Subject: [EAI] terminology issue

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 00:37:21 +0900 (JST)

I need clear terminology definitions.

(1) Protocol extension name : EAI or IEmail ?

  it is used as SMTP extention name, MIME message type name, and protocol name.

(2) a name which specifies US-ASCII mail address : US-ASCII address?

         ascii@ascii

(3) a name which specifies internationalized mail address: IMA?
       (3) does not include (2).

         utf8@utf8
	 ascii@utf8
	 utf8@ascii

(4) (2)+(3) : US-ASCII address + IMA : mail address?
       all mail addresses which are supported by EAI.

--
Kazunori Fujiwara, JPRS

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 15:17:57 -0400

> (1) Protocol extension name : EAI or IEmail ?

EAI has no mnemonic value in any language.  IEmail seems to be
the name of products from several companies and is sometimes
used as an abbreviation for "Internet email" (as compared to
various non-Internet things).   I still recommend i18nemail (or
i16demail for purists) as minimizing confusion and having some
significance.

> (2) a name which specifies US-ASCII mail address : US-ASCII

No good suggestions.  "traditional", "legacy", and variations on
"2821-address" come to mind.

>        all mail addresses which are supported by EAI.

I think this would make a good Monday discussion, although I'd
be pleased if someone had really good ideas.  I do not, but the
need to settle on something, and do so very soon, has become
clear.

    john