield <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 08:41:11 +0100

Dave