Subject: [IMA] Mailto & ima (was RFC 2822 email addresses in tag URIs)

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:37:47 +0100

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 00:12:35 +0100, Frank Ellermann  
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> It's at a very early stage, and I won't bet that it flies in
> the next years, but OTOH it would be a bad plan if you limit
> tag URLs _unnecessarily_ in a way that cannot work with future
> I18N Mail Addresses (= IMA).

Yes. One of the ideas floated is that a person might have two email  
addresses - one in his native language and one in strict ASCII, and the  
mail delivery mechanism would deliver to the first if it knew how, but  
drop down to the second if it was forced to use existing SMTP  
implementations. But it should deliver to one or the other, but not both.

So how does the guy publish his email address on his web page - or how  
might one extend the mailto URI to provide that capability? I don't think  
this is the time to look into that seriously, but if anyone has any bright  
ideas as to how it might look, then it would be interesting to hear them.

Cc to <[email-masked]>, but Reply-To set here.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: yangwoo ko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:03:55 +0900

Charles Lindsey wrote:
> might one extend the mailto URI to provide that capability? I don't 
> think  this is the time to look into that seriously, but if anyone has 
> any bright  ideas as to how it might look, then it would be interesting 
> to hear them.
> 

Dear Charles Lindsey,

As defined in RFC 2368, a mailto URL designates an "internet
resource", which is the mailbox specified in the address.

If I have two addresses, one in Korean and the other in ASCII,
they are different addresses destined to two separate
mailboxes. Serving these two boxes as one unified box is in
the operator's discretion and hence out of mail specification
effort.

Regards

---

From: "YAO Jiankang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:31:57 +0800

Dear  Charles Lindsey,

      Thanks a lot for your comments.
      Yoshiro YONEYA will submit the draft:Downgrading mechanism for Internationalized eMail Address (IMA) ----draft-yoneya-ima-downgrade-00.txt soon.  This draft may solve the puzzle in the mind. Please keep an eye on it.

Yao Jiankang
CNNIC