Subject: [EAI] Comments on draft--eai-pop-00

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:16:39 +0100

This seems pretty good. Just a few observations:

3.  UTF8 Capability

    ... The retrieved message MUST still be textual
    and otherwise formatted according to RFC 2822 [RFC2822] and MIME
    [RFC2045].
             ^
           as extended by [utf8headers]

5.  Up-Conversion Server Requirements

It is interesting that you have chosen to include up-conversion at the POP  
level, since I had always assumed this would be a function of the MUA  
(they are already in the business of up-converting RFC 2047 stuff, and  
even RFC 2231 stuff if they are doing a proper job). Moreover, MUAs which  
take good 'ol mbox format as their input will still need to know how to  
up-convert.

    The following charsets MUST be supported for up-conversion of MIME
    header encoding [RFC2047]: UTF-8, US-ASCII, ISO-8859-1, ISO-8859-2,
    ISO-8859-3, ISO-8859-4, ISO-8859-5, ISO-8859-6, ISO-8859-7,
    ISO-8859-8, ISO-8859-9, ISO-8859-10, ISO-8859-14, and ISO-8859-15.
    Other widely deployed MIME charsets SHOULD be supported.

Why do you want to support the ISO-8859-*? We are primarily concerned with  
UTF-8 here, so I would have thought the others were no more than SHOULD.

    Up-conversion of MIME header encoding of the following headers MUST
    also be implemented: Subject, Date (RFC 2822 comments only),
    Comments, Keywords, Content-Description.

    ... and MAY/SHOULD support various other headers {to be discussed},  
including things previously downgraded by RFC 2231.

    While this specification does not require it, server implementations
    are encouraged to up-convert all MIME body headers, and particularly
    the deprecated (and misused) name parameter [RFC1341] on Content-Type
    and the Content-Disposition [RFC2183] filename parameter.  These may
    be encoded using the standard MIME parameter encoding [RFC2231]
    mechanism, or via non-standard use of MIME header encoding [RFC2047]
    in quoted strings.

    Servers are also encouraged to up-convert the headers on embedded
    message/rfc822 body parts [TBD-ref].  Servers MAY convert the charset
    on MIME body parts to UTF-8, and MAY remove quoted-printable or
    base64 encodings as long as the resulting text complies with the
    requirements of the 8-bit content-transfer-encoding [RFC2045].

I am pleased to see that someone else is interested in those MIME body  
headers and message/rfc822 headers. All we need now is to get them  
included in the 'downgrade' document :-) .

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131                       
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima