Subject: Re: [EAI] IMA representation in envelope and header

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 17:24:26 -0400

--On Monday, 26 June, 2006 15:42 +0100 Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> draft-klensin-emailaddr-i18n-03 says:
> 
>    4.  If internationalization is to be plausible, it is
> critical that        addressing information be represented in
> essentially the same way        in the message envelope (i.e.,
> the SMTP command structure) and        the message body (i.e.,
> both message headers and, where feasible,        message
> text).  Different encodings in different places,
> especially ones that are copied  back and forth, will make both
>        mail system maintainers and operators and end users
> very unhappy.
> 
> We currently have the beginnings of a syntax for i14ed
> addresses with downgrade information in the message header,
> which is different from the representation in the message
> envelope. I suggest that the forward-path and reverse-path
> parts of MAIL and RCPT commands should include the downgrade
> information using essentially the same syntax as in the message
> header, instead of separating it into extension parameters.

Tony,

This may or may not be a good idea -- see note to be posted in a
few minutes -- but don't cite draft-klensin-emailadder-i18n as
justification.  First, it has been replaced by other drafts, is
not on the WGs agenda or authoritative in any other way.
Second, most or all of the changes made since it was posted were
made for a reason.  And finally, and most important, that
section refers to encoding and not the syntax in which it is
embedded.   If one were using some sort of ACE or hexification
in the envelope but UTF-8 in the headers, that would violate the
principle as stated.  Doing something different in terms of
syntax in the headers than the envelope does not: those syntaxes
differ already, with address list in headers and separate RCPT
commands in envelope, with required pointed brackets in the
envelope and optional ones in the headers, etc.

    john

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima