Subject: [EAI] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Email Address Internationalization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: SMTP extension for internationalized email address
	Author(s)	: J. Yao, W. Mao
	Filename	: draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-01.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2006-7-26
	
Internationalized email address includes two parts, the local part
and the domain part.  The way email addresses are used by protocols
are different from the way domain names are used.  The most critical
difference is that emails are delivered through a chain of peering
clients and servers while domain names are resolved by name servers
by looking up their own tables.  In addition to this, email transport
protocols SMTP and ESMTP provide a negotiation mechanism through
which clients can make decisions for further processing.  So
internationalized email address is different from the
internationalized domain name (IDN).  It can be solved by exploiting
the negotiation mechanism while IDN can not use the negotiation
mechanism.  So internationalized email address SHOULD be solved in
the mail transport-level using the negotiation mechanism, which is an
architecturally desirable approach.  This document specifies the use
of SMTP extension for internationalized email address delivery.  It
also mentions the backward compatible mechanism for downgrade
procedure, as specified in an associated specification.  The protocol
proposed here is MTA-level solution which is feasible,
architecturally more elegant, and not as difficult to deploy in
relevant communities.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima