Subject: [EAI] Downgrading ascii@utf8

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:25:12 +0100

If I have an address with an ASCII-only local part and a UTF-8 domain
part, with no alternate address and no "atomic" ACE-downgradable flag, is
it OK for me to downgrade it by punycoding the domain part?

Tony.
-- 
f.a.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/
FAEROES SOUTHEAST ICELAND: WEST 5 OR 6 BACKING SOUTH 5 TO 7, OCCASIONALLY 4
FOR A TIME IN FAEROES. SHOWERS AT FIRST, RAIN LATER IN SOUTHEAST ICELAND.
MODERATE OR GOOD.

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: Edmon Chung <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:46:44 -0400

As far as I understand that is yes.
Because that is a matter of IDN specifications where it says punycode must be used in all non-IDN-aware domain slots, which this would be one.
Edmon

---

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:27:58 +0100

> As far as I understand that is yes. Because that is a matter of IDN
> specifications where it says punycode must be used in all non-IDN-aware
> domain slots, which this would be one.

Good :-)

I think the documents should be clearer that the downgrade restrictions
apply to the use of UTF8 in the local part only.

Tony.
-- 
f.a.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/
LANDS END TO ST DAVIDS HEAD INCLUDING THE BRISTOL CHANNEL: EAST OR NORTHEAST 3
OR 4, OCCASIONALLY 5. FAIR. GOOD. SLIGHT TO MODERATE.