Subject: [EAI] IMA representation in envelope and header

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:42:04 +0100

draft-klensin-emailaddr-i18n-03 says:

   4.  If internationalization is to be plausible, it is critical that
       addressing information be represented in essentially the same way
       in the message envelope (i.e., the SMTP command structure) and
       the message body (i.e., both message headers and, where feasible,
       message text).  Different encodings in different places,
       especially ones that are copied  back and forth, will make both
       mail system maintainers and operators and end users very unhappy.

We currently have the beginnings of a syntax for i14ed addresses with
downgrade information in the message header, which is different from the
representation in the message envelope. I suggest that the forward-path
and reverse-path parts of MAIL and RCPT commands should include the
downgrade information using essentially the same syntax as in the message
header, instead of separating it into extension parameters.

Tony.
-- 
f.a.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/
NORTH FORELAND TO SELSEY BILL: NORTHEASTERLY 3, OCCASIONALLY 4 OR 5 IN THE
EAST, OCCASIONALLY VARIABLE 2 OR 3 IN THE WEST. RAIN OR THUNDERY SHOWERS,
DYING OUT OVERNIGHT. MODERATE OR GOOD, OCCASIONALLY POOR DURING DAYTIME.
SLIGHT, BUT MODERATE IN THE EAST.

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima