Subject: [IEE] Fw: WG Review: Email Address Internationalization (eai)

From: "YAO Jiankang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:18:42 +0800

the attachment message is sent from Larry Masinter.

In order to prevent the possible spam, we set that only members of the list can send the messages to the list. 
sorry for the un-convenient caused by this set.
I have added Larry's email in the List of non-member addresses whose postings should be automatically accepted. 

Yao Jiankang
CNNIC
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Larry Masinter" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 12:37 AM
Subject: FW: WG Review: Email Address Internationalization (eai)

> Probably this should go to the ima list. 

Subject: RE: WG Review: Email Address Internationalization (eai)
From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
To: 'Martin Duerst' <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], 'Jamie Zawinski' <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:35:24 -0800

In reply to
>  >Should the group to also consider internationalization
>  >of "mailto" URIs,
>  >
>  >         draft-duerst-mailto-bis-01.txt
>  >
>  >because "email address internationalization" isn't fully
>  >specified without doing so.

Martin noted: 

> I think the general opinion (most prominently voiced by
> John Klensin) on the ima mailing list was that the WG should
> review draft-duerst-mailto-bis-01.txt, but not tie it up in
> formalities.
> (see http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ima/current/msg00087.html).
> 
> Did you come to a different conclusion, or are you just asking
> to make sure this has been thought about?

What John said was:

# I think some of us should just look at the thing, soon, and get
# comments to you, rather than tying things up in formalities.

and it's not clear that that's happened. I'd like to make sure
that it does happen. Adding "mailto" to the IMA WG charter would
be one way of insuring that it does happen.

Larry

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 01:17:58 -0500

>> (see
>> http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ima/current/msg00087.ht
>> ml).
>>
># I think some of us should just look at the thing, soon, and
># get comments to you, rather than tying things up in
># formalities.
>
> that it does happen. Adding "mailto" to the IMA WG charter
> would be one way of insuring that it does happen.

Larry,

Informally, it has happened.  Formally, it cannot happen because 
there is no WG to look.   Either way, looking now is nearly 
pointless because there are two separate issues in looking at 
the IRI form of mailto:

(i) Easy problem: Can the mailto IRI handle UTF-8 addresses? 
The answer is either "yes" or "no".  If it is "no", we need to 
do a little fussing.  No big deal either way, IMO.

(ii)  Hard problem:  It seems likely that one or more optional 
parameters will be introduced into the process to provide 
information needed to do downgrades.  We don't even have a 
complete downgrade proposal on the table yet, much less one that 
has been vetted through, and approved and/or adjusted by, a WG. 
If there are parameters, and arguments to some or all of those 
parameters, then MAILTO will need to be adjusted to permit them.

So you are far ahead of anything resembling a definitive answer 
in this area.

For the record, this is all just my personal opinion.

    john

p.s. whether you put a line in the charter requiring that 
someone formally take a look makes no difference to me and, with 
the possible exception of tying MAILTO up until this WG is 
finished, won't make any difference to what is done, either.