Subject: [EAI] Suggested additions to -headers- section 6.2

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 19:45:37 -0700

The heading of section 6.2 of draft-ietf-eai-utf8headers reads:

6.2.  Syntax extend from RFC 2822

   The following rules are intended to supersede the corresponding rules
   in RFC 2822.

  <followed by new definitions of ctext et al>

I suggest that we expand it by adding:

  This means that all the RFC 2822 constructs that build upon these will
permit UTF-8 characters,
  including comments and quoted strings.

  <<NOTE IN DRAFT: If any header needs to be restricted to disallow
this, please raise the issue
  on the mailing list.>>

  Note, however, that this does not remove any constraint on the
character set of protocol elements;
  for instance, all the allowed values for timezone in the Date: headers
are still expressed in ASCII.

The <<NOTE IN DRAFT>> is just to catch the attention of people who can
think of situations where we need to disallow this feature.

                      Harald

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima